05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Are Heads Up Displays Available?

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/05, 05:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Vette got me thinking about it, but I've wanted a Heads Up Display in cars ever since I played flight sim computer games.

So do any aftermarket companies make HUD setups? I wouldn't think that hooking it into the car's instrumentation would be any more difficult than the aftermarket gauges, but I have no idea what the actual HUD would cost.

I realize that it would take away from the "retro" of the car a bit, but I think it would actually be a useful addition, as well as a nifty gimmick for someone that loves gadgets such as myself.
Old 8/30/05, 05:56 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one thing I really dig about my buddies Vette is the HUD - pretty slick!!!!
Old 8/30/05, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'd be more than nifty- its freaking cool
Old 8/30/05, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

that would be the coolest thing since.... something so cool i don't even know about it
Old 8/30/05, 08:18 PM
I talk to cones.

Dont know if anyone makes it but I bet u could port it off of the CPU for Speed, TACH, and whatever else u wanted but would need some pretty cool electronic for it.
Old 8/30/05, 09:45 PM
GT Member

All I've been able to find is this place:

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/vsd/vsd_top.html

Which seems to talk about HUDs but they're out of production for the most part, and most of it is WAY over my head. Do some of you automotive-literate people understand it better?

Edit: And also this from the same people... it's different somehow...
http://www.defi-shop.com/product/basis/basis_top.html
Old 8/30/05, 10:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmmmmm. HUD, FLIR and a set of 20mm to replace the fogs. SoCal freeways just got a whole lot easier.....
Old 8/31/05, 01:34 PM
GT Member

http://www.streetrays.com sells the Defi stuff and it looks like you'd want the Control Unit and Concept or Basis (alone?).

In reading further, only the Concept specifically says that it needs the Defi-Link control unit, and will only display speed and engine speed without the control unit. This may indicate that the basis unit can be purchased alone and hooked in to show the speed and RPM. At only $170, that might be worth trying out, though I don't even know how to hook in an additional gauge, let alone an HUD. Anyone else want to try it first?

The instructions for the basis here do seem pretty straight-forward, assuming that our ECU can be tapped into the same way. This kind of thing makes me realize how little I still know about my car!

I have found a shop called ASAA Racing in Houston which carries the parts and will do the installation. (I forgot to ask if it was a Basis or Concept setup). They haven't done it on a Mustang but sounded confident that it was possible with the Defi equipment. This is certainly going on my list as an addition worthy of the car, and I like it a lot more than all those gauge pods.

Edit: After further reading, the Concept Installation Instructions make it clear that it isn't necessary to have the "link" system for speed/tach, just for the additional instrument measurement. I am therefore considering the Concept system and just skipping the Control Link part of it until it would be necessary. Now I'm off to poke around to try and find out about those mythical ECU wires mentioned.
Old 8/31/05, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by woody1@August 31, 2005, 12:01 AM
Hmmmmm. HUD, FLIR and a set of 20mm to replace the fogs. SoCal freeways just got a whole lot easier.....

Woody Great I want your idea
Old 8/31/05, 03:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You forgot a radar jamming pod Woody ...

:cop:

Old 8/31/05, 07:55 PM

My friend's Grand Prix has a HUD, it's really cool. I'm not sure it's really a "Mustang" thing tho. Also he mentioned that it needed a special glass which is probably more expensive.
Old 9/1/05, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by woody1@August 31, 2005, 1:01 AM
Now that's I mod.
Old 9/3/05, 08:19 AM
Cobra Member

I've never seen a HUD in a car, is it projected onto the glass or a LCD built into it?
Old 9/3/05, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

It is pprojected onto the glass from the dash, it is very nice and I miss it when I am noot driving my Grand Prix GTP. I would also think it would be possible but quite possibly more costly to retro fit from another vehicle the parts to the stang. There are all kinds of these parts available, the only problem I forsee is cutting the large hole in the dash to mount the motors and glass
Old 9/14/05, 03:00 PM
V6 Member

What is the dark patch on the glass in the pics?

Do you have to put a certain film on there or something? I don't know if that would get annoying when the device is off...
Old 9/14/05, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Yes, I read through the instructions on their page and they give you a small piece of film that you position on the glass where the image will be projected. I can see that it would be annoying when the device is off, although I would probably want the device on at all times, just because it would be 1) cooler and 2) easier to see while driving.

I will not be attempting to do this mod for a while, because if I did all of the mods I wanted, I would have to live in my car. I would also prefer if it would use the CAN bus to get the speed/tach information, although it is possible that the information isn't all available or perhaps it isn't updated rapidly enough over the CAN network. If and when I do get around to it, I will probably have a shop in Houston do it, as I'm not courageous enough to try this myself.
Old 10/12/05, 06:56 PM

I work in the weapons shop in an F-15E Strike Eagle squadron, and joked about this with an avionics guy. He said he'd get me one if I could come up with the $125,000. The glass alone on our HUD units is $4000. It's like 6x6 with a special film and an inch thick. Expensive stuff
Old 10/12/05, 11:28 PM
GT Member

Hah... well, if I ever have $125,000 in extra cash, then I'll get that, because that would be more awesome than anything! As it is, I'm going to try for one that's less than $500 eventually
Old 10/13/05, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If you get the HUD from the Strike Eagle you should get one of the helmets to lay in your seat at car shows.

Old 12/12/05, 08:35 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

SO WHAT HAPPEND? ANY NEWS?...

PLEASE!!

Quick Reply: Are Heads Up Displays Available?