05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Aux input for 2005 shaker 500 system?

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/11, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aux input for 2005 shaker 500 system?

Well guys ive had my car now for 6 years and I am really wanting to get a ipod/aux input in it. I had the old pie unit from a few years back but it made all my dash lights go crazy and not work correctly so I had to unistall it after only 2 days. I have the shaker 500 system installed in my car and Im wondering if there are any new units that will work correctly with the shaker 500 system? I really only caring about adding the aux input feature, the charging and radio control features are nice but I dont really care if I have them or not. Thanks!
Old 6/21/11, 11:48 AM
Cobra Member

The 05's didn't have them from the factory?
Old 6/21/11, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

No unfortunately they didnt
Old 6/21/11, 03:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are trying to use an Ipod I had an Alpine unit that worked great. It plugged into the antenna and needed power and ground. It used an empty or dead channel to broadcast. I was not sure of it because we get a lot of static on all channels up here but it worked. Charged the Ipod also. Alpine DPR-RDS1 Factory Radio Interface for iPod® and iPhone®.
Just my .02
Old 6/21/11, 05:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
The 05's didn't have them from the factory?
2005+2006 did not
My 2007 had it.
Old 6/21/11, 07:17 PM

Unless you really want to keep the stock look, you could get a new deck and wiring harness for about $150. The sound is way better then stock and you also get control of the door subs. Plus it will play and charge ipods at the same time.
Old 6/21/11, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

yea thats what I have been thinking but at the same time i figure if I am going to repalce the head unit entirely I should just go ahead and get the in dash nav unit from pioneer, which would be alot more expensive.
Old 6/21/11, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mco05gt
If you are trying to use an Ipod I had an Alpine unit that worked great. It plugged into the antenna and needed power and ground. It used an empty or dead channel to broadcast. I was not sure of it because we get a lot of static on all channels up here but it worked. Charged the Ipod also. Alpine DPR-RDS1 Factory Radio Interface for iPod® and iPhone®.
Just my .02
thanks for the advice. ill have to look into that one
Old 6/22/11, 06:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
yea thats what I have been thinking but at the same time i figure if I am going to repalce the head unit entirely I should just go ahead and get the in dash nav unit from pioneer, which would be alot more expensive.
That's what I ended up doing. Though, if you have a newer iPod, I recommend getting the latest version of their HU. My AVIC-D3 will only have fully functionality with iPod classic 6th gen and older. It'll still charge a newer one, but the control through the HU touch screen is lost.. you have to use the iPod to do anything.
Old 6/22/11, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

You're probably not wanting to think about it, but I too used the PIE interface adapter that allowed you to plug in your iPod via the headphone jack (no stereo controls, just audio). I had to send of for an updated chip as the version mine was originally flashed with had a bug and would drain the battery. I used it for over 4 years with zero issues after that.

Sean Beauchamp sent me a set of black door handles for free out of the kindness of his heart a while back, so I still owe the karma Gods. If you are interested in keeping your stock unit, I can "almost" promise that mine will work just fine, and I'd be willing to send it to you free of charge.

PM me with your address and let me know!
Old 6/23/11, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by azoufan
You're probably not wanting to think about it, but I too used the PIE interface adapter that allowed you to plug in your iPod via the headphone jack (no stereo controls, just audio). I had to send of for an updated chip as the version mine was originally flashed with had a bug and would drain the battery. I used it for over 4 years with zero issues after that.

Sean Beauchamp sent me a set of black door handles for free out of the kindness of his heart a while back, so I still owe the karma Gods. If you are interested in keeping your stock unit, I can "almost" promise that mine will work just fine, and I'd be willing to send it to you free of charge.

PM me with your address and let me know!
That is an extremely nice gesture and I do truly appreciate it. If it works I will be so happy and grateful to you! PM Sent.
Old 6/23/11, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

This might be what you're looking for.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63994
Old 6/24/11, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well nothing to see here, I promise my man a free part to fix it and then fall through. I can't find this thing for the life of me, or the stereo installer made off with it and I was too excited about my new HU to notice. It's not installed in the car still (yes, I did check).

