05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System
View Poll Results: So - How do you feel about your Shaker Audio System?
I love my Shaker
54.88%
I Hate my Shaker
17.07%
I wish I had a Shaker
1.22%
I ripped mine out and replaced it (or will in the near future)!
26.83%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Audio System operation - Shaker bites!

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/06, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Audio System operation - Shaker bites!

Let me preface this with a little info on myself - I have a Mechanical and Electrical Engineering background and consider myself to be at least an 8 on a 1-10 scale of being "Technically Competent".
================================================== =

I don't know about anyone else but I find the operation of the Shaker Audio system far less than intuitive. When I go to load a CD, it decides that what I really want to do is eject a CD (even though I only have 1 or 2 in it at the time). Finding the "Slot" to actually get the tractor feed to draw the CD in by itself can be a chore. Last night I got so ticked at it that I was ready to just JAM the darned thing right through the dash. It then decided to Eject the top CD.
Both CDs went out the window and I turned the whole 9 yards off.

I'm ready to just rip that whole darned shaker system out and install an aftermarket Single-CD system with an iPod interface.
Phooey on Ford and their ill-thought out and executed audio system..

Does anyone else feel that this system is just no where near what it should be?
Old 8/31/06, 07:12 AM
V6 Member

I've never had a problem where it decided to eject instead of load (unless I accidentally hit the wrong side of the button). However, when loading an MP3 or regular audio CD, occassionally it will spit it back out and say 'bad disc'. I have to reload it after that and it will take it. Once or twice (of hundreds of attempts) it has spit out a 'bad disc' when switching from one CD to another. Overall though I have learned to live with it and have no serious gripes because I like the way the thing sounds. It's not every car that can fit an 8" subwoofer in the door.
Old 8/31/06, 07:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

My Shaker has worked rather well actually. I had one day a month ago or so where it weirded out, but it's a good stock system IMO.
I will be replacing it though, aftermarket is just SO much better.
Old 8/31/06, 07:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I agree not intuitive I did take time to read the manual. It is slow to change the disk slots and makes a lot of noise, the trunk mounted ones do the same thing you just do hear them when they are mounted in the trunk. Overall I really like the Shaker system. Mush better sound and flexibility then any other factory or AM system so far. I like the bling of the Panasonic 7" DVD though.
Old 8/31/06, 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The operation of this unit is not very different than any other Factory installed indash 6 disc changer from any manufacturer. The carrage mechanism does take time to function. If you have ever seen one of these mechanisms out on the bench, you would wonder how it functions at all being asked to be bounced down the road in an automobile.
Old 8/31/06, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoy that it plays mp3's on CD-R, that's a step up from the system i had in my F150 Lariat. But right now i just like hear the horses run, so i don't really use my Shaker 500 very much.
Old 8/31/06, 12:04 PM
V6 Member

These poll results are interesting... you either love it or you rip it out.

Old 8/31/06, 09:26 PM
Number Cruncher

I didn't see a choice for "I'm ambivalent about it."

Haven't had any problems with mine, but I agree that the lag time between CDs is ridiculous.
Will probably go aftermarket later on, but I don't hate my Shaker 500.
Biggest problem I have is trying to remember which CDs are in there.
Old 9/1/06, 12:40 AM

No Skipper 500 for me. All it did was sound like mud and make my ears ring. Now I can go as loud as want, no distortion, and having an integrated Ipod interface ROCKS!!!
Old 9/1/06, 12:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I replaced mine 2 weeks after I picked mine up. Still have it if anyone wants it? It worked fine when it was in. I just wanted gps and alot of other features so I put in a pioneer AVIC-N2, with ipod adapter,sat radio and tv tuner. I also have the camera Id like to install it in the rear truck inplace of the key hole, but havent had time or guts to mess with it.

I also replaces all the speakers with JBL 2ways as the stock ones were starting to go with the extra power I was putting through them and sounded really crappy at high levels.

