05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Amp Questions

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/05, 08:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that I have my new speakers and headunit installed, its time for the thing that everyone loves at one point in their life or another- bass. I was looking at a set of Audiobahn AW1251T 12" subs or a pair of Pioneer TSW305C 12" subs. Now that I have the subs figured out- The question of amps arises. I know the less channels you have- the better the sound, but is this sound quaity that noticable? my choices are a 1600watt SoundStorm 4 channel amp or a 1200watt C700 2 channel amp. Which would you choose? Also, does dual voice coils mean that you must hook up two inputs per sub (thus needing a 4 channel amp)?
Old 2/13/05, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To bridge or not to bridge? That is the question....

One thing to keep in mind: All the amps up parallel internally. NO ONE makes a FET that can handle the current that a high power amp needs to put out, so they are running parallel anyway. Bridging an amp just runs the two seperate amps in parallel. Does it hurt sound quality? Probably a tiny bit. It all depends on how good of a job the manufacturer did when they designed the bridge circuitry. For a sub, I personally wouldn't worry about unless you are in competition.

Dual voice coil just makes the sub more flexible. Say you have two 2 ohm voice coils. You have several ways you can run these. You CAN power a single sub with two seperate amp channels by feeding each channel the same sub signal and attaching one amp to one voice coil. Usually, you will do it a bit different and use the duel coils for flexibility. For exampe, if you have a monster amp that hits HARD at 1 ohm loads, you wire your dual 2 ohm VCs up at a single 1 ohm VC by wiring them in parallel. If you have an amp that can't drive a 2 ohm load, you wire the VCs in series and have a 4 ohm load for your amp. Simple. Of course, you have a lot more options when you are running muiltiple subs, each with dual VCs.
Old 2/14/05, 09:52 AM
V6 Member

Here are some helpful FAQ's from Crutchfield.

Question regarding Dual Voice Coils:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-vfr3Ub...ers_faq.html#10

and

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-vfr3Ub...ofers_dual.html

Question regarding number of channels for your amp:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-vfr3Ub...ers_faq.html#19

I'm looking to put in my own system when my Mustang arrives so I've been doing a lot of reading.
Hope that helps.
Old 2/15/05, 10:12 AM
GT Member

Awesome, now that I understand how the DVC system works- All I have to do is figure out how I want to wire it. With the 4 channel amp- all of these ways are possible..I'll probably go with the Independent style for ease of wiring, then maybe change it later. Thanks for all the info!
Old 2/15/05, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

What box will you be using with the dual 12"s? My mustang isnt here yet, and I am not sure which boxes will fit for 12" subs.
Old 2/15/05, 05:52 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by emperorjordan@February 15, 2005, 1:57 PM
What box will you be using with the dual 12"s? My mustang isnt here yet, and I am not sure which boxes will fit for 12" subs.
Well, the set I'm getting is on EBAY- which is the best way to go IF AND ONLY IF u know what exactly you need and if the savings are worth it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7948014472&rd=1

At about $270(shipping included) plus about maybe $30 tops for an amp kit gives you $300 as a final cost- which isnt bad at all for 1600watts of power and an amp that can run it. Being a DVC, the 4 channel will work fine with it. Only down side to this set up is the amount of trunk space it takes up.