05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Illuminated ignition key ring

Old 5/15/14, 01:16 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Question Illuminated ignition key ring

So what do you guys think of this as a mod for our cars?
Something cool, or something that should be left for cars like Honda...

Ive seen it illuminate blue when the doors are unlocked and flashes red when they are locked (like the security feature).
Or lights up when doors are unlocked and turns off when the key is inserted.

Just curious what you guys think.

Last edited by VGMStudios; 2/19/15 at 07:15 AM.
Old 5/15/14, 01:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
It's not something I've just gotta have, but I wouldn't mind having it (if it's really cheap). Honestly though, I'd probably never even notice it.
Old 5/15/14, 04:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I kind of like the idea, but with our columns the way the are, I don't see any real benefit of the mod. The only person who could see it would be the passenger. lol. It certainly wouldn't take much to do it. A rope light, continuous style, would work and you'd just glue the ends when you finish the loop.

I bought some of it, with a controller to turn it on off, but with only 4 aaa batteries, didn't find much use for it. It was only about 4.00 and put out a pretty aquaish blue light. Using this style rope, with a 7805 voltage reducer from Radio Shack, would drop the voltage to 5 and be almost identical to that of the 4 aaa batteries. Hmm. Might have to look into that this weekend when I'm home again. It might be the answer to your question VGM.

Something on this order. They seem to of gone up to about 10 or so, but still a cheap, clean mod, with 1.79 for the regulator, under 15 and you are set. It would work across the dash for those who want that glow look. It would fit right at the base of the upper applique and probably wouldn't look bad at all. It would be like the upholstery trim for our door panels that some have used to accent their dashes. It would work great for those who don't have ambient lighting and if one color would work, be perfect for the inside the cup holders. It bends like a rubber band, it's thin and wouldn't take any room inside. All in all it would be perfect accent to the dash if a person wanted color. Ricey, maybe. Colorful, definitely. lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-FLEXIBLE-NEON-LIGHT-GLOW-EL-WIRE-ROPE-TUBE-CAR-DANCE-PARTY-MOTORCYCLE-RAVE-/131189593918?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item1e8b82573e
This is where the this style light could go on the dash with no problem. This was the only dash I could find with the trim I was suggesting.
Attached Images  

Last edited by akdoggie; 5/15/14 at 04:57 PM.
Old 9/8/14, 09:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by VGMStudios
So what do you guys this of this as a mod for our cars?
Something cool, or something that should be left for cars like Honda...

Ive seen it illuminate blue when the doors are unlocked and flashes red when they are locked (like the security feature).
Or lights up when doors are unlocked and turns off when the key is inserted.

Just curious what you guys think.
I like the idea helps to keep from scratching with key all around and the bus would match my dash door sills and stereo any idea who sells these please
Old 10/15/14, 09:19 AM

you can check ebay. Other than that Im not even sure where to buy it.
I did find this DIY for the honda fit. Maybe you could use that to give you an idea how to do it?
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-g...-ring-diy.html
Old 10/15/14, 08:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was out playing around today and found a source for this light kit. It really fits the Honda's, Toy's etc, looks to be an easy add to our cars. I saw it in a Focus, which has the same switch as a Mustang, so I certainly don't see why it wouldn't work. Its' 39. for either red white or blue. You have to state your color when ordering.

http://shop.microimageonline.com/LED...?categoryId=-1

Last edited by akdoggie; 10/15/14 at 08:20 PM.
Old 2/18/15, 08:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

1990-1994 Toyota cars use a nifty little ring unit that goes right around our Ford switch. You have to remove the lower column cover but that is easy. You also have to remove the rubber plug that goes around the key cylinder, but that is very simple. Once it is removed it slips right around the cylinder. It has a #74 bulb, so its easy to find any color you want for the bulb. I chose to go with ice blue, and a picture is shown of the assembly with the blue bulb.

As far as wiring it up, these can be used with 5 volts and up, which is good since our SBJ's drop voltage to 5V's anyways. My pictures show it with a discharged 9 volt and the color and beam is quite bright still. Depending on the year you install these on, will decide where you want to attach them. If you have an 08 and up, you can hook into the ambient harness even if you don't have ambient lighting. The harness is there, so that is the absolute simplist. 05 to 07, you should attach to the right side pillar harness for the dome lights, that way they go on and off with the door lock or opening of the door itself.
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated ignition key ring-dsc02660.jpg   Illuminated ignition key ring-dsc02662.jpg   Illuminated ignition key ring-dsc02664.jpg   Illuminated ignition key ring-dsc02665.jpg  
Old 2/19/15, 07:14 AM

D@mn dude, thats great!! Nice find!!! I didnt think anyone would be interested in this and the thread was dead! I may have to look into this more now! Will you install it in your car?