Sent you a PM, but want to reiterate, very sorry I fell through for you on this. Hope this all works out for you, maybe someone else has an adapter they aren't using and can send it your way.

All the best!
Old 6/27/11, 11:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

S197 V6,

I just pulled the frd04 out of our 06 mustang.

Our Shaker 1000 head unit was having issues. It hasn't played Cd's in years and was dropping channels on the front speakers on multiple inputs. Last week the shaker stopped seeing the frd04.. AFAIK, the frd04 is just fine but I had no other way to try it.

I dropped in a Clarion CX501 head unit over the weekend which had front panel Aux, and USB and seems to work fine with our Iphone 3gs's. I think I paid $230 for the new head unit, wire harness, and the metra dash kit via amazon. The new head unit works as well as the old shaker 1000 and has bluetooth (audio and telelphone, at least on the iphones) but is only a 1 disc player.

Your welcome to it for free (just pay shipping) if you want it. I have it sitting on the kitchen table if you want it.. It should fit into a USPS priority mail small box, so shipping would be about $6 and you'd have it in < 3 days.

let me know..

~Mark

Last edited by maniak; 6/27/11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 6/28/11, 10:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I agree with the new HU. You get so much more sound and options. I was worried about losing the six disc but realized you can fit much more music on a 8 gig SD card or flash drive and be able to shuffle through all the music without switching CDs. Plus I never had someone say "oooh thats a cool looking stock head unit!!"
Old 6/29/11, 01:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by azoufan
Well nothing to see here, I promise my man a free part to fix it and then fall through. I can't find this thing for the life of me, or the stereo installer made off with it and I was too excited about my new HU to notice. It's not installed in the car still (yes, I did check).

Sent you a PM, but want to reiterate, very sorry I fell through for you on this. Hope this all works out for you, maybe someone else has an adapter they aren't using and can send it your way.

All the best!

No need to apologize at all. It was a really generous offer in the first place and it just didnt happen to work out. No biggie, thanks anyways for the thought though!
Old 6/29/11, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by maniak
S197 V6,

I just pulled the frd04 out of our 06 mustang.

Our Shaker 1000 head unit was having issues. It hasn't played Cd's in years and was dropping channels on the front speakers on multiple inputs. Last week the shaker stopped seeing the frd04.. AFAIK, the frd04 is just fine but I had no other way to try it.

I dropped in a Clarion CX501 head unit over the weekend which had front panel Aux, and USB and seems to work fine with our Iphone 3gs's. I think I paid $230 for the new head unit, wire harness, and the metra dash kit via amazon. The new head unit works as well as the old shaker 1000 and has bluetooth (audio and telelphone, at least on the iphones) but is only a 1 disc player.

Your welcome to it for free (just pay shipping) if you want it. I have it sitting on the kitchen table if you want it.. It should fit into a USPS priority mail small box, so shipping would be about $6 and you'd have it in < 3 days.

let me know..

~Mark
Thanks for the offer! Before I accept though, could you just give me a little more about the frd04 unit from your 06? Like who makes it and such, so I can do a little research on it to make sure it will work correctly with the 05 model since alot of the adapters that work well dont end up working on the 05 for whatever reason.
Old 6/30/11, 02:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Its the PIE adapter. We got it, IIRC, late 2006 which I was told was the 2nd set of adapters. These already have some kind of change to make them work better than the original one.

Here is the page from the manufacurer.
http://www.pie.net/index.php?option=...d=45&Itemid=40

I did notice the price has dropped tons since we bought it.. Its <$75 from amazon.

~Mark
Old 7/6/11, 12:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by maniak
Nice! I just installed that same HU:

$200 for everything from Amazon, as well. Works great and only took about a half hour to install. Love using my Droid X as an iPod (have my iTunes playlists on the Droid and then sync it up with the bluetooth on the Clarion) or to stream Pandora wirelessly.

Last edited by ChrisV; 7/6/11 at 12:47 PM.
Old 7/10/11, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The 1 disc thing was an initial concern, til I realized the USB, SD cards, BT streaming would make that a moot point.

Quick Reply: Aux input for 2005 shaker 500 system?