05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Cabin Air Filter replacement (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/10, 08:44 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I finally painted my hood a month or so ago, took some pics of the drain/filter while I had access...never got a flood inside, but it was plugged almost solid...40k miles/5 years old next month- I'd say 2 years would be about right for cleaning/filter change. someone mentioned 'pulling the grommet out', I pulled it to clean it out, but put it back in- it has a flapper that keeps road spray from blowing back in, I dunno if the filter might get wetter without it...in any event, be sure to clean the drain every couple years or risk flooding your interior/smart junction box...
Attached Thumbnails Cabin Air Filter replacement (with pics)-cabin1.jpg   Cabin Air Filter replacement (with pics)-cabin2.jpg  
Old 1/9/11, 12:07 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news when I checked my air filter today; the filter was dry and relatively clean and the chamber was clean and dry despite no rubber grommet (I had taken it out). Road spray did not blow up from the engine compartment/wheels....and it is really rainy in Vancouver in the winter so there was lots of opportunity.
Here are pics from the FIRST CHANGE in MAY where the filter was soaked and water coming into the passenger foot well.

Standing water in the compartment

Junk in the duck-bill grommet I removed you can see it in the top right area of the chamber in the first pic

Hope this helps someone out there. If the filter's chamber drain clogs, it fills up and then flows into the cabin filter and then into the fan area and will drip from behind your glove box. You would find it after washing the car or a really heavy rain. Ford is hit and miss on helping out with this.
Cheers

Last edited by twokidsnosleep; 1/9/11 at 12:12 AM.
Old 1/9/11, 11:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took off my plastic cowl cover to have a look at the grommet and the entire cavity because I am getting water on the passenger floor but mine is all clear, no sign of any leaves or debris. Water was coming from something up/under the dash and also out from under the bottom (carpet) edge of the kick panel where the electrical junction box is
Old 1/13/11, 07:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pony07
I took off my plastic cowl cover to have a look at the grommet and the entire cavity because I am getting water on the passenger floor but mine is all clear, no sign of any leaves or debris. Water was coming from something up/under the dash and also out from under the bottom (carpet) edge of the kick panel where the electrical junction box is
There is a thread here that addresses this, there is a seam on some early cars behind the right front wheel and when it rains the water can leak into that compartment.. Search and find it I think there might be a Ford TSB about that also... Checking....
Old 1/16/11, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thought I'd do this if needed. @18K it was needed.
Attached Thumbnails Cabin Air Filter replacement (with pics)-cabin-filter-18k.jpg  
Old 1/28/11, 09:12 PM

nice write up, much appreciated Bill.

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
When I had my 05 Gt the retards told me I didn't have one oh really so I walked up to the parts counter bought one and walked outside if front of all of them changed it and brought the dirty one inside and asked if they'd please dispose of it ! This write up will just impower the more of us to get er done ! thank-you guys !
aside swapping the aftermarket bling wheels mine came with to torque thrust 17's she has never been to a dealer

\/ this is why the first investment for my ride was a cover. \/

Old 3/9/15, 12:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
thanks for the write up!! just want to check as I was directed to this post and this is for 05+ mustangs, and mine is a 2004 model Mustang, is the air filter going to be accessible in the same manner the 05+ air filters are? im refering to the cabin air filters, I am going to be checking mine soon and replacing it (most likely its never been done) and don't want to tear up my new to me ride with out knowing the proper location/prodecure.

Thanks!
Old 3/9/15, 12:36 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim74656
thanks for the write up!! just want to check as I was directed to this post and this is for 05+ mustangs, and mine is a 2004 model Mustang, is the air filter going to be accessible in the same manner the 05+ air filters are? im refering to the cabin air filters, I am going to be checking mine soon and replacing it (most likely its never been done) and don't want to tear up my new to me ride with out knowing the proper location/prodecure.

Thanks!
I could be wrong, but I'm relatively certain Ford didn't start using cabin filters until 05. I don't think your car has one. I think back then Ford just had an unreplaceable mesh.
Old 3/9/15, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
hmm, well when I posted in the SN95 section I was linked to this thread....0_0 will recheck...