05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Auto-dimming rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/05, 08:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up the auto-dimming rearview mirror (auto-dim, temp display & compass) - part #XF2Z-17700-AA

Has anyone done this yet? It's the one thing I really miss from my last car... flipping the tab on the mirror just doesn't cut it.
Old 2/21/05, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have not done it, but it sounds interesting to me. How much does the mirror alone cost?

Installation should not be that hard as long as there is power going to your current one.
Old 2/21/05, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Doesn't look like there's power going to the current mirror. Depending on how they wired the car, there could be something up with the dome lights though (could be plug-and-play).

Pricing on the fordaccessoriesstore.com site are:

$299.40 with temp display
$179.64 without temp display

I haven't looked into how difficult the install would be... getting power to it would be the big question though.
Old 2/21/05, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) We limo tinted the rear and sail panel windows. Don't worry about lights in the mirror anymore; cost about the same as mirror w/o display. Plus now no UV worry for rear deck & seats. My $0.02
Old 2/22/05, 05:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking about getting one of these as well. You have to run the power down the passenger A pillar to the fuse box and tie it in there. For the one with the temp. display you have to mount the probe up front behind/under the bumper. I've also hear you have to be real careful removing the existing mirror - if you don't do it slowly, the window can break.
Old 2/22/05, 09:05 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I've also got the limo tint and I have no problem with lights from behind. I don't think I ever flipped the miorror up. Get the tint done for between 100 and 200 buck and you'll save some money, plus it'll make your ride look clean. IMO
Old 2/22/05, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a compass and dimming mirror sitting around from a previous vehicle, installed it last weekend. It was easy to install, found the radio wire down by the fuse panel and tapped in there, then tapped into a nearby ground wire. It's a nice feature to have. I do plan on tinting the rear windows though too. I pretty much wanted the mirror in there for the compass, very helpful item to have.
Old 2/23/05, 12:17 AM
Cobra Member

I'm with you guys and am going to add the mirror with the temp/compass and the HomeLink feature.....I can't stand having to dig in the console every time to open the garage door!! My Lincoln LS had this feature built in and it was very convenient.....the auto dimming feature is OK (I have already tinted the rear 3 windows) but the compass is real nice to have as well.

I talked to my local Ford dealer about the install and he said the only difficult part was running a power wire for the mirror - but I've already had my headliner out (Dynamat Extreme to the inside roof to quiet vibrations) and it would be very easy to run a power wire down the "A" pillar to the fuse box. I've already tapped into the passenger side A pillar lighted entry wires to add courtesy lights.
Old 2/23/05, 05:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by HOTLAP@February 23, 2005, 1:20 AM

I talked to my local Ford dealer about the install and he said the only difficult part was running a power wire for the mirror - but I've already had my headliner out (Dynamat Extreme to the inside roof to quiet vibrations) and it would be very easy to run a power wire down the "A" pillar to the fuse box. I've already tapped into the passenger side A pillar lighted entry wires to add courtesy lights.
Where do you pick up this Dynamat product? Is it self adhesive mats to provide sound deadening? I think the wheel wells need something - a lot of water splash noise in the wheel wells when it is raining.
Thx
Old 2/23/05, 12:14 PM
V6 Member

I'm still waiting for my car to arrive, but when it does the dealer will be installing the auto-dimming mirror. I'm also planning on having the windows tinted, though not limo tinting in the back. I want to make sure that I can see out the back while backing up at night.

need to change signature to reflect new delivery date. It's now arriving on the .
Old 2/23/05, 05:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05RedGT+February 23, 2005, 6:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05RedGT @ February 23, 2005, 6:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HOTLAP@February 23, 2005, 1:20 AM

Where do you pick up this Dynamat product? Is it self adhesive mats to provide sound deadening? I think the wheel wells need something - a lot of water splash noise in the wheel wells when it is raining.
Thx
[/b][/quote]

Brad - it's available at sound shops and via Crutchfield on the net. I use the Dynamat Extreme (has a very pliable self sticking rubberized backing with a thin heat resistant alum skin. Be sure to get the roller handle as you will need that as well. I've been buying the "Door Kits" with 4 12" x 36" sheets and have installed 3 boxes to my '05 - trunk floor, rear qtr panel insides, drivetrain hump, floor and cowl/front wheel well area.
Old 2/23/05, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm getting the windows tinted tomorrow, but will probably still get the mirror put in as well. I miss having the outside temp and homelink. I'm going with 35% tint (the cops really aren't fans of anything darker around here), so it's possible I may still get some glare as well.
Old 2/24/05, 12:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Dynamat products, especially the extreme, are great. They really make a difference in lowering the ambient noise inside a vehicle. I only say ambient because most fill that void with stereo sound.
Old 2/24/05, 11:32 PM
V6 Member

Folks... go to a subaru dealer (or get one online) the Homelink version of the mirror is identical to Ford's but only $190 or so online and $220 in the dealer parts department. The hookup requires splicing a pair of wires that go to ground and 12v switched and cutting off the Subaru plug that was put on by their factory. For the $150 saved I'll cut a wire. Installed in about 45 minutes, works great!

