05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Audio Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/05, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

Very new mustang owner and even newer member. Currently waiting for my 2005 Mustang GT-Premium Black...plan on getting gray stripping over top and hood

Anyway, I am beginning to plan my audio install and have a couple questions. First here is what will be going into my new baby...This stuff is currently running in my Jeep Cherokee and absolutely sounds incredible.

HU - Alpine 7995 (preamp only) w/ optional Aux. input for the iPod
Speakers - DLS Iridium 6.3 (6.5" woof. 3" mid, 1" tweet) 3 way components
Sub - Resonant Engineering XXX 12"
Amps - Tru Technology 4 X 100 w/ Burr Brown upgrade...Bridged to the DLS 3
Hi-Fonics 1000 X 1 to the RE XXX

1. Will a 6.5 " woofer fit in the stock door?
2. should I add a single DIN equalizer to better fit the Alpine into the Stock space instead of using an adapter?
3. Is there anyway to relocate the side mirror controls in the A pillars so that I can install the DLS tweeters in that location?

Thanks for any help. Can't wait to be able to post pictures of the car with the new custom stereo
Old 2/20/05, 02:15 PM
GT Member

1) If you have a Shaker system with the 8" woofers in the door, then you can fit the 6.5" woofer in those locations. You just need to make an adpater for them.

2) It will be difficult to mount your deck and an EQ in the double DIN opening because there is nothing to screw your deck and EQ into. You need the adapter to hold the deck in place. However, I am sure you could custom make something that would work. The single DIN adapter looks fine IMO.

3) Yes you can relocate the mirror controls but it will be a lot of work. As long as you have the skills, you should be able to do it.

Hope that helps.
Old 2/20/05, 11:41 PM
V6 Member

While you're wiring all this stuff, gut the interior and dynamat the pi$$ out of it! That's my first project on the road to sound this spring. Too darned cold to work on this stuff now.

P
Old 2/21/05, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the Replies,

I talked to my DLS rep today, and I am going to order the 8" DLS Iridium woofers to replace the 6.5s. the crossovers, mids and tweets are the same in that set anyway. Besides...8" woofs instead of 6.5...why not!

Also, thanks for the advice on the HU. I will probably just buy the adapter for the single DIN or maybe do some research on some single DIN Navagation HUs, any suggestions.

If re-wiring the mirror controls is too much of a pain, is there any other location you would recommend for the tweeters?

I do plan of having both doors and the entire trunk lined with Dyna. Hopefully that will be quet enough...or I will move onto the floors and roof.

Thanks for the advice
Old 2/21/05, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by peet@February 21, 2005, 12:44 AM
While you're wiring all this stuff, gut the interior and dynamat the pi$$ out of it! That's my first project on the road to sound this spring. Too darned cold to work on this stuff now.

P
Peet - AMEN!! Hugh difference - since I lined the trunk, floor, doors, rear quarters with dynamat Extreme - most of the road noise is gone and the car sounds so much more solid & quiet - well worth the $$ IMO. I even went as far as to remove the front wheel well innnerliners and did the firewall/lower cowl area!
Old 2/21/05, 11:50 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 2005mustanglover@February 21, 2005, 10:18 AM

If re-wiring the mirror controls is too much of a pain, is there any other location you would recommend for the tweeters?

Well, technically you are suppose to mount them fairly close to the mid-range speaker. One option (if you don't mind drilling into your door panel) is to mount the tweeters using a flush mount kit directly over top of your 3" mid-range speaker(where the stock 5x7 speaker is). But you would have to drill a hole into the door panel. Other then that, unfortunately there is not a whole lot of places to mount it since the stock system didn't come with any seperate tweeters.
Old 2/21/05, 12:00 PM
GT Member

QUOTE(peet @ February 21, 2005, 12:44 AM)
Peet - AMEN!! Hugh difference - since I lined the trunk, floor, doors, rear quarters with dynamat Extreme - most of the road noise is gone and the car sounds so much more solid & quiet - well worth the $$ IMO. I even went as far as to remove the front wheel well innnerliners and did the firewall/lower cowl area!

I don't have the patience for doing this, but sounds like a great idea. Who could do it ---audio place? -- and how much would set me back?