05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

HELP! - New 6 gauge Cluster for MyColor UPDATE!! Moved & Sticked All My Color Topics

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/11, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! - New 6 gauge Cluster for MyColor UPDATE!! Moved & Sticked All My Color Topics

So I have a used 6 Gauge cluster that has the same mileage on it as my own 4 gauge cluster and I also have the switch to control the message center. The problem is, the dealer is telling me that if I put the used cluster in I will lock my car's security system out due to the codes for my keys not being on there. He also says there is no way to download the build onto the new cluster. Many people have told me this is possible but the dealer seems to know nothing. Can anybody who has DONE THIS BEFORE please clarify.

-Lance Corporal Nugent

Last edited by USMC xI2aMpAnTx; 3/8/11 at 04:59 PM.
Old 3/8/11, 08:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The codes for the antitheft key system (PATS) is in the PCM on the '05-'09 cars, hence changing the cluster doesn't affect it at all. On the newer cars ('10+) it's in the cluster.

And somebody at a dealership knowing nothing? Say it ain't so!

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 3/8/11 at 08:37 PM.
Old 3/8/11, 11:23 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That may be true, but when we tried this very swap some time ago in our 2005, the car would not start with the 6 gauge cluster installed, and the car did have PATS. I'm not sure what the issue was, and it was too close to SEMA to worry, so we just went back the original, but there is something going on that will trip you up. I thought this was covered in the mycolor swap thread though?
Old 3/9/11, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
The codes for the antitheft key system (PATS) is in the PCM on the '05-'09 cars, hence changing the cluster doesn't affect it at all. On the newer cars ('10+) it's in the cluster.

And somebody at a dealership knowing nothing? Say it ain't so!

So the dealer A) doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, or B) is just trying to get the $105 he quoted me for?

What exactly do they need to do to get my build info on there as far as features, anybody know for sure what this is called, because the dealer isn't helping...
Old 3/9/11, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
My car is an 05 and as I said in a previous post I was able to just plug mine in and everything worked. But since I didn't have the TPMS I got the warning and took it to a dealer to have the cluster info swapped to get rid of the warning. I too had heard somewhere about the security system , I don't remember where , but when I talked to Steve at Tousley ford where I bought the cluster he said it wasn't true. I got the GT500 cluster though so I don't know if there is a difference between it and the standard 6 gauge cluster. I called two local dealers to get a price and one said 2 hours labor and the other said one , so of course I took it to there. All they have to do is plug into the obd port and down load your cluster info and then install the new cluster , takes about 5 minutes , and then upload the info into the new cluster. As I said that only needs to be done if you're getting warnings , have you just plugged it in to see ? If you cluster is from a car that had the same options you probably shouldn't. Here's a pdf for the GT500 cluster that may answer some of you're questions. On the first page it talks about installing a new cluster under Principles of Operation , which is what's being done ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Gt500Cluster.pdf (553.5 KB, 2976 views)
Old 3/9/11, 06:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Swap the cluster and see if the car starts ... if not put the original back in.

I swapped clusters in my 2006 without a problem - no PATS issue.

In my 2010 I had to have the dealer reset the PATS.
Old 3/9/11, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
My car is an 05 and as I said in a previous post I was able to just plug mine in and everything worked. But since I didn't have the TPMS I got the warning and took it to a dealer to have the cluster info swapped to get rid of the warning. I too had heard somewhere about the security system , I don't remember where , but when I talked to Steve at Tousley ford where I bought the cluster he said it wasn't true. I got the GT500 cluster though so I don't know if there is a difference between it and the standard 6 gauge cluster. I called two local dealers to get a price and one said 2 hours labor and the other said one , so of course I took it to there. All they have to do is plug into the obd port and down load your cluster info and then install the new cluster , takes about 5 minutes , and then upload the info into the new cluster. As I said that only needs to be done if you're getting warnings , have you just plugged it in to see ? If you cluster is from a car that had the same options you probably shouldn't. Here's a pdf for the GT500 cluster that may answer some of you're questions. On the first page it talks about installing a new cluster under Principles of Operation , which is what's being done ...
Ok so that's probably all I need to do. What is that process called so I can tell this idiot at the dealer who says it's impossible?
Old 3/9/11, 08:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The information is in pdf file in my post above , open it up and it's on the first page under "Principles of Operation" ...
Old 3/9/11, 03:08 PM

The information is in pdf file in my post above , open it up and it's on the first page under "Principles of Operation" ...

