05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

I want to paint mt center console gloss black ...

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/10 | 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I want to paint mt center console gloss black ...

like this:

Is this something that I can do myself or is it best left to a paint shop? Any paint experts care to offer their opinion?
Old 6/14/10 | 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

I've seen a few people do it themselves I will try to find the links on here.... But I do like it.
Old 6/14/10 | 01:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I should be getting my new center console since i drilled a hole for a switch in the factory console and now i am not useing the switch. The new console will be going to my painter to get painted, same for my door handle cups, window switch plate, radio sail panels and the radio section. Everything should be done sometime next week if he does not get a heavy workload during the week.
Old 6/14/10 | 09:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You *can* do it yourself. But to get it glossy *and* flat, it takes patience and know how.

And black? Doubly so.

But it can be done, and you can do it. You might want to practice on some other piece to get a feel for how to do it though.

You'll need a filler primer to paint with to get it flat, a stirring stick and a sanding block (Highly important, these) to flatten out the primer. You will do this over and over. The sanding block is a rougher 'plane' than the stirring stick. You will require a *ton* of various grit wet-sanding paper, and lots of water. Hope you don't mind staining the driveway.

And that's just for the primer at 1000 and 1500 grit. You get to do it again after you finish coat it with 2000 grain or better.

I would do the primer, sand, primer, sand, then shoot 2-3 coats of color, and *at least* 3 coats of clear. Then sand the clear until it's pretty.

And then buff it with a nice polishing compound, then wax.

See? Easy!

Last edited by houtex; 6/14/10 at 09:05 PM.
Old 6/14/10 | 09:09 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by houtex
You *can* do it yourself. But to get it glossy *and* flat, it takes patience and know how.
Will this adhere since its a vinyl type surface that is flexible?

Old 6/15/10 | 05:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by houtex

And black? Doubly so.

But it can be done, and you can do it. You might want to practice on some other piece to get a feel for how to do it though.

You'll need a filler primer to paint with to get it flat, a stirring stick and a sanding block (Highly important, these) to flatten out the primer. You will do this over and over. The sanding block is a rougher 'plane' than the stirring stick. You will require a *ton* of various grit wet-sanding paper, and lots of water. Hope you don't mind staining the driveway.

And that's just for the primer at 1000 and 1500 grit. You get to do it again after you finish coat it with 2000 grain or better.

I would do the primer, sand, primer, sand, then shoot 2-3 coats of color, and *at least* 3 coats of clear. Then sand the clear until it's pretty.

And then buff it with a nice polishing compound, then wax.

See? Easy!
I think you just convinced me to pay a shop to do it.

I may try to find a console at a junkyard to practice on, buy honestly, I barely have time to wash my car these days, let alone do this.

Anyone have a guess as to a decent price a shop would charge for this?
Old 6/15/10 | 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

youre probably looking at about $75-$150, hopefully no more, certainly no less
Old 6/15/10 | 08:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Will this adhere since its a vinyl type surface that is flexible?

That is a great question.

Typically, I seal "iffy" parts with epoxy primer first, then sandable primer and paint, if not etching primer for the really slick stuff, i.e, scuffed chrome or polished pieces.

As this isn't terribly flexible in the car, I wouldn't have any issue just shooting it. But if you treat it like a bumper, then the same rules used to paint that would apply. You can use adhesion promoter, or get flex additive added.
Old 6/15/10 | 08:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

you'd want it to look like a Baby Grand piano finish correct !

Last edited by GottaHaveIt; 6/15/10 at 08:52 PM.
Old 6/16/10 | 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Put a 5.0 in that thing and we're done.
Old 6/27/10 | 05:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Dropping my sail panels off today to get some gloss black/clear on them.

I cant decide on the center console area....It takes some abuse..not allot but some.
Do you have any better pix of it??
Old 7/19/10 | 04:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

This center console plastic is very tricky. I primed mine a while back and still never really adhered even used adhesion promoter on it too. This plastic is almost like a mix of acrylic and rubber all in one. I totally customized mine as I got sick of that cupholder staring at me. I am making a template now and will be covering it with "ultra suede" or "alcantera" like material instead. Got do some sewing though
Old 7/19/10 | 05:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Got it all back together...Im pretty happy with it.

Old 7/19/10 | 06:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

To each his own taste, but I prefer the look of the brushed aluminum, It helps to break up and compliment all the black.
Old 7/19/10 | 08:08 AM
Cobra R Member

The stock look of the IUP isnt bad...but this car is not a stock car.