05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Install the onboard computer ?

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/12, 12:30 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install the onboard computer ?

I have the 2006 mustang gt but it doesn't have the computer that indicates the average mpg, instant mpg, MTE, etc on the dashboard.
So I was wondering if it is possible to install this kind of nice feature and if so, how ?
thanks to all of you
Old 7/4/12, 12:52 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm not even sure if that is possible. And if something aftermarket is available, I'm not sure how accurate it would be. That's a lot of logic factored into the new ECMs. Probably something to do with fuel pressure/injector pulse width/mph. I guess it can be done but probably not worth the effort.
Old 7/4/12, 02:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just thinking about this exact same thing for my 07 GT the other day. Hope to see someone chime in with a prospective answer indicating it can be done..
Old 7/4/12, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i installed the mycolor cluster with info center on my 05 base V6 car. its really nice to have those features. there probably is some aftermarket stuff out there, maybe someone will know. heres a post i did when i did mine. its been a couple years but they still have the clusters. the gt cluster is available also.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tml?highlight=
Old 7/4/12, 09:18 AM

you cold try this
http://www.ot-2.com/
and then downlaod log works from itunes
Old 7/4/12, 11:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Depending on your year model, it can be done. You'll need to pop off the plastic piece where the "buttons" for the message center are. If the wiring harness is there, then I believe it's all just plug 'n' play. You'll need to get a new cluster and have a dealer program your mileage and info into it, and get the buttons.

They used to leave the harness in all the cars, whether it had mycolor or not, but at some point (which I don't remember anymore) they stopped leaving them in. There's plenty of people that have done it, but you'll probably have to search waaay back to find any of the threads.
Old 7/4/12, 11:39 AM
V6 Member

Awesome, thank you so much for that ! I will check this up and will probably do it
Old 7/4/12, 11:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by sebvegas
Awesome, thank you so much for that ! I will check this up and will probably do it
This also might be a good opportunity to upgrade to a GT or GT500 cluster, if that's your thing.
Old 7/4/12, 12:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
This also might be a good opportunity to upgrade to a GT or GT500 cluster, if that's your thing.
It is already a GT, so I guess I will probably install the gt500 cluster Sounds perfect to me as far as my mustang has already the shelby rims

(Maybe I can find that on ebay ?)

Last edited by sebvegas; 7/4/12 at 12:05 PM.
Old 7/4/12, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
It can absolutely be done.

My 05 GT was a base car (no Mycolor or messages centre), and I bought the buttons and the Mycolor cluster for it. Plug and play, and everything works as it should.

You will need the dealer to download the data from your old cluster into the new one, though.
Old 7/4/12, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you use a Shelby cluster, though, the psi guage will not work, if you are ok with having a dead guage.
Old 7/4/12, 12:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

It is already a GT, so I guess I will probably install the gt500 cluster Sounds perfect to me as far as my mustang has already the shelby rims

It couldn't hurt to look. I'd also check around at junk yards. There's also a member on here that sells parts (https://themustangsource.com/members/05stangkc-92873/). You might try checking with him also.
Originally Posted by jim010
If you use a Shelby cluster, though, the psi guage will not work, if you are ok with having a dead guage.
What he said. Just something to be aware of...
Old 7/4/12, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

theres just a couple small catches to a junk yard or ebay cluster. the mileage and the v in # are stored in the cluster, not the pcm. you cant change either of those things. if theres a issue and it needs to be flashed with your build data, most dealers will not do it if the vin # does not match the car.(odometer fraud)

if it all works good, then great deal. going through fords there are no issues, but its not cheap. that place i posted in my write up was the cheapest i found at that time. they are actually reconditioned as new by delphi/ford and programed with your vin# and correct mileage, new stepper motors, new face ect. tonight i`ll add a email address on here for a guy to contact to ask for pricing.
Old 7/4/12, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
theres just a couple small catches to a junk yard or ebay cluster. the mileage and the v in # are stored in the cluster, not the pcm. you cant change either of those things. if theres a issue and it needs to be flashed with your build data, most dealers will not do it if the vin # does not match the car.(odometer fraud)

if it all works good, then great deal. going through fords there are no issues, but its not cheap. that place i posted in my write up was the cheapest i found at that time. they are actually reconditioned as new by delphi/ford and programed with your vin# and correct mileage, new stepper motors, new face ect. tonight i`ll add a email address on here for a guy to contact to ask for pricing.
Wow, I didn't even realize Delphi was still around, looking forward to your follow-up.
Old 7/4/12, 02:40 PM
V6 Member

Thank you for that, it will help me to find the right deal
Old 7/4/12, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's the original thread:

https://themustangsource.com/f700/my...ctions-400516/
Old 7/4/12, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Pete07GT
Wow, I didn't even realize Delphi was still around, looking forward to your follow-up.
there is no follow up. i did that cluster swap a couple years ago, made a write up with the install pics and all the info and posted it. its been great now for 50k miles. delphi is in dearborn michigan

ya jim, lots of guys have done that swap. i cant remember but one of the forum guys did a write up on how to wire the mycolor even if it doesnt have the wire harness. guess it depends how bad you want it.

i did have to have my new cluster flashed at the for dealer to remove a warning message. its 1/2 labor charge, here it was $45.00 and took about 10 minutes.

heres the guy to email to ask about or get a price on a cluster: wyatt@horizonford.com
or you can just call on the phone. the number is on the website:
https://www.trademotion.com/memberse...&siteid=214072

Last edited by amustangrocks; 7/4/12 at 05:23 PM.
Old 7/5/12, 06:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Toulsey Ford sells the GT500 cluster for $347.60 plus a refundable $300 core charge once you return the old cluster. They use to be a lot more cheaper about a year ago, but I guess the older our 05-09's get, the more Ford wants for these things.

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/part...RUMENT%20PANEL
Old 7/5/12, 01:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
I have the Shelby cluster and the boost gauge is correct as long as my full sweep boost gauge is reading a negative number
Old 7/6/12, 12:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT

I have the Shelby cluster and the boost gauge is correct as long as my full sweep boost gauge is reading a negative number
What was your total investment? I'm thinking in the future when I twin my S197, the boost gauge would be interesting to have if fictional?

Quick Reply: Install the onboard computer ?