05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Head Unit Suggestions

Old 1/31/13, 10:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Unit Suggestions

Hey I'm looking for a head unit that has navigation blue tooth etc...I was wondering if I would be able to get one for my standard radio in my mustang I don't have a shaker 500 or 1000 can I replace just my regular radio with one of these head units? If so do you know of any plug and play ones?
Old 1/31/13, 10:25 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced mine with a Pioneer AVIC920BT, pretty easy. Even easier in your car, I'm sure. Replaced the the one in my '05 to the AVIC-D3, just needed the harness. Should be pretty easy for any double DIN head unit.
Old 2/1/13, 05:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's the unit I have , at a really good price , last time I checked Crutchfield wanted $1000. I got mine off Amazon and bought the harness from Crutchfield.

Amazon.com: Clarion NX702 Built-In Car Navigation System: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Clarion NX702 Built-In Car Navigation System: Car Electronics
Old 2/1/13, 05:35 AM
V6 Member

Thanks guys! I've heard people like talking about taking a wire to their center console to I have to do like like under the car or what?
Old 2/1/13, 09:32 AM
V6 Member

What do you guys think about this one? Does it fit mustangs?

Head Unit Suggestions-image-3942116074.jpg
Old 2/1/13, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by geh4
Just put this in my mustang so yeah it does fit. Check out my review.

Old 2/1/13, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I sent you a PM, a good choice is use Crutchfield to see what fits your car and then look through Ebay/Amazon for better pricing or you can even go to BestBuy and enter your car info into their fitment computer, there are alot of choices out there you just have to hunt them down, as far as running cables you dont need to run them under the car, you can run them from behind the head unit under the center console and out the center console.
Name:  2013-02-01101950_zps4a345695.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  290.7 KB
Old 2/1/13, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Attachment 129593
That looks like a pretty nice unit and it looks like it has some cool features included
Old 2/1/13, 02:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Javdog
That looks like a pretty nice unit and it looks like it has some cool features included
This is the one I have... works great! Supports A2DP for Bluetooth.
http://support.jvc.com/consumer/prod...lId=MODL028786

These are the new models replacing this and they are also pretty darn good!
http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=126&page=1
http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=126&page=1
Old 2/2/13, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

Thanks everybody!
Old 2/2/13, 08:47 PM
V6 Member

Would a company install the parking brake bypass or would I have to do it my self since its against or probably against the law to watch movies while driving. By no means will I be driving and watch a movie but maybe my little sister in the passages seat might like to.
Old 2/2/13, 09:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Would a company install the parking brake bypass or would I have to do it my self since its against or probably against the law to watch movies while driving. By no means will I be driving and watch a movie but maybe my little sister in the passages seat might like to.
Mom and pop places will do it. Large chain stores will not do it.
Old 2/3/13, 06:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Its very easy to do. Three color coded wires, just match then to the respective colored wires from the harness.
Old 2/3/13, 08:02 AM
GT Member

Please be aware that, depending on laws in your state, you could be subject to a hefty fine if it is observed by a LEO.
Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but I hate paying fines myself.
Old 2/3/13, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Nunja Business
Please be aware that, depending on laws in your state, you could be subject to a hefty fine if it is observed by a LEO.
Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but I hate paying fines myself.
Just curious, how would you be spotted? You can't see the head unit while driving from other cars. Some units are higher up in the car but where the mustangs unit is, you wouldn't be able to see it.
Old 2/3/13, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

That and I don't think I've ever met a cop who would waste his time with that lol
Old 2/3/13, 01:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tu3218
Just curious, how would you be spotted? You can't see the head unit while driving from other cars. Some units are higher up in the car but where the mustangs unit is, you wouldn't be able to see it.
People in taller vehicles will have no trouble seeing it and we have cops driving trucks all over the country.
Hell, I can see the stereo in my car quite easily from my wife's Sorento next to it.

Case in point: I got a ticket in my Miata when I was waiting at a red light under an overpass when a cop walked down the length of cars stuck there and he thought he saw I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
I was and I showed him (it was tucked under my arm instead of over the shoulder) but I still got the ticket.

On a plus side, I made the cop look like a pure idiot in court when I showed the time-stamped photo I took in the car as he started writing the ticket.
Nothing in the law says "HOW" the seatbelt must be worn or fastened and the judge threw it out and chastised the patrolman for wasting the court's time.

Atrav83: if you truly believe that cops have nothing better to do than hassle otherwise law-abiding citizens based on crappy and unclear laws, I am afraid you may be in for a rude awakening one day.
I have been driving for more than 35 years and nothing surprises me anymore. Have the bad luck to pick the wrong cop on the wrong day and you will see.
Old 2/3/13, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Nunja Business
People in taller vehicles will have no trouble seeing it and we have cops driving trucks all over the country.
Hell, I can see the stereo in my car quite easily from my wife's Sorento next to it.

Case in point: I got a ticket in my Miata when I was waiting at a red light under an overpass when a cop walked down the length of cars stuck there and he thought he saw I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
I was and I showed him (it was tucked under my arm instead of over the shoulder) but I still got the ticket.

On a plus side, I made the cop look like a pure idiot in court when I showed the time-stamped photo I took in the car as he started writing the ticket.
Nothing in the law says "HOW" the seatbelt must be worn or fastened and the judge threw it out and chastised the patrolman for wasting the court's time.

Atrav83: if you truly believe that cops have nothing better to do than hassle otherwise law-abiding citizens based on crappy and unclear laws, I am afraid you may be in for a rude awakening one day.
I have been driving for more than 35 years and nothing surprises me anymore. Have the bad luck to pick the wrong cop on the wrong day and you will see.
Oh I have bad luck to there sir, I've gotten 2 bull**** tickets, one on a trap right by my school. But I just don't see a cop pulling a person over for having a movie on and having the passenger watch it. I mean of course if the driver was watching ya, but I've seen cops drive right by others who have a movie on for their passenger, especially if its for a child.
Old 2/3/13, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Right but when your driving down the highway, the chances of someone spotting what your having displayed on your screen is extremely slim to none.

But did you have a passenger in your car or just you when you got the ticket?
Old 2/3/13, 02:45 PM
V6 Member

No need to buy the special parking brake bypass... take the cable that has to go to the parking break wire and (don't remember 100% as i did it a while ago) either ground it or give it a 12V and that's it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Unit Suggestions