05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

BatNastard and others wanting door woofers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/06, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BatNastard and others wanting door woofers!!!

This was an accidental find, but these look DAMNED promising.

http://www.lorentz-audio.com/page/LA...af3e3c0ce8afd5
Old 5/14/06, 01:46 PM
V6 Member

Im in the middle of installing my JL 8w3v2s...and let me tell you, id NEVER do it again. find a woofer that fits in the door without modification (as that one may). trust me.
Old 5/14/06, 02:09 PM
GT Member

DUDE...pretty. Power hungry, but 16+mm Xmax?!?
Old 5/14/06, 03:58 PM
GT Member

Those speakers are 8 ohm. Exactly what are you trying to do? I have Rockford Fosgates in the door. I don't even use them anymore.
Old 5/14/06, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

I've e-mailed, and already received response. Single 4 ohm will be available, and if wanted, dual coils (2 or 4) would be made.

We really want a high-quality direct replacement (sorry, the Rockfords and MTX's don't cut it). It has been a struggle to find, and every promising lead has been shot down thus far.
Old 5/14/06, 05:31 PM
GT Member

What kind of amp are you wanting or going to run?
Old 5/14/06, 06:21 PM
GT Member

Hey Thunder,
I'm hoping to find something that sounds better than stock on the stock amps...which I realize is foolish, so I'll settle for something that sounds decent and slams a bit until I can get new amps.
Infinity, I'd definitely be interested in the dual 2 Ohm version at that price, although I've never heard their stuff...have you?
Old 5/14/06, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

No, but the build looks amazingly similar to Stryke/AcousticElegance- right down to the plagarized wording on the Slimline 10". I think this is someone who is getting drivers OEM'd by John at AE- and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Which just reminded me of someone else to e-mail.
Old 5/14/06, 07:32 PM
GT Member

The problem with the Stock Amps are two fold, one they do not even come close to providing enough power to drive real woofers. Second, the impedance is not 4 ohms so most speakers are not even compatible. First thing that you need to be aware of when designing or building a system is the type of music that you listen too. This will drive the kind of components that you will install into your system. Take advice from many different sources, even ones who own the stock deck, a blown mtx amp, and wants to put home speakers into his Mustang. If nothing else this will tell you what you don't want to do and can be quite entertaining.
Old 5/14/06, 08:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Thunder
Take advice from many different sources, even ones who own the stock deck, a blown mtx amp, and wants to put home speakers into his Mustang. If nothing else this will tell you what you don't want to do and can be quite entertaining.
LOL, what kind of ******* would...oh, wait

For me, the learning process is 51% of the fun. Car audio gear is WAY overpriced and one can stretch one's budget a lot more with raw "home" drivers. With a VERY low Wife Acceptance Factor I have to try to improve things for next to nothing.

RRRoamer claimed that his JLs outperformed even with stock amps. There are quite a few dual 2 ohm 8" subs out there (JL, diamond, kicker, ID, MB Quart to start) so the trick is finding something that will fit and behave well in a 12 liter box. Although I saw your post on the other thread, and I agree that the enclosures themselves are probably the biggest limiting factor -- cheap flexy plastic. I don't expect miracles but I imagine a well-built dual 2 ohm sub would have nearly as much bass as, and be MUCH cleaner than, the stock crap-jobs.

I listen to jazz, industrial, hip-hop, quite a range, so I need something both powerful and tight.

Old 5/14/06, 08:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
No, but the build looks amazingly similar to Stryke/AcousticElegance- right down to the plagarized wording on the Slimline 10". I think this is someone who is getting drivers OEM'd by John at AE- and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Which just reminded me of someone else to e-mail.
Nice! that would be great. I know the AV series is well-regarded.
With 20% off email pre-orders, it's like $50 each. NFB. Good find, bud. According to their site the .42 cubes is great...Q of ~0.9 I would guess? WinISD isn't sure but I didn't have Le and other specs...
Old 5/14/06, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Are there any replacements out there that wouldn't be as but ugly as the stock speakers/speaker grilles?
The first thing people notice when they open the door is how stupid those things look sticking out so far.
Old 5/14/06, 09:23 PM
GT Member

I used the audiobahn chrome flame grilles w/ aftermarket speakers, they looked ok. they don't fit on the stock speakers, though.
Old 5/15/06, 04:46 AM
GT Member

The JL Audio's are some good sounding woofers. If you bought some dual voice coil 2 ohm speakers, how did you plan on wiring them; traditionally? And if so, can the stock amp handle wiring them in that comfiguration?
Old 5/15/06, 05:27 AM
GT Member

I'm sure they are, but they are pricey and he had to modify the enclosures to fit them...

I would wire them stereo at first, like stock, then get a better amp, wire each driver in series for a 4 Ohm load, and wire both in parallel for a 2 Ohm load if I had a class D or something 2 ohm mono stable.
Old 5/15/06, 06:59 AM
GT Member

I had to modify mine as well and I would not recommend it to anyone who does not have an extensive knowledge of fiberglass. Sometimes it is just better to save awhile longer and get what you want.
Old 5/15/06, 01:30 PM
GT Member

Totally...like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

A good deal but a bit more than I want to spend. I can probably get $100 together for those lorentz drivers if they make me a DVC 2 ohm though.
Old 5/15/06, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

Actually, while the DEI Neos fit great, they sound very thin. They're seriously lacking on the low end, and even in the lower midbass region. I was VERY disappointed in them, even though I'll be running 6x8 components from that exact series. Basically, the woofers have no *****.
Old 5/15/06, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

One of the biggest problems I've come across isn't so much getting a woofer to fit, hell, a drill and a dremel can make just about ANY speaker fit. The hard part is making it look good. The factory bulges don't look great, but at least it is clean. It will be very difficult to integrate the factory grill into an aftermarket installation unless the bolt pattern of the replacement woofer matches precisely, and even at that rate, modifications will have to be made to the grill. I would love some of the black bar grills from partsexpress, but they don't make them in 8". I think the Fishman/Tsunami's will fit, but they're pretty bling-bling.
Old 5/15/06, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is why I got my system with out the stock 8's. Now im not limited to thos boxes. The stock boxes are connected to the door right...no way of takeing them off? You could get a 8 that works IB (if you can take the stock boxes out)....like these http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=1&pid=1&cur=USD

There is also this 7" mini sub...I dont know if it would fit that stock box or not. http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=32&cur=USD

Quick Reply: BatNastard and others wanting door woofers!!!