05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Big Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/06, 07:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Audio Upgrade

I am about to go for a big audio upgrade with DVD/NAV new speakers all around and a custom amp rack. Currently I have the Shaker 1000 and I am going to call my new system the Shaker 2000 since I plan on re-using the factory sub box. I will post pics as the project comes along.
Old 9/15/06, 09:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just recently did the same thing.
Only thing stock left is the 8s in the doors, which I will eventually replace when someone makes a good drop in replacement.
Old 9/15/06, 10:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Only thing stock left is the 8s in the doors, which I will eventually replace when someone makes a good drop in replacement.
Do you want to sell your factory sub setup that goes in the trunk?
Old 9/15/06, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
Do you want to sell your factory sub setup that goes in the trunk?
I only had the Shaker 500, so no subs in the trunk. But there is now
Old 9/15/06, 05:07 PM
Cobra Member

Ditto.
Old 9/17/06, 03:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

thats nice, i started calling mine the shacker 4000 after i got it all hooked up. i ended up with 4000 bench tested watts of power using 4 amps
Old 9/17/06, 06:56 PM
Banned

I am going to replace the 8" subs in the doors with the new Pioneer shallow mount subs. They use a revolutionary air suspension system that doesn't require the huge metal basket for the sub and only needs 2 and a 1/4 inches depth to mount. They are rated at 500 watts. I have ordered the parts and will post pics soon.
Old 9/18/06, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Which speakers?

Derek,
Which ones you buying? The Pioneer Premier TS-SW841D? I was looking at a pair of those too.

Jeff
Old 9/18/06, 11:40 AM
Banned

Yes,
those are the exact ones that I am going for. The project is going to start soon and I will post pictures from start to finish. I also have found a place that you and I can buy the Pioneer PVH 6800 head unit that has DVD, NAV, XM Satelite, MP3 capability for $999.00 and free shipping. It has a sick performance onboard computer function that you can add for a little more. I will start the framing work for the custom stuff on Monday.

Derek
Old 9/18/06, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Check out the Kicker SSMB8's. They are more of a mid-bass speaker but they have a really shallow magnet. They fit in the stock door sub location without any modifications. They don't sound that good with the stock head unit and stock amps. But I just finished my system and have them being run by an older Alpine V12 series amp and they sound awesome!!!
Old 9/18/06, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TKEUofM
Check out the Kicker SSMB8's. They are more of a mid-bass speaker but they have a really shallow magnet. They fit in the stock door sub location without any modifications. They don't sound that good with the stock head unit and stock amps. But I just finished my system and have them being run by an older Alpine V12 series amp and they sound awesome!!!
I actually have a set of those already on the way. They'll be getting 225 rms each. I'm going to try and figure out how to put the factory grill over them just for the sake of doing so. I also have a pair of the older RMB 8's on the way, so I can determine which I feel sound the best of the 2.
Old 9/19/06, 07:44 AM
Banned

I ordered the Pioneer PVH 6800 head unit today. I definately want to use the factory speaker grilles in the doors with the new subs in the doors. Why won't they work with the Kicker 8's?
Old 9/19/06, 08:11 AM
GT Member

Looking forward to seeing the install when I get back....I think I'm dropping my coin on the Corsa Exhaut and silver/blue painted pony sets.
Old 9/19/06, 04:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
I ordered the Pioneer PVH 6800 head unit today. I definately want to use the factory speaker grilles in the doors with the new subs in the doors. Why won't they work with the Kicker 8's?
They will work, but output from the factory amps at 4 ohms is like 6 watts. They're built to do p[ower at 1 ohm. Hell, even the 50 they put out on a regular basis isn't enough for the Kickers to shine. They really start working at 150+. Of course, I like for a snare drum hit (think of the snare hits at the beginning of Paradise City) to make you flinch.

EDIT:
Just reread your question. I'm stupid.
The factory grills will only work if all the holes on the new driver are EXACTLY the same. They have mounting tabs and such all over. Also, if the lip of the frame on the new drivers (where thescrews go through) isn't the same width, the grill won't even fit down to that point. Also, without that grill, there is no longer any way to mount the trim ring around the outside. I can get some pics this weekend if you need.

I also firmly believe that the Directed Studio Neo 8 will fit with no modification. http://cgi.ebay.com/8-DIRECTED-STUDI...QQcmdZViewItem
It's the only place to get them as they're discontinued. If these Kickers I have coming don't make me happy, I'll get those next.
Old 9/20/06, 05:42 AM
Banned

I took a look at how the stock 8's in the door are mounted. The 8" door sub can be accessed without pulling the door panel. It is mounted with 8 screws. The big outer ring of the grill just pops off. The pioneer 8" sub has 6 holes. I will make a template and drill an 8 hole pattern into the Pioneer subs using as many of the original holes as possible. The mounting tabs that protrude from the original sub is just to make the alignment easier and won't be reused.
Old 9/20/06, 05:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

personally i think it looks better with out the grill

Old 9/20/06, 05:56 AM
Banned

VP Preacher I am looking forward to helping you out with your project. I am running out of money for mine but still have the bug to do mods.
Old 9/20/06, 05:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
I took a look at how the stock 8's in the door are mounted. The 8" door sub can be accessed without pulling the door panel. It is mounted with 8 screws. The big outer ring of the grill just pops off. The pioneer 8" sub has 6 holes. I will make a template and drill an 8 hole pattern into the Pioneer subs using as many of the original holes as possible. The mounting tabs that protrude from the original sub is just to make the alignment easier and won't be reused.
That works. Don't forget that 10mm(??) bolt in the back of the door subs. You do have to remove the door panel to remove the OEM drivers.

Oh, and mark the original grill as to where the top is. The ring isn't symmetric, and it MUST go on the same way it came off as it contours to the door. When I was messing with mine, I just made a mark at the top with a grease pencil. It seems like there was an arrow molded into it, but I was working in a dimly lit garage and couldn't see it.
Old 9/20/06, 06:13 AM
Banned

VC4life Your install looks great. Those DB 8's would match up perfectly with the speaker grill. Were those subs shallow enough to mount in the door withough modifying the door enclosure?
Old 9/20/06, 06:15 AM
Banned

Thanks for the advice Infinity. I'll start posting pictures on Monday.

Quick Reply: Big Audio Upgrade