05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

How to "fix" the cheap interior?

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/05, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the major complaints about the new Mustang is that the interior is made up of cheap parts. What can be done to alleviate this? I don't really want to change the look, persay, but I would like to have some "quality" material in there. Maybe some better plastic? Real chrome around the AC vents? Any ideas? Is there an aftermarket for this type of stuff?
Old 9/27/05, 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe a leather wrapped steering wheel/brake/shifter and REAL carbon fiber trim over some of the plastic console/dash?

http://www.wowtrim.com/index.asp?PageActio...ROD&ProdID=8470

http://www.carxccessory.com/carxcces...c-fd5009.html#
Old 9/27/05, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start with the following:
http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_2005-present.shtml

Get one of everything in the triple chrome finish. I installed mine over the weekend (takes all of 5 minutes) and it transformed the interior.

If you don't already have the IUP, order the double brushed aluminum dash overlays off of Ebay to get the same look.

Remember, though, it's a Mustang--if you can pay attention to your interior, you aren't going fast enough.
Old 9/27/05, 05:41 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't get it. I think the interior of this car is great! It's not a Bently, or even a Lexus, but in this class it far surpasses my expectations. I've got the IUP and ICAP... I'm not changing a thing.
Old 9/27/05, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree, the interior could be better, but I bought a cheap car sooooo . . . that's why I am changing so many things myself. Gotta love the aftermarket!
Old 9/28/05, 12:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by clockworks@September 27, 2005, 12:35 PM
One of the major complaints about the new Mustang is that the interior is made up of cheap parts. What can be done to alleviate this?
Am I misunderstanding what you wrote or you really want to change your car's interior appearance because some other people don't like the quality of the Mustang's interior ?
If this is indeed the case, man, you should try listening more to yourself rather than see what other people think of your car...I mean, if you don't like it, okay I understand...but if this is some other person pressure, forget about it...come on...
Old 9/28/05, 05:36 AM

It's a *little* cheap (I mean come on, look at the automatic shifter) but it's not too bad. I am a little annoyed that the IUP door sill trim was literally starting to pop off when I got in the car the day I got it. I need to reglue that or something.

I think I'm about the only Mustang owner that finds all those chrome billet pieces to be too gaudy.
Old 9/28/05, 06:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'll probably look into getting the center console/armrest and dash covered in real leather with a thin amount of padding underneath the armrest. This will help it coordinate better with the Premium "leather" seats and steering wheel, make the armrest more comfortable, while giving it more of a true retro look. Lets see if I can avoid getting the retro dash splits 15 years from now!
Old 9/28/05, 07:16 AM
jlb
GT Member

I have the IUP on a GT premium and have to say, I think the fit/finish of the interior is great. I mean, this is not a "luxury" car. Simple, no frills, some would say plain...I say just right.
Old 9/28/05, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Legion681@September 28, 2005, 12:27 AM
Am I misunderstanding what you wrote or you really want to change your car's interior appearance because some other people don't like the quality of the Mustang's interior ?
If this is indeed the case, man, you should try listening more to yourself rather than see what other people think of your car...I mean, if you don't like it, okay I understand...but if this is some other person pressure, forget about it...come on...
What are you, a shrink? Jesus buddy, why don't you ASSUME that I'm not a donkey named jack instead of ASSUMING that I am?

"One of the major complaints about the new Mustang THAT I AGREE WITH is that the interior is made up of cheap parts."

There, happy? Am I cured?

I personally don't like a lot of the "cheap" plastic and *fake* chrome.

Futhermore, since I'm ranting. I don't need people to tell me "you bought a cheap car, so don't expect the interior to be very nice." NO poo, that's why I'm asking how I can make it better.

Rant over, sorry long day at work. Don't take this post so seriously.

Thanks to the people who posted those links. Those chrome pieces look pretty cool, do you have pics of them in your cars?
Old 9/28/05, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by S.SubZero@September 28, 2005, 5:39 AM
I think I'm about the only Mustang owner that finds all those chrome billet pieces to be too gaudy.
I was kinda thinking that too, that's why I wanted to see them actually installed in someone's car. I also wonder if silver (instead of chrome) wouldn't be as gaudy.
Old 9/29/05, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@September 28, 2005, 8:59 AM
Lets see if I can avoid getting the retro dash splits 15 years from now!
If my '69 Mustang was any indicator, you won't have to wait 15 years to find out about "retro" dash splits! I bought the car in 1977, and the dash was already split on both sides of the radio speaker grille.

I'm glad there's not a center speaker channel in the new Mustang!
Old 9/29/05, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by clockworks@September 28, 2005, 11:09 PM
What are you, a shrink? Jesus buddy, why don't you ASSUME that I'm not a donkey named jack instead of ASSUMING that I am?

