05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Got the Pioneer nav unit installed

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/05, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got back a little while ago from getting the AVIC D1 Pioneer navigation unit & XM sat radio installed- well I sat in the car in the driveway for like an hour and a half playing with it - it's awesome! and I navigated around my neighborhood lol

Now having both Sirius (in the MINI) and XM in the Mustang, I definitely think XM is better. Sirius is good, but XM has 3x the cool stations that Sirius has. Plus there is this song memory list feature that you punch a button when you hear a song you like a lot and it remembers them in a list and notifies you whenever one of your listed songs plays on any XM channel.

Both the GPS antenna and the SAT antenna are identical 1" square blocks and they located one on the extreme drivers side dash up close to the winshield and the twin on the other side. Very discreet looking.

Some pics:
Old 12/28/05, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, congrats! That looks like one sweet setup!
Old 12/28/05, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very Nice!
Old 12/28/05, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very Nice!
Old 12/29/05, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

How much did that thing cost?
Old 12/29/05, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by eromzek@December 29, 2005, 12:17 PM
How much did that thing cost?
hmmm.... <pulls out pockets, $0.87 in change falls to floor>

The Pioneer AVIC D1 was $1627 at Best Buy with a $300 rebate, so $1327, the XM receiver was $95, and the install was $206 at a local shop (Soundworks Mobile Audio).

I went to Best Buy because I got all of my family to give me BB gift cards for xmas

I actually would have gotten OEM Ford navigation on the Mustang had they but offered it! :scratch:
Old 12/29/05, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by 06GT&05MCS@December 29, 2005, 11:45 AM
hmmm.... <pulls out pockets, $0.87 in change falls to floor>

The Pioneer AVIC D1 was $1627 at Best Buy with a $300 rebate, so $1327, the XM receiver was $95, and the install was $206 at a local shop (Soundworks Mobile Audio).

I went to Best Buy because I got all of my family to give me BB gift cards for xmas

I actually would have gotten OEM Ford navigation on the Mustang had they but offered it! :scratch:
Did the Best Buy installer hook up your reverse and VSS wires?
Old 12/29/05, 08:32 PM
GT Member

OK ... so you got navigation... and you can play a DVD movie in there right???
Old 12/29/05, 09:20 PM
M&M

really sweet
Old 12/30/05, 07:54 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by groupset@December 29, 2005, 4:34 PM
Did the Best Buy installer hook up your reverse and VSS wires?
I actually did not have it installed at Best Buy. They were giving me a hard time about an appointment (like "how about the 7th?") :nono: so I called the shop where I'd always got my windows tinted (who specialize in car audio) and they were like "we'll work it in, bring it over". I didn't have a lot of confidence in the BB people anyway, they were acting like they didn't think the unit would fit in a Mustang. The guy from Soundworks said it was the easiest double-din installation he'd ever done, that the unit fit perfectly. He said the only difficulty he ran into was the double firewall, which he said was challenging to get through.

So, to answer your question , yes, he did hook up the VSS, but he must've grounded the hand brake or back-up wire. I just went out and looked, and it took me a few minutes to spot where he ran the wire out to the VSS (inside a new black sheathing). It looks extremely professional to me

They asked me when I dropped it off if I wanted full NAV functions enabled while moving, and I said yes.

To answer the next question, no, it does NOT play DVDs, 1 CD at a time only. Pioneer sells a CD/DVD 6 disk changer that connects to the D1, and I understand it's near $1000. The D1 will additionally accept a TV tuner, IPOD connection, rear view camera, and of course SAT radio, which I got XM this time.
Old 12/30/05, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by 06GT&05MCS@December 30, 2005, 8:57 AM
I actually did not have it installed at Best Buy. They were giving me a hard time about an appointment (like "how about the 7th?") :nono: so I called the shop where I'd always got my windows tinted (who specialize in car audio) and they were like "we'll work it in, bring it over". I didn't have a lot of confidence in the BB people anyway, they were acting like they didn't think the unit would fit in a Mustang. The guy from Soundworks said it was the easiest double-din installation he'd ever done, that the unit fit perfectly. He said the only difficulty he ran into was the double firewall, which he said was challenging to get through.

