05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

How to "fix" the cheap interior?

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/05, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW
Old 9/29/05, 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Paris MkVI@September 29, 2005, 2:49 PM
If my '69 Mustang was any indicator, you won't have to wait 15 years to find out about "retro" dash splits! I bought the car in 1977, and the dash was already split on both sides of the radio speaker grille.

I'm glad there's not a center speaker channel in the new Mustang!
Covered that up in my 70 with a bandana pinned in. Changed it a few times due to fading or just my desire for a change. Looked good.

Miss the big swooping dash of the 69/70 interior.
Old 9/30/05, 04:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@September 27, 2005, 7:44 PM
I don't get it. I think the interior of this car is great! It's not a Bently, or even a Lexus, but in this class it far surpasses my expectations. I've got the IUP and ICAP... I'm not changing a thing.
I'm with ya John! Other than the gauges on the pillar and a few accents, I'm not changing a thing. I think Ford did a great job on the interior
Old 9/30/05, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Link for the Arm Rest upgrade????
Old 9/30/05, 09:47 AM
V6 Member

I would suggest fine Corinthian leather.
Old 9/30/05, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9/30/05, 12:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by AFChief@September 30, 2005, 1:23 PM
KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10/3/05, 11:14 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by clockworks@September 29, 2005, 5:55 PM

I also think there is somewhat of a misunderstanding in this thread. I *like* the way interior looks. I don't really want to change the way it *looks*...simply replace some parts with some higher quality parts (the fake chrome comes to mind).

So what you are saying is, you want to replace the chrome covered plastic trim with the same thing, only better material? Why? I guess I still don't understand. If you end up with the same look how is different material going to make it better, especially if there is nothing wrong with it in the first place. I could understand if, lets say, the chrome bezels were to crack after 12 months, then yes, I would be looking for a better replacement.
Old 10/4/05, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

My only complaint about materials in the interior is the plastic pieces at the bottom of the seats. They scratch and scuff too easy when shoes rub on them. That "camera case" finish on the rest of the interior would do the trick. That's it. Other than that it's perfect.
Old 10/4/05, 02:12 PM
GT Member

I'm still waiting for someone to come out with the satin silver finish A/C vent rings (like we see in pics of the GT500 concept car) as I would like it to be a little less flashy, but still good looking. I could see MGW Ltd. making these, but I don't know how tricky they are to remove and install.

Of course, it's possible that without the contrast of the darker IUP we saw in the GT500 concept pictures, the rings wouldn't show off, because satin silver is kinda what the IUP is already. So I want satin silver, and would buy a set to try them, but I'm not 100% sure about it. I do know that the satin A/C ***** and satin GT shift **** -- from MGW -- are totally, 100% groovy.
Old 10/17/05, 10:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm not a big fan of the Crome surrounds that come with IUP, but with the rumors of the Darker IUP coming out in December, I'll wait to see what that offers..I'm hoping its a satin color.
Old 10/17/05, 07:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am looking forward to the darker IUP and the aftermarket that will definitely start coming out with additional pieces as well. (radio ****, A/C controls, etc)

Old 10/17/05, 08:13 PM
GT Member

I've read many responses to posts about cheap materials that go something like:

"Well, it's a cheap car, so..."

I'm sorry, but $30K for a premium GT with ICAP does not qualify as "cheap" in my book.
In fact, it is the 2nd most expensive vehicle I've ever owned.
If I had not put such a large down payment on mine, I'd be looking at a $300–500 monthly car payment.
That ain't cheap, folks.

When I think of cheap cars, I think of Kia, Hyundai, or even Honda Civic.
The kind of car that you don't have to put squat down on, and still have $200/mo. car payments.
Old 10/18/05, 01:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think "cheap" is a relative term. IMHO the Cadillac CTS (or whtaever the small one is) looks cheap. For that matter most GM cars do. The new Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan look great, like the VW interiors. I looked at a new Lincoln Zephyr, the interior is amazing to the point of being luxury overkill, but under the skin it's a Fusion.