"One of the major complaints about the new Mustang THAT I AGREE WITH is that the interior is made up of cheap parts."

There, happy? Am I cured?

1) My profession is none of your concern.
2) Your answers don't make me happy or unhappy, as a matter of fact I don't really care about about them.
3) Probably, if you indeed need to be cured, you are not out of the woods yet, seen that your answer seems a bit angry and blown out of proportion. A good and free advice (take advantage of it, don't be a fool) would be that you should try to calm down before you have a stroke or something else that could damage your health.
4) As a general rule, try to be polite, all the time. I wasn't impolite to you, but I feel you were to me and that was totally unwarranted. Look, I don't know you, you don't know me, but at the end of the day we are civilised human beings living in a civilised country, therefore just keep any discussion in a civilised manner and everything will be fine.
5) Good luck for the interior of your car and while you are at it, please do not forget to not only improve that, but your manners as well.

Take care.

PS: sorry if in my original post I had worries that someone out there (-->you), might have been under pressure from someone else to change something they like. I believe this will be the last time that I try to help somebody.
PPS: I know you didn't ask for my help, but free help is always something good. If everyone out there would try to help someone else, even only once a month, the world would be a better place.
Old 9/29/05, 02:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Legion681@September 29, 2005, 4:40 PM
Look, I don't know you, you don't know me, but at the end of the day we are civilised human beings living in a civilised country, therefore just keep any discussion in a civilised manner and everything will be fine.

Here in the good ol' USA we spell it "civilized" Like our Mustangs are civilized cars!

Just injecting a little humor (not humour ) into the conversation.

Awaiting flames.
Old 9/29/05, 03:02 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Tiberius1701@September 29, 2005, 3:58 PM
Here in the good ol' USA we spell it "civilized" Like our Mustangs are civilized cars!

Just injecting a little humor (not humour ) into the conversation.

Awaiting flames.

Old 9/29/05, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree its a cheap interior but I bought American and thats what I paid for. It could be worse I could be driving Korean ... But I don't think adding some ugly carbon fiber to the interior is the answer either.
Old 9/29/05, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Several points:

Christopher....I don't know when you bought your car, but give it some time. I did a few "upgrades" thinking I would make the inside a little less spartan, and I don't think it is a slam dunk. I got mgw a/c *****, and the power plug. The Plug is a no brainer (Do it) ...the a/c ***** ok (i have the silver). The inside, as is, may grow on you. There is charm in the simplicity....and that is why some of us like the Mustang. That is also why some people responded as "you get what you paid for". I also got the arm rest, and the shift and ebrake boot. Again, not that special.

As far as Legion681, he must not be able to see how insulting his post was. While insults do occur on TMS once in awhile, and I cannot recall a time where the "poster" did not step back and say "sorry, I meant it in good spirit". Obviously, Legion does not have that vision. I understand why you came back the way you did. Your referring to other's posts about thoughts that mirror yours is very common, as a way to add a reference point or perspective.
Old 9/29/05, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think it looks cheap. The materials aren't "fancy" but are durable and efficent in a basic plain kind of way. I had a nice light gray leather steering wheel in my past Mark VIII....I was always cleaning it!

Some people just want to dress it up or personalize it a bit,...there's nothing wrong with that. People are modifying the exterior......why not the interior? I've seen a V6 with IUP and matching aftermarket console trim that looked like a great factory match.
Old 9/29/05, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by lwing18@September 29, 2005, 4:59 PM
As far as Legion681, he must not be able to see how insulting his post was. While insults do occur on TMS once in awhile, and I cannot recall a time where the "poster" did not step back and say "sorry, I meant it in good spirit". Obviously, Legion does not have that vision. I understand why you came back the way you did. Your referring to other's posts about thoughts that mirror yours is very common, as a way to add a reference point or perspective.
Thanks for that. I did find it somewhat insulting, I mean to even bring it up implies that he thought I'm a lame-o with no backbone or can't think for myself. Anyways, thanks for your post, you said what I think much better than I could have said it. Specifically "Your referring to other's posts about thoughts that mirror yours is very common, as a way to add a reference point or perspective." I couldn't for the life of me figure out a good way to say that...guess that's why I'm a tech person...

I also think there is somewhat of a misunderstanding in this thread. I *like* the way interior looks. I don't really want to change the way it *looks*...simply replace some parts with some higher quality parts (the fake chrome comes to mind).
Old 9/29/05, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give it time. I'd be surprised if the aftermarket doesn't have replacement billet rings in several finishes.

Quick Reply: How to "fix" the cheap interior?