05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/08, 10:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!

I went home from the dealership around 5 pm to get my car to bring back, so I could start on this project. Couldn't use the garage at my parents (my dad has a 100' X 50' pole barn with a 2 post lift, heat, central air and air compressor), as he had a 54 Ford in there, that he was working on, while on other side had his 29 Model A Roadster. So I decided to install it at work. Now, before you start to read, I wish I could do a mod write-up as good as the master, TacoBill, but that can't happen. I tried my best. I'm better with words, but I have a few pics below.

Install was pretty easy and straighforward (as described in terrific detail by BlueSkyVert in a previous thread). I 1st removed the 2 screws that hold down the console. Once I lifted the console enough to get the side panels of the center stack out, I went onto dropping the gloveboox (after I emptied it, of course ). Once that was done, I removed the negative battery cable, and waited about 10 minutes for the airbag to de-power. I DID NOT remove the fuse. While I was waiting for the airbag reserve power to drain, I removed the gauge cluster 1st. Thats the easiest. Just drop the wheel as far as you can, and pull the cluster outward. Once that was done, I removed the 2 left side 7mm bolthead screws of the center IUP panel, and also removed the 2 top screws on each side of the center stack trim. For those who haven't taken apart their IUP, the center stack trim is actually connected to the center IUP piece, by a tab on the trim and a slot on the panel.

Once that was done, and 10 minutes passed, I went under the dash (a tight fit and hard to see until you contort your back enough to see underneath). Used the 8mm socket to remove the 2 bolts that hold the airbag in place on its track. Then I unplugged the bag and started to remove. Hence I said started. The bottom and side tabs of the IUP ABC were easy. It was the top 6 clips of the panel that were a PITA!! After trying to push it from the inside, I pulled the top right corner, got the 1st tab out, and it finally released, and slid out! I gotta say, the airbag is rather heavy, more than I ever thought. For those who worry abot the airbag, don't be. I was, until I realize that the battery is dead, and it needs a charge to detonate. Just be careful when carrying it.

Once I got the airbag out, I gotta say, the design between years may be a factor in the description of the next step. BlueSkyVert said she bent a few of the tabs that hold the airbag cover to the airbag, and it eventually fell off. Well, if she has a 2007, the material of the metal may be different, as mine, I used a heavy-duty set of plyers, and couldn't budge it. Even had a co-worker try. The metal tabs weren't moving. Going to Plan B. The cover attachment points, are very flexible, as she said. I just used a flathead screwdriver to push the bottom side of the cover loose. Once the bottom 6 were out of the cover, the top slid off easy. Install was the same. I started with the bottom, as there is less space from the edge of the tabs to the metal on the bag assembly. Get the bottom on 1st, and the top just slides right onto the tabs and its done. Back I went to the car.

Center stack was 1st (after a slight adjustment to the tab. More on it below), with the right end piece 2nd. Screwed them back together. Slid the airbag back in, moved it over a slight bit, so the bolt holes lined up with the holes on the track, and then bolted it down and plugged it back in. Lastly, put in the cluster trim (easiest). The only tricky part of the re-assembly, was the center piece. The tab that slides into the center IUP panel has a piece of felt on it. Probably for NVH prevention. Only problem, you can see the felt pad under the dash panel and center stack trim (see the 2 pics below). I pulled the piece up, and trimmed it with scissors. Perfect cut and I can't see anything. Once that was done, put the side panels of the center stack back on and screwed down the console. Battery back on and DONE!!!!

I have 14 pics below, all in order of what I did in regards to panel removal. They aren't the best. A few were taken with the flash off, and may be a bit blurry. The last 3 are outside at night, with the blue LED maplights glowing off the panel, a SICK look! If anyone is thinking of changing up your IUP, I got 2 words for you, DO IT!!! It changes the entire look of your car's interior. I love the Bullitt dash, and the satin/black A/C vent rings. If this wasn't available, the GT500 was the next choice. Its an easy mod to do, just take your time and make sure you wait at least 5 minutes after you remove the battery cable to drain. Its rather easy and it was pretty cool to do. Hope you like the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall1.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall2.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall3.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall4.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall5.jpg  

Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall6.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall7.jpg  

Last edited by adrenalin; 10/16/08 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10/8/08, 10:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Could only do 10 shots at a time and I have 14. So I posted 7 above, and the rest below.
Attached Thumbnails Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall8.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall9.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall10.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall11.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall12.jpg  

Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall13.jpg   Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!-bullittdashinstall14.jpg  
Old 10/8/08, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Could only do 10 shots at a time and I have 14. So I posted 7 above, and the rest below.
Jeff,

That looks so sick! Where did you get the panels from, and where did you get those blue lights from?

