05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Adding footwell lights

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/05 | 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

I have a set of white varad LED lights I want to mount under the dash. I figure the best bet is to wire them to the map lights. Any ideas on how to remove the map light assembly? I hate to pry too hard and break something.
Old 4/7/05 | 06:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just pull it down, use a thin blunt tool to start either side and pull firmly to disengage the retaining clips. One clip on each side.
Old 4/7/05 | 10:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

:scratch: Why not parallel into the door switch
Old 4/8/05 | 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

First thing I did was look for a door switch. It is not the old plunger style. Some type of switch built into the door latch. I'll try pulling down carfully today.

Thanks.
Old 4/8/05 | 10:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

There was thread describing how to do this. If I remember correctly it said the wiring runs up the passnger side winshield pillar. Just unsnap the molding to expose the wires. If you can find the thread it even explained which wires to
splice into. Curious how you make out .. I'd like to do this as well.
Old 4/8/05 | 10:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05SatinGT@April 8, 2005, 11:07 AM
There was thread describing how to do this. If I remember correctly it said the wiring runs up the passnger side winshield pillar. Just unsnap the molding to expose the wires. If you can find the thread it even explained which wires to
splice into. Curious how you make out .. I'd like to do this as well.
Does anyone have diagrams of where to pull the pillar molding to remove it ? I also want to get behind there to do some wiring, but I am afraid that I will break the clips, or plastic parts. The molding stretches from the lower point of the front windshield almost into the rear passenger area. :scratch:
Old 4/8/05 | 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

os121 - the passenger "A" pillar moulding just pulls straight out first then up from the dash. The moulding plugs into the rear window moulding - so you need to hold it down (rear qtr. panel moulding) while pulling out the end of the "A" pillar moulding. Also, about 1/2 way up the "A" pillar the moulding is attached via a hard plastic velco clip - pulls right out - just be sure it's in the proper place B4 reattaching the pillar moulding.

I added both footwell and door edge lights (near the reflector at the rear of the door) and posted in detail (post mentioned above) about it - even the color of the wires to splice. Do a search on "courtesy lights" and it should come up.....by the way the mod was well worth it IMO - as those overhead courtesy lights do not light up the interior very well at night!

Good luck
Old 4/8/05 | 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by ravenblack67@April 6, 2005, 9:28 AM
I have a set of white varad LED lights I want to mount under the dash. I figure the best bet is to wire them to the map lights. Any ideas on how to remove the map light assembly? I hate to pry too hard and break something.

Just pull the map light housing straight down and it will pop right out! You don't need to do this though....if you can find my thread on adding courtesy lights - I identifyed which wires to tap into in my thread under adding courtesy lights.
Old 4/8/05 | 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks HOTLAP ! I can't wait to give it a shot. I bet your interior lights look real good - that is a great mod, especially since the interior is so dark.
Old 4/8/05 | 07:13 PM

I still have my GT on order however this seems to be an issue. It would be great to see before and after pics or just after pics would be great.
Old 4/8/05 | 10:19 PM

You can actually access the wiring under the dash on the passenger side. Only I have absolutely no idea which wire goes to what.
Old 4/10/05 | 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

A few pics of where you wired in would be quite helpful. I know pretty much where that wiring is, but a pic would help anyone else that wants to do this. I have some wiring and sockets and stuff like that at work, wouldn't be hard for me to wire it up, just need a few hours to do it.
Old 4/19/05 | 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Unfortunately I didn't take pics of the install....but the wiring is very easy if you access via the passenger "A" pillar. The only harness going up the "A" pillar is the one to the overhead map lights and there are only 3 or 4 wires in the harness. Check out my earlier post on the wire colors and you will easily see which ones to tap into - you don't even need to cut - just get a couple of those "wire tap" connectors that let you tap into an existing wire w/o cutting....look for one of the smaller connectors in the 18 guage range.

I'd get pics of the after - but the camera flash would light up the footwell - I don't think you'd see the effect of the footwell lighting......
Old 4/19/05 | 04:26 PM

Why not just turn off your flash?
Old 4/19/05 | 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@April 8, 2005, 4:16 PM
Do a search on "courtesy lights" and it should come up
No go on that. I'm looking for something to do this weekend, can you post the link? I unfortunately couldn't find the thread you were speaking of.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 4/20/05 | 05:23 PM
Cobra Member

I'll take a look in my toolbox for some lights to do this with, I'm sure something in my spare parts will do the trick. Everything I have is Ford parts so that's no problem.
Old 4/22/05 | 10:17 AM
GT Member

I think these might make a good footwell courtesy light fixture with a nice finished look.
http://www.julianos.com/adj_ang.html
Old 4/25/05 | 12:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Enfynet@April 19, 2005, 4:29 PM
Why not just turn off your flash?

Yeah Justin - but you'd only see a lit up footwell - since the bulbs sockets are up under the dash. Don't need to use finished sockets/lenses (unless you want too) as everything is out of sight and shining down into the footwell. I used the $1.99.00 12v "wedge base" sockets (2 wire) and they woked great. You can choose which 12v bulb you want depending on the amount of light...I started with the larger bulb wedge base - they were actually a bit too bright for me - so I switched them out for the 194 wedge base.
Old 4/25/05 | 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by jahnnee5@April 22, 2005, 10:20 AM
I think these might make a good footwell courtesy light fixture with a nice finished look.
http://www.julianos.com/adj_ang.html
John - thanks for the link - those would actually look good in the rear - either in the top (shining down) of the rear qtr. window moulding, or a single lense in the center of the headliner - just a few inches in from the rear window edge, or perhaps in the recessed area behind where the driver's seat belt anchor bolt is.

I may order a couple and check it out!
Old 4/25/05 | 06:13 PM
Cobra Member

A rear dome light from a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis in the headliner a few inches from the rear window would probably do the trick too. I do like the idea of a light in each pillar near the quarter windows though.

Quick Reply: Adding footwell lights