Last edited by VGMStudios; 2/20/15 at 07:18 AM.
Old 2/19/15, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes this is going into the Mustang this spring. Once I found this ring, I went and removed the rubber plug around the cylinder, and checked to see if it would fit. It was perfect in size. I've been like others, wondering where the key light was. Now with this, it is a simple add on. Toyota of all things to not put in a Ford. lol.
Old 2/25/15, 08:55 AM

hey AK do you think these would fit?
`http://www.ebay.com/itm/B5-99-PONTIAC-GRAND-AM-IGNITION-CYLINDER-ILLUMINATED-RING-/271639088763?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3ef38e7b&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Q1-00-NISSAN-MAXIMA-IGNITION-ILLUMINATED-RING-/281392978675?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4184541af3&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/90-96-NISSAN-300ZX-IGNITION-KEY-RING-LIGHT-Z32-/251821234127?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3aa1b717cf&vxp=mtr

Last edited by VGMStudios; 2/25/15 at 08:57 AM.
Old 2/25/15, 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes i believe any of these should work. The second looks bigger, but I believe it is the same sized. Number 3 is the exact one I have and am going to install soon. Good luck.
Old 3/5/15, 12:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by akdoggie
Yes i believe any of these should work. The second looks bigger, but I believe it is the same sized. Number 3 is the exact one I have and am going to install soon. Good luck.

Keep us posted! Would love to see how this mod looks after you have finished. A "how to" would be nice!

I wonder if this would fit in my Tacoma as well?
Old 6/20/15, 01:40 PM

So after getting all the parts that I needed I went to install the key ring only to find out that it's too small.
so the one AK mentioned does not fit. Argh! Back to the drawing board and I was all excited too.

Question though. There is already something that goes around the key ring that's plugged in. If you take the cover off it has a copper ring attached to a pcb board.
anyone know what that is?
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated ignition key ring-20150620_154559.jpg  

Last edited by VGMStudios; 6/20/15 at 03:13 PM.
Old 6/20/15, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

VGM. What is the ring you are showing from? Mine does not have the circuit board attached. Mine is out of the mid 90's Toyotas and if anything, it is a bit too big by an 1/8 of an inch. Too small doesn't seem right. I used the rubber ring from the Mustang also, so that is fit much tighter than the original fit did. An Oring would of been perfect, but I didn't want to run down to Oriellys for one piece. Mine is sitting in there, but it is not attached to wiring yet. I just put back on my outside mirrors with the puddle lamps inserted, but have to wire them and will do it this week along with the light ring. I pulled out my Homelink mirror and installed a SYNC mirror recently. It is wired now into the SYNC box in place of the remote microphone. It is much clearer than the original SYNC remote microphone.
Old 6/20/15, 09:26 PM

As I said. That is from my car. It was already there when I took off the cover.
I don't know what it is or what is does. All I know is that it's plugged in for some reason.

The illuminated ring that I got is to small. Do you have pictures of yours and the process?
Looking forward to seeing your upgrades man.
oh and I can only assume that you never sent the unit parts again right?
Cheers
Old 6/20/15, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
So after getting all the parts that I needed I went to install the key ring only to find out that it's too small.
so the one AK mentioned does not fit. Argh! Back to the drawing board and I was all excited too.

Question though. There is already something that goes around the key ring that's plugged in. If you take the cover off it has a copper ring attached to a pcb board.
anyone know what that is?
Can you get me a pic of the plug? And how many wires and what colours are they?
Old 6/20/15, 10:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PATS key transponder
Old 6/20/15, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Earlsays
PATS key transponder
Thanks for that!
I had to Google what that was. Looks like it's needed.
Jim do you still need the pin and wires?
Old 6/20/15, 11:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks for that!
I had to Google what that was. Looks like it's needed.
Jim do you still need the pin and wires?
No need since it has been identified.
Old 6/21/15, 07:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

As I said. That is from my car. It was already there when I took off the cover.
I don't know what it is or what is does. All I know is that it's plugged in for some reason.

The illuminated ring that I got is to small. Do you have pictures of yours and the process?
Looking forward to seeing your upgrades man.
oh and I can only assume that you never sent the unit parts again right?
Cheers
Sorry, but no I didn't resend it. I was so upset with the PO on your end, that I just never resent it. Tell me exactly what you need and I will send that. Putting all the electronics in the box with the screen makes it usable to your Custom's department for some reason. I'm sure we can send pieces, but your guys there, weren't very cooperative last time. I have no use for the stuff, so you are welcome to it. I just don't want to go thru what I did last time. Let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Illuminated ignition key ring