I can't even keep track all the mods I want to do in my head. I literally just created an Excel spreadsheet for everything. UGH! HAH

Thanks!
Old 10/8/08, 10:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
Jeff,

That looks so sick! Where did you get the panels from, and where did you get those blue lights from?

I can't even keep track all the mods I want to do in my head. I literally just created an Excel spreadsheet for everything. UGH! HAH

Thanks!
Panels I got from work (Ford dealership. I can hook you up for that) and the LED's I got from Ebay. It really makes the interior looks crazy at nighttime car shows!! Whenever someone walks up to the car, I hit the unlock button on my remote and turn on the lights.
Old 10/8/08, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Panels I got from work (Ford dealership. I can hook you up for that) and the LED's I got from Ebay. It really makes the interior looks crazy at nighttime car shows!! Whenever someone walks up to the car, I hit the unlock button on my remote and turn on the lights.
Hell yeah bro...definitely! Let me know how much for the different panels. I am not sure whether I like the Bullitt's or the GT500's. I may go with the GT500 dash panels and the steering wheel w/ the red stitching to match my theme going on outside of the car. (black/red)

That must me pretty sweet. I'm going to have to look on eBay. I just bought the Fusion Key on there last night. Let the modding begin...again! HAH
Old 10/9/08, 02:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nice! Good work!
Looks really great on your car.
Old 10/9/08, 08:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Looks great Jeff!
Old 10/9/08, 10:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Looks great Jeff!
Thanks Bill. That means alot coming from the master how-to installer!!
Old 10/14/08, 12:03 PM
V6 Member

hey can you show me a link of those bulbs you bought for the interior i like those too
Old 10/14/08, 02:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Jeff;

Great work sir! I also didn't realize you had an Avic. Did you install that as well?
Old 10/14/08, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kaponelb
hey can you show me a link of those bulbs you bought for the interior i like those too
Hey bud, here's a link to the Ebay auction I used.

Ebay LED map light bulbs auction

Got them in a few days. Just so you know. These LEDs are larger than the bulbs and must be installed from the front. This means, remove the overhead light from the headliner (spring clips), unplug it, and then you have to remove the bulb covers on the front. From there, you remove the stock bulbs from the back, reinstall the bulb housings and install the LEDs, but from the opening where the covers go, not from the back. Just a heads up.

BTW, you'll like the look. At shows that go into the night, the car really stands out now.
Old 10/14/08, 03:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by WaltM
Jeff;

Great work sir! I also didn't realize you had an Avic. Did you install that as well?
Hey Walt, how's it going? Yup, thats the D3 from Pioneer. I did the entire install myself. The 1st time I ever installed an aftermarket radio. I gotta tell ya, it was alot of fun to do. I love the unit (though it did something I never saw before. The route I was on, went off-track, and kept moviing off the road. Took a few minutes to correct. Don't know what was up with that. . I wish they didn't stop supporting it. While it is nice, when I get a chance to play with the new FB900BT and see just how much smaller the screen is, I may upgrade and sell my D3. Don't really know yet. Something I may ponder this off-season of shows.

BTW, I'm going to Lowe's this Saturday, as its the last one. Stop on by if you want later on, and I can give you a ride in the car so you can see the foglights at night, if you like?
Old 10/14/08, 10:05 PM
V6 Member

just order me a set of those lights can wait to get them thanks
Old 10/14/08, 10:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like that dash treatment
Old 10/15/08, 06:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kaponelb
just order me a set of those lights can wait to get them thanks
No problem bud, you'll love the look!!!
Old 10/15/08, 06:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I like that dash treatment
Thanks very much Rich. I was stoked on how it turned out in my car!
Old 10/15/08, 07:53 AM
V6 Member

Want to sell your IUP passenger side airbag cover? PM me if interested.
Old 10/15/08, 11:20 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm going to Lowe's this Saturday, as its the last one. Stop on by if you want later on, and I can give you a ride in the car so you can see the foglights at night, if you like?
I should be there. Btw, the Warminster show is Sunday, are you going?
Old 10/15/08, 01:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by bacnblak
Want to sell your IUP passenger side airbag cover? PM me if interested.
Sorry bud, if I do decide to sell, its as a whole set. Gonna ask a few of my friends in my Mustang Club 1st, before I offer it on TMS.
Old 10/15/08, 01:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by WaltM
I should be there. Btw, the Warminster show is Sunday, are you going?

Hey Walt, sorry to say, I won't be there Sunday at Johnsville NAB. My Club is having a show down at Seaside Heights at the CVS. They're holding a car show for us, free of charge and going the extra mile. Goodie bags, trophies, you name it! We did one last year at LBI (that show is next Sunday) and it was ALOT of fun and a great day. Very relaxing.

Last edited by 05fordgt; 10/15/08 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Bullitt Dash Panel & Blue LED maplight bulb install w/pics!!