I think Ford kept the Mustang intentionally basic. It's not a luxury car. The chrome is minimal. There's no wood. But what is there is well put together: good ergonomics, no rattles, comfortable seats and nice materials. Sure there's plastic, but what new car isn't? They put the "real" money in the engine, tires, wheels, brakes and exhaust. Ford product planners seemed a little surprised initially at the popularity of the IUP package...that should say something about what they perceived as the "Mustang Mission".

Yet I wouldn't be surprised to see some shuffling of the Mustang models and content. Like when the Altima came out, Nissan got some flak for their perceived cheap interiors...and they redid them a year or two later. But the mid FWD market is very competitive and VW was the bench mark. Mustang is pretty much alone in the market and light years ahead of the last Camaro/Firebird. With the $$$ Cobra there will probably be some detail upgrades and changes passed down to the regular GT. And the base V6 models (with the plastic wheel covers) may be more minimal in the future.
Old 10/18/05, 07:14 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just had a thought. The Ford GT is a $150,000+ car, and it's interior seems 'cheaper' than the Mustang's. If you want luxury, go buy a Maibach.
Old 10/18/05, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sell your Mustang and buy a BMW. My 05 Mustang GT with the IUP is no where cheap looking. I have been in some really nice vehicles. I used to drive my dads A8L quite often and various other german cars that he has owned. My friend's 996 TT looked cheap interior wise compared to my dad's A8. A performance car really doesn't need a plush interior. Instead, he money is better spent on performance aspects of the vehicle. This is the same philosophy in he S197 Mustangs. You have to expect some minor cost cutting in the plastics and materials in a 25K performance dollar car. Again, if you want interior refinement, go buy a luxury car.
Old 10/19/05, 11:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly why I searched to find a BASE STRIPPED MUSTANG. I want to do it MY WAY. All my Mustangs in the past, I've gone for the whole shooting match. Only to be taking off all the goodies to make it personal, for me. With this basic V-6 5-speed, I only paid $17,800. and got a Fresh Car. I've got the RedLineGoods leather, Katskinz seating, Real Carbon Fiber upgrades, MGW *****, Short throw shifter w/MRT Custom ****. Under the hood, a lot of re-wiring, powder-coating, and a supercharger are underway. Suspension see's a lot of Steeda, Eibach, Kenny Bell, Brembo & some personal work. Soooo, in a nutshell. It's the lest I've ever paid for a Brand New Stang, and it is everything I ever wanted. Wait till you see the final Paint!! (I love the possibilites, and your just never done!!)
Old 10/19/05, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by FLAstangx3@October 19, 2005, 11:08 AM
Exactly why I searched to find a BASE STRIPPED MUSTANG. I want to do it MY WAY. All my Mustangs in the past, I've gone for the whole shooting match. Only to be taking off all the goodies to make it personal, for me. With this basic V-6 5-speed, I only paid $17,800. and got a Fresh Car. I've got the RedLineGoods leather, Katskinz seating, Real Carbon Fiber upgrades, MGW *****, Short throw shifter w/MRT Custom ****. Under the hood, a lot of re-wiring, powder-coating, and a supercharger are underway. Suspension see's a lot of Steeda, Eibach, Kenny Bell, Brembo & some personal work. Soooo, in a nutshell. It's the lest I've ever paid for a Brand New Stang, and it is everything I ever wanted. Wait till you see the final Paint!! (I love the possibilites, and your just never done!!)
I think you've hit the nail on the head. So many people "personalize/customize" their Mustangs, that Ford intentionally left a relatively blank canvas to work from....interior and exterior, if you want to w/o many options. It's fine plain as is. Some people like their steak with mushrooms or A1 or onions....I prefer plain!
Old 10/24/05, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

I gotta jump in. One of the comments made by Ford, I think by Tau, before the Mustang was available to the public was that it had the quality of a $30 car's interior in a sub-$20k car. :scratch: I don't think anybody who own's one would agree. The interior shows the many cost cutting efforts, especially in the look and feel of the plastics and the cheap carpet. It is still a fine car, but just needs some additional refinement. I too am waiting to see what that aftermarket comes out with.
Old 10/24/05, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no problem with th interior of the new mustang with the exception to the three fake chrome pieces on the steering wheel they scratch easy and in a few places there are a few minor dents. I can only assume that the dents are from opening CD cases while driving. Are there any mods for the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: How to "fix" the cheap interior?