05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Complete interior replacment

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/07, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Complete interior replacment

I've been lurking for a while, and after extensive searching and reading I have to say all of you guys have been an incredible help and inspiration.

OK, now that that's over....

I have an 07 GT/CS, Redfire w/Dove (I think that's what it's called, it's light grey to me!). Anyway, after reading many of the mods done here, I have decided I am going to replace the interior with black (DK Charcoal?) directly from Ford. My question is this...

Am I looking at something so involved I'd be better off having a shop do the mods for me? Can't afford to do it all at once, yea, I know it will be a bit strange for a while with the color mix, but unless I want to buy and store these things (never been patient), I will live with that part.

Any opinions, suggestions would be welcome and very appreciated.

BTW: I as the question because I am not sure how easily it would be to find documentation on removing/repaceing all these interior parts.

Thanks in advance, and it's great to be a member here!!!!
Old 12/3/07, 04:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
If I were you I'd post about maybe swapping your dove interior for someone's black interior.

You never know, someone may want YOUR color and you get to do what you want for minimal cost.
Old 12/4/07, 06:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Post Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks Art, I appreciate the suggestion. That's exactly what I will do. Can't hurt right?
Old 12/4/07, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to swap dashboards, make certain to disconnect the battery before you start. Keep track of every nut and bolt and be careful. It won't be an easy task, but it is do-able.
Old 12/5/07, 02:04 AM
Bullitt Member

If you want to trade leather interiors I would be more than happy to trade you. I have the dark charcoal leather and have been looking to change it to the dove leather for a while but haven't been able to find exactly how to go about purchasing it. PM me if you are interested.
Old 12/5/07, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Post Appreciate all the advice

Thanks for the tip on the dash. Unfortuantely it looks like at least a bit of the dash is part of the dove so that will need to be replaced as well.

I figured it was going to be a bear to accomplish, but since finiancially I need to take it a little at a time, I figure that will keep me from rushing and screwing something up.

Is there anywhere I can find a Ford manual that is specific to interiors? Not sure if a service manual would cover something like that or if it is just mechanical.
Old 12/5/07, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

The service manual covers everything, even trim removal. It takes a bit of reading to figure out how everything comes apart, but if you take your time and study the book, it'll be much easier. I haven't gotten a shop manual for my car yet but I plan on getting one, highly recommended if you're doing your own mods.
Old 12/6/07, 05:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Post I agree

Thanks for the info. I was wondering though, is mydealer the best place to find a service manual? Will they even sell it to me?
Old 12/6/07, 05:35 AM
GT Member

Newer cars usually have one or two volumes that cover everything. The parts store Haynes and Chilton manuals are usually pretty light on specific interior details.

Sometimes you can find them on Ebay but your car may be too new for that. You may have to contact the publisher directly as they generally don't like to sell them to consumers. Maybe a friendly Ford parts guy could help too.

If there's an autocross club in your area they may be able to clue you in to a source as many autocross events require you have a set of the factory manuals. The guy I bought my manuals for my old Camaro told me about that.

Good luck and go slow. Remember if something is too difficult to remove you're probably doing it wrong.

Old 12/6/07, 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is a stange thread to me.... I mean why would you buy a $1800 option package if you don't want the nicest part of the package? You could have got a GT plain put 18" bullits and front facisa with side scoop for alot less than $1800 and you could have done it the way you wanted it. Its just silly. I specificlly ordered the Dove/charcoal interoir for its uniqueness.
As far as taking apart the interior dash and what not.....

Sorry for the spelling...to lazy to fix it.
Old 12/6/07, 10:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to all this work, I would think you would consider some alternatives to stock interior. Katzkin can do anything, any color combo, any pattern. Why not design your own interior. It is your car, and after all you'll be going through, your end result will have no value added. Soooo, before you really do this, consider your alternatives. Whereas your determined to change it anyway, do it your way. Make it personal. Add value. JMHO
Old 12/7/07, 07:26 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd go to Katzkin, ^1+, you dont have to settle for the Ford patterns and such, you can get some superb looking stuff IMO.
Old 12/7/07, 02:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
Make it personal. Add value. JMHO
Make it personal = YES.

Add value? Forget it. Look at the "Cars for sale" section of this site if you don't believe me. Ask KC about his luck in unloading his (truly sweet) GT/CS.

Just forget about value and "collectability" and do what makes you happy!