So, to answer your question , yes, he did hook up the VSS, but he must've grounded the hand brake or back-up wire. I just went out and looked, and it took me a few minutes to spot where he ran the wire out to the VSS (inside a new black sheathing). It looks extremely professional to me

They asked me when I dropped it off if I wanted full NAV functions enabled while moving, and I said yes.

To answer the next question, no, it does NOT play DVDs, 1 CD at a time only. Pioneer sells a CD/DVD 6 disk changer that connects to the D1, and I understand it's near $1000. The D1 will additionally accept a TV tuner, IPOD connection, rear view camera, and of course SAT radio, which I got XM this time.
Sounds like your installer is up-to-date on his mods - if he asked if you wanted full nav functions enabled while moving, he did the "spare wire" mod on your D1 before he installed it. I'm curious as to why he found it so difficult to route the VSS wire through the firewall - I just routed mine through the grommet for the radio antenna wire which is right behind the glove compartment. Easy route into the engine bay; no drilling required.
Old 12/30/05, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

That sound like a nice system. I'm sure it will be well worth it.
Old 12/30/05, 10:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06GT&05MCS: Where in Va Bch do you hang out? Have you ever been to Jenros on Saturdays. I can't wait to get home and hang out with all of the 'Stangers.

- Jesse
Old 12/31/05, 06:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 2L8IWON@December 30, 2005, 1:16 PM
06GT&05MCS: Where in Va Bch do you hang out? Have you ever been to Jenros on Saturdays. I can't wait to get home and hang out with all of the 'Stangers.

- Jesse
My buddies in the MINI Cooper club go fairly often, but I have never been.
I keep meaning to go, but something will come up or the cars are too dirty to show up in lol

I actually have a MINI Cooper run set for this morning, 5-10 of us get together (mostly the S's) and tear up the back roads in Chesapeake.
Tire-squealing g-force fun
Old 12/31/05, 06:35 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by groupset@December 30, 2005, 12:33 PM
Sounds like your installer is up-to-date on his mods - if he asked if you wanted full nav functions enabled while moving, he did the "spare wire" mod on your D1 before he installed it. I'm curious as to why he found it so difficult to route the VSS wire through the firewall - I just routed mine through the grommet for the radio antenna wire which is right behind the glove compartment. Easy route into the engine bay; no drilling required.
He went through somewhere on the drivers side. I'm sure he had no idea about the antenna wire route!
Old 12/31/05, 07:46 PM
GT Member

So only one disc at a time... got it. Sorry to repeat... but does that mean you could take the nav DVD and put in a regular DVD and watch that?
Old 12/31/05, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Fastback65@December 31, 2005, 8:49 PM
So only one disc at a time... got it. Sorry to repeat... but does that mean you could take the nav DVD and put in a regular DVD and watch that?
You'd have to hook up an external DVD player to view DVDs on the AVIC-D1; it won't play them internally - internal DVD drive is for nav dvds only. I believe the AVIC-N2 will play DVDs, however.
Old 1/2/06, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by 06GT&05MCS@December 31, 2005, 8:38 AM
He went through somewhere on the drivers side. I'm sure he had no idea about the antenna wire route!
Hi There! This looks great! I just bought one last week, and am having it installed this week (I am waiting for some wires from Crutchfield to come in before my installer can begin). Can you, or anyone please help me with some questions?

The VSS ... I read that the 05 Mustang does not have this. However, I did read about the OSS in the PCM in the front of the car. Is this the same? If so, does hooking this up enable proper functionality?

I am really hyped about getting this installed (They already put a mini PS2 in my glove compartment to play DVD's and Games ... I will upload pics when all is done)

Many thanks!!!
Old 1/2/06, 06:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by chewfaca@January 2, 2006, 1:06 AM
The VSS ... I read that the 05 Mustang does not have this. However, I did read about the OSS in the PCM in the front of the car. Is this the same? If so, does hooking this up enable proper functionality?

Yes.
Old 1/2/06, 10:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

NICE UNIT!!!

I also used the feedthrough behind the glovebox....just follow the orange antenna wire. I also had to remove the battery to get to it!

Quick Reply: Got the Pioneer nav unit installed