My future stereo mods are 1din pioneer digi equalizer, tweeters in the pillars, subs in the trunk, and new subs/amp in the doors.
Old 9/1/06, 04:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I am happy with my shaker1k, it took me a while to find what I consider to be the best settings for what I like to listen to, but since then I consider the system to be pretty dam good for factory, best I've ever had anyways, but I've never had a car with an upgraded system like this one either Yes sometimes it will skip, but honestly not that often, and sometimes it will read a disc as bad, so have to reinsert, but again, just every once in a great while. I bought my car off the lot, and it had the Shaker1k in it. If I were ordering a new Mustang I would probably just use the money and invest in an aftermarket system, but so far I consider the system to be more than adequate.
Old 9/1/06, 09:47 PM
GT Member

I have the shaker 1000, and I loved it at first because compared to what I had in my old car it was great. Now that the excite of the new car is wearing off (just a little) I'm starting to feel that the shaker1k is not all its cracked up to be. For $1600 (or whatever the price was) a stereo with 4 amps and 4 subwoofer should blow the doors off. The shaker sounds good with some songs, but it gets distorted with many of them. I'm not satisfied, and think I will replace the head unit once I get the performance mods out of the way.

And just for the record, I don't have a problem with MP3 discs not working, nor problems with skipping. Changing CD's does take some time, but its tolerable in my opinion.
Old 9/4/06, 07:40 PM
GTR Member

Slower than molasses but I'm keeping it until it blows up
Old 9/6/06, 08:38 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

The sound on my 1K is great, but I agree the operation of the unit is painstakingly slow.

My previous vehicle had a single in dash and a 6 CD changer in the trunk and I prefer that system. 6-in dash seems to be all the rage these days but I find it slow and annoying. I would rather just load 6 of my favourite CDs in the trunk and leave them there and have a quick single CD in the front to pop in CDs I frequently change.

It really is not intuitive either...and the noise it makes! Sounds like a cricket going into labour with all that clicking and moaning
Old 9/6/06, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Unhappy

I've got mixed feelings on my Shaker 1000. The sound quality is great, I love the convenience of 6 disc in-dash for books on cd, but the skipping is horrible. It cuts off the last few seconds of most tracks, and of all the cd players I have ever used, this one is the most sensitive to scratches and prone to rejecting discs.
Old 9/8/06, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

I have the Shaker 500 in my '05 GT coupe. I don't hate it but am disappointed by the lack of quality sound. Ford's answer to other auto manufacturer's preimum sounds seems to be to add a marginal bass box enclosure and call it a day. Seems to me that this car is aimed at the younger crowd - should have sat radio built in, faceplate usb interface for iPods, etc. and more and cleaner power. Especially disappointing is the sound quality and the sometimes "quirky" functions of the CD player.....that's why I'd NEVER pay the extra $1K for the Shaker1000 - just to add a sub with marginal amp and speaker in the trunk. I will eventually upgrade the system - using a 4 channel amp, remote turn on sensor, line level converters and aftermarket speakers....that way I can keep the stock HU and have a much better sounding/more powerful sound system. I did this on my '01 Lincoln LS and it was a HUGH improvement in sound while allowing me to keep the stock HU with Steering wheel controls, etc. intact.
Old 9/9/06, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

I voted "I hate my shaker"

I don't really, for just radio it's fine, it sounds good and is far louder than I'd ever need it to be. I'm not into sharing my musical tastes with every other driver in my vacinity (or 3 city blocks as seems to be real popular 'round here) with anoying thump boom thump boom pooka chicka-pooka chicka pop boom.

The shaker is as you mentioned, not intuitive to use at all, but thats not a real big deal. The big deal is the spitting cd's, freezing up, skipping, refusing to work ect. I don't really know what to do with it short of replacing the whole thing at my own expense. It's the random nature of it's freaking out, makes it pretty difficult to demonstrate to the dealership.

I don't even bother having CD's in the car anymore.
Old 9/9/06, 11:23 AM
V6 Member

thump boom thump boom pooka chicka-pooka chicka pop boom
<- I think I know that tune.
Old 9/10/06, 01:34 PM
GT Member

How does the shaker compare to the Boston Acoustics that come in Chrysler?
Old 9/10/06, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, I was trying to listen to a set of CDs today and all the skipping, forgetting what track it's on, and general retardedness pushed me into "hate". I can't reproduce any of these issues with the cds in ANY other cd player (computer drive, stereo, walkman, etc..)

Quick Reply: Audio System operation - Shaker bites!