I showed a dealer this thread and he quoted me $178, much higher than the previous dealer's $145 and still MUCH more than I'm willing to pay to make my TPMS warning go away permanently...
Old 3/9/11, 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

All that your ford dealer has to do is download the asbuilt data for your vehicle. This will place the cluster back to factory specification.
Old 3/10/11, 05:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Like I said , I called two dealers and one wanted 2 hours labor and the other 1 hour , which for the dealer I went too was I think $110 per hour. Who ever does it should only charge you an hour labor , the actual time to do it is about 10 minutes. It's the scan tool you need , so if you have a tuner shop near you with one you can probably get it done cheaper ...
Old 3/10/11, 09:25 AM

Like I said , I called two dealers and one wanted 2 hours labor and the other 1 hour , which for the dealer I went too was I think $110 per hour. Who ever does it should only charge you an hour labor , the actual time to do it is about 10 minutes. It's the scan tool you need , so if you have a tuner shop near you with one you can probably get it done cheaper ...
Would I be able to do anything with an SCT SF3/X3 Tuner with custom tunes from BamaTunes?

Is that TPMS warning something that can just be ignored until I go home on leave in a few months before I go to Afghanistan and have my uncle do it for free?
Old 3/10/11, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The SCT tuner is only for flash tunes. Ford uses the IDS/VCM system to program the vehicles. It is a very expensive system.
Old 3/10/11, 11:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by USMC xI2aMpAnTx
Would I be able to do anything with an SCT SF3/X3 Tuner with custom tunes from BamaTunes?

Is that TPMS warning something that can just be ignored until I go home on leave in a few months before I go to Afghanistan and have my uncle do it for free?
Yes I drove mine for about a week with the warning , you can hit the reset button and it will go away till the next time you start the car ...

When I said a local tuner , I meant a shop that might have the ford scan tool , not one of our hand held tuners ...
Old 3/10/11, 12:24 PM

Yes I drove mine for about a week with the warning , you can hit the reset button and it will go away till the next time you start the car ...

When I said a local tuner , I meant a shop that might have the ford scan tool , not one of our hand held tuners ...
Ok I'll do that for a while for sure.

Is it a tool that a car mechanic would have or a Ford specific tool?
Old 3/10/11, 08:08 PM

Well it worked just like you all said it would, but I'm getting the TPMS warning. Unless I can find a way to get rid of it for $50 or less, I'm going to just deal with it. Is there anyway to just add a TPMS system or is it even worth it?

Attached Thumbnails HELP! - New 6 gauge Cluster for MyColor UPDATE!! Moved & Sticked All My Color Topics-img_0968.jpg  
Old 3/11/11, 10:54 PM

I have a 2010 GT and like a retard i pulled out my needles changeing a faceplate and now cant get them acurate again. I want the 6 gauge cluster anyway though just dont know where to purchase and how to make it work.
Old 3/12/11, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 60CrewDawg69
I have a 2010 GT and like a retard i pulled out my needles changeing a faceplate and now cant get them acurate again. I want the 6 gauge cluster anyway though just dont know where to purchase and how to make it work.
There's a certain value at which they go on so they can be calibrated by the car.
Old 3/14/11, 05:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by USMC xI2aMpAnTx
Well it worked just like you all said it would, but I'm getting the TPMS warning. Unless I can find a way to get rid of it for $50 or less, I'm going to just deal with it. Is there anyway to just add a TPMS system or is it even worth it?

Yes you can add it to your car , here's a couple of links to the parts and programming tool ...

http://www.partscheap.com/Mustang-TPMS-p/tpm-00-bd.htm

http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-tir...ming-tool.html
Old 3/14/11, 05:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 60CrewDawg69
I got mine from Steve at Tousley Ford , he has the best prices ...

http://www.tousleyford.com/

Quick Reply: HELP! - New 6 gauge Cluster for MyColor UPDATE!! Moved & Sticked All My Color Topics