05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/08 | 02:24 PM

Audio questions

Hi All

I have a couple of audio questions to ask those of you in the know.

I have an '05 V6 that originally came with the standard HU. I have already upgraded to the Shaker 500 from an '07 which was pretty much a P&P. Sound is definitely not to my liking though. I'm keeping the HU so upgrading to aftermarket is not an option. I like the way that it looks like it is supposed to be there and everything matches. So..... upgrading the speakers is the next avenue to go. The Shaker system in the GT's have the door subs so I was thinking about adding them to my system. I don't need a top of the line system nor do I have the cash for such.

Question 1:
Will the door panels from an '07 GT fit an '05 V6? I talked to the local Ford dealer and he wasn't sure if they would or not. He thought an 05 and 06 would be interchangeable but thought that there was a production date cutoff from the 07 year that wouldn't fit. The price for each is outrageous so I thought I might try the boneyards if I need them.

Question 2:
Do the door subs really help with the bass or can I get away with just adding an amp to power the two front and two rear speakers? I was going to upgrade the speakers to Infinitys and add an Infinity amp anyway. If the door subs make a difference then what could I go to for them? I'm guessing that the subs have a small amp each powering them. Where could I locate them and what would I use for those?

Question 3:
Are the door subs that much of a PITA when entering or exiting the vehicle? I have read that people are always banging their shins on them and generally curse that they are there.

I'm pretty sure I had a question 4 but its slipped my mind right now. If I rememeber I will post again.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Old 8/8/08 | 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I can answer one of your queries: Question Three.
I only kick the door speakers when I'm trying to squeeze out of the car in my garage without fully opening the driver door. But I have long legs and this is not a problem if I can fully open the door.
Old 8/18/08 | 07:45 PM

Hmmmmmmmm.

Guess no one on here owns a GT.

Thanks for your input PC
Old 8/19/08 | 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

IMO, I'd look for a decent set of 6.5 inch separates. Or whatever fits the V6 panel.The shaker is decent but nothing like a good aftermarket system. If you could get it all really cheap though it might not be a bad way to go but if I were going to put the work in it, I would go decent aftermarket. Shop ebay or other web store for stuff and you'll save a ton. It's been a while since I have done any car audio but there were a handful of online retailers with the right stuff at the right price. You might even check crutchfield.

The door subs occasionally hit pretty good but most of the time they get distorted pretty easily. Especially with any level of volume.
Old 8/25/08 | 08:41 PM

Thanks randy. If I'm understanding you correctly, I should forget about the door subs and go with really good door speakers as well as rears and amps to power everthing.
Thanks for your help.
Old 8/25/08 | 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not too familiar with our car's mounting sizes but I know a decent set of amplified components would sound better than the factory speakers/ door subs. Some guys are putting some small woofers in place of the door subs but I'd bet you can mount a mid-woofer from a component set also.

Originally Posted by canadian_pony
Thanks randy. If I'm understanding you correctly, I should forget about the door subs and go with really good door speakers as well as rears and amps to power everthing.
Thanks for your help.