05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Gauge Install and In Dash DVD Pics

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/07, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge Install and In Dash DVD Pics

I wanted to thank anybody and everybody that has ever posted tips, tricks, pictures, etc, of different projects. I've been building cars for a long time and can't remember what I did before I could simply poll or search a peer group for experience and information.

I can't remember names, but this project would have been much more complicated if it hadn't been for those that posted part numbers and information about the $1.50 radio shack part that drops the remote amp lead down to 5V to work with the factory system, or the detailed instructions that somebody posted pointing out that there is an unused hole in the firewall behind the clutch perfect for routing gauge wires.. and on and on. And thanks to Brad for providing the forum.

A couple of note on the install. I was missing some adapters to hook up the sending units on the gauges, so that's why the readings look a little odd, still waiting for those parts to come. Also, the boost gauge is clocked with the zero at the top not because i wanted to mimic nascar dashes, but because i had the gauges so close together that the mounting brackets wouldn't fit if they were all in line. If anybody has any questions on the install or fabrication let me know. I did it all this weekend in my kitchen and my garage, it was really pretty easy.

MORE PICS BELOW
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...1&d=1167755261
Old 1/2/07, 03:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

your attachments don't seem to be working....
Old 1/2/07, 09:27 AM

weird... try these...
Attached Thumbnails Gauge Install and In Dash DVD Pics-sgsmall3.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 1/2/07, 11:00 AM

Help with climate control troubleshooting

Also, when I was driving to work this morning I realized that I didn't have any climate control control (and it's stuck on full hot). No fan, no a/c, no rear defrost, etc. I'm pretty confident that I reattached all the wiring, so any thoughts on what might be causing this? There was one plug that wasn't used from the back of the radio when I installed the new Metra harness, could that have something to do with it? Could that be keeping a circuit from completing? Would seem odd that something would route through the stereo, but i've seen stranger things? Is this is known issue, with a known fix?
Old 1/2/07, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

You didn't get bothh of the harnesses reattached to the climate control panel. I believe the plug on the driver's side is the one you need to check. There are 2. The drivers side is a simple Molex plug. The passengers side has a cam-lock function. You have to lift the cam, press in the plug, then pull the latch down to seat it. I hope this helps. Trust me, I had no climate controls TWICE
Old 1/2/07, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Very unique I don't think I've ever seen anyone put the gauges where you did.
Old 1/3/07, 06:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Very unique I don't think I've ever seen anyone put the gauges where you did.
There is an aftermarket company that will be making dash kits like that in the future- likely billet! He wouldn't give me a time frame other than to say that it will happen
Old 1/3/07, 12:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by jezinn
Also, when I was driving to work this morning I realized that I didn't have any climate control control (and it's stuck on full hot). No fan, no a/c, no rear defrost, etc. I'm pretty confident that I reattached all the wiring, so any thoughts on what might be causing this? There was one plug that wasn't used from the back of the radio when I installed the new Metra harness, could that have something to do with it? Could that be keeping a circuit from completing? Would seem odd that something would route through the stereo, but i've seen stranger things? Is this is known issue, with a known fix?
The left side connection controls the fan speed switch. The right side connection controls A/C and Heat selection. Ask me how I know? Like Infinity, I missed a couple of times - especially with the LH connector!
Old 1/3/07, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ChrisM
The left side connection controls the fan speed switch. The right side connection controls A/C and Heat selection. Ask me how I know? Like Infinity, I missed a couple of times - especially with the LH connector!
Yeah, I didn't even notice until I needed the defogger trying to get home from work at 1:00 a.m. Try driving a 5-speed, wiping the inside of the windshield with a microfiber towel, while trying not to get pulled over for swerving like a drunk.
Old 1/3/07, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Check the fuses also. I heard about a person who replaced their head unit and experienced the same problem with the climate controls. It turned out that a couple of fuses had blown.
Old 1/4/07, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow looks good, sweet spot for the gauges. Hope you find your problem!
Old 1/5/07, 03:57 PM

As suspected, i just didn't have the right side (passenger side) plugged all the way in. When i took it off I broke that goofy retainer in the middle, and while it looked good on the side that i could see, the other side had fallen down and interfered with the connection. That's for the input and the compliments.

I can't take credit for the idea on the location, I saw something similar at SEMA this year, although he had them on top of the stereo and it was a rather sloppy fabrication on the mounting plate.

Should be getting my supercharger next month so I can finally put that boost gauge to good use!
Old 1/5/07, 04:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Told ya- glad you got'er fixed.
Old 1/6/07, 01:14 AM
Cobra Member

When i took it off I broke that goofy retainer in the middle,

Same here. It's kinda tough to move the thing when you have to kinda squeeze/twist with your thumb and forefinger to move it.
Old 1/9/07, 10:41 AM

Got my sending unit adapters from Autometer so i can finally get the gauges hooked up. Does anybody know if you have to gut the schrader valve on the fuel rail to make the fuel pressure hose/adapter work? looks like that's the case, but wanted to double check. it didn't come with any instructions.
Old 1/9/07, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

where did you get the plastic the the guages are mounted in?
Old 1/11/07, 03:52 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may be a dumb question, but why is the boost guage crooked??
Old 1/12/07, 07:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Not sure why it is on his, but if it is like the Stewart Warner gage I have in my CDC dash top cluster, the vacuum hose connects oddly, thus forcing a tilt. Again, not sure if thats why it is in his.

Looks good though. I like the fact that its unique!
Old 1/13/07, 01:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman

Most likely that anything past 12:00 is pressure, left of 12:00 is vac
Old 1/18/07, 03:23 PM

check my original post:

"Also, the boost gauge is clocked with the zero at the top not because i wanted to mimic nascar dashes, but because i had the gauges so close together that the mounting brackets wouldn't fit if they were all in line."

Quick Reply: Gauge Install and In Dash DVD Pics