Peet
Old 2/25/05, 05:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by peet@February 25, 2005, 12:35 AM
Folks... go to a subaru dealer (or get one online) the Homelink version of the mirror is identical to Ford's but only $190 or so online and $220 in the dealer parts department. The hookup requires splicing a pair of wires that go to ground and 12v switched and cutting off the Subaru plug that was put on by their factory. For the $150 saved I'll cut a wire. Installed in about 45 minutes, works great!

Peet
Peet - excellent tip!!! Do you have any pics of the mirror or install?
Old 2/25/05, 11:11 PM
V6 Member

Sorry - I didn't document the install, it was waaaay too cold in the garage to stay too long so I rushed through it.

I can tell you that it looks identical (it's the same unit) to the Ford part and both are made by Gentex.

Here is the online place for $191 (I opted for the instant gratification and dropped by the subaru dealer -- boy did they have a funny look on their face having the GT pull into a lot of tiny hi revving cars )

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog...&showprevnext=1

If you need help installing, PM me - and I'll dig into the old noggin for what I ended up doing. As far as wiring - I used the fuse from the auto trans overdrive (I don't have auto trans, so it was a double win).

Peet
Old 2/27/05, 12:46 AM
GT Member

Yes it was one of the first things that I got for my car and was on within a week of getting my car and I love the thing it was well worth every penny.
Old 3/13/05, 12:33 AM
Cobra Member

Peet - just finished successfully installing my Auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and Home Link. Was very easy and ended up connecting all 3 wires. the outside solid black wire was for the always "hot" lead (I used the power mirror fuse) and the black w/white stripe was for the "switched" power and I ran it to the wiper fuse. Center black wire went to frame ground under the map light housing. Works great and thanks again for the "Subaru" lead - must have saved me $100 - $150 for the same mirror!! :worship: :worship:

Easy install down the passenger side "A" pillar to the fuse box in the passenger kick panel.

Neither set of instructions (Ford or Subaru) was very clear as to what the solid black "always hot" lead was for.....all I can figure is it may be for the Compass memory or something? No mention of connecting it to the reverse light circuit - so I doubt it has anything to do with the "reverse cancellation feature" cancelling the auto dim feature while in reverse....my LS had this - but can't say that I miss it much - as it would only apply while dark out/in reverse if another cars lights are hitting your mirror.....I did test the black/white wire and it operates all the mirrors features - compass, auto dim and Home Link......
Old 3/13/05, 01:32 AM
3rd Times A Charm

So what is HomeLink??? Is that so you can open a garage dor????
Old 3/13/05, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HOTLAP@March 13, 2005, 12:36 AM
Peet - just finished successfully installing my Auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and Home Link. Was very easy and ended up connecting all 3 wires. the outside solid black wire was for the always "hot" lead (I used the power mirror fuse) and the black w/white stripe was for the "switched" power and I ran it to the wiper fuse. Center black wire went to frame ground under the map light housing. Works great and thanks again for the "Subaru" lead - must have saved me $100 - $150 for the same mirror!! :worship: :worship:

Easy install down the passenger side "A" pillar to the fuse box in the passenger kick panel.

Neither set of instructions (Ford or Subaru) was very clear as to what the solid black "always hot" lead was for.....all I can figure is it may be for the Compass memory or something? No mention of connecting it to the reverse light circuit - so I doubt it has anything to do with the "reverse cancellation feature" cancelling the auto dim feature while in reverse....my LS had this - but can't say that I miss it much - as it would only apply while dark out/in reverse if another cars lights are hitting your mirror.....I did test the black/white wire and it operates all the mirrors features - compass, auto dim and Home Link......
On the Ford homelink mirror (and I'm basing this on the one I just received and installed from 05stangkc) there were three leads, a black lead with white stipe, a black lead in the middle, and a black lead on the right. When I first talked to Kevin about this the only instructions he could find on Ford's intranet was for a non-homelink mirrir. While he was out trying to get me the right instructions I decided to experiment a little. What I determined was as follows:

1. The center black lead is the ground (the Ford harness has a circular lug installed on that lug from the factory)

2. The black lead with white stripe (connectors tinned copper) connects to a switched +12v source and provides power to the compass and undim functions

3. The other black lead (connectors tinned silver) connects to an always on +12v source and provides power to the homelink circuitry in the mirror.

Quick Reply: Auto-dimming rearview mirror