05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Active Anti-Theft

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/05, 05:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the active anti theft feature so that the alarm is super sensitive or do we have to go with the factory settings? I'd like to have it set so that if someone touches the car the alarm goes off. At the moment I can shake or rock the mustang and try to open the hood and nothing happens.

I have only had the alarm go off when I have had the windows opened and have tried to open a door by reaching in and pulling the door latch. The only exception to this was last week when some terd carved his art work on my right lower fender.

Any ideas?

Old 5/6/05, 06:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by poldrv@May 6, 2005, 5:29 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the active anti theft feature so that the alarm is super sensitive or do we have to go with the factory settings? I'd like to have it set so that if someone touches the car the alarm goes off.
Are you sure you want to do that? It will get very annoying. Every time a vehicle with loud exhaust will set it off, an airplane flying overhead will set it off, a bird crapping on it will set it off. Thieves love it when alarms are that sensitive.
Old 5/6/05, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the active anti theft only had door/hood/trunk/incline and internal motion sensors. Didn't think it had vibration or movement detectors for the car itself?
Old 5/6/05, 07:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dekujala@May 6, 2005, 7:27 AM
I thought the active anti theft only had door/hood/trunk/incline and internal motion sensors. Didn't think it had vibration or movement detectors for the car itself?

That's what I thought as well. Though maybe if you set the incline sensor SUPER sensitive it would become a shock sensor??
Old 5/6/05, 11:07 AM
Cobra R Member

I believe it did have a shock sensor, if it were bumped , but probably takes a good bumping, like a car bumping it. Also if if the car is moved or hoisted up by a tow truck it will go off supposedly.
Old 5/6/05, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by poldrv@May 6, 2005, 5:29 AM
The only exception to this was last week when some terd carved his art work on my right lower fender.

:bang: Goodness, did you catch the guy? and is it fixed?
Old 5/6/05, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh, and I would like some kind of sensor too, I know it gets annoying, but it would keep the freaks from leaning on my car trying to peer inside ---- and keep the cats off!

EDIT: I should mention I dont like people peering inside b/c I do have black, and its agravatting to sit at work and see people with their hands all over the car! :bang:

I do hit the panic button sometimes, which is always fun. Well, for me at least.
Old 5/6/05, 11:44 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Its an inclination sensor, not a movement sensor.
Old 5/6/05, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I put a Viper Alarm system on my Stang. Works great! Rarely goes off unless needed. When I first got my Stang, about 3:00am it went off - looked outside and there was a car parked about a foot from mine with gaukers (sp?). They immediately took off! Whew!
Old 5/9/05, 06:49 AM

I would like to know too how to set up the sensitivity. I think the alarm should go off when somebody try to open the door. Ours don`t.
(and no, there is no button under the steering wheel like it was mentioned in other Forums)

We live in Germany. My husband is American and works for the Army.
Because of that we can not choose the car-shop (our warranty runs with a german ford-dealer) we are a kind of left alone with this problem.

Can somebody help?
(Excuse my english, but i wrote this without help from my husband)
Old 5/11/05, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

I just picked up my car last night and I wanted to startle my sister as she tried to get in the car. I left the top down and windows down and just before she went up to the car I hit the lock button. I told her to reach in and pull the handle. The alarm should have gone off but it didn't. Later I had gone inside and my sister went out for a picture. I hear the alarm going off. I ask her what she did and she said she had opened the door just like before. So I look in the manual. There are 20 seconds between hitting the lock button and when it arms itself. Hope that helps.

On another note, I have read in the manual that if the doors aren't shut and you hit the lock button that the horn should chirp twice. Mine doesn't do that.

Anybody else have this issue?
Old 5/11/05, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AWmustang@May 11, 2005, 7:02 AM
I just picked up my car last night and I wanted to startle my sister as she tried to get in the car. I left the top down and windows down and just before she went up to the car I hit the lock button. I told her to reach in and pull the handle. The alarm should have gone off but it didn't. Later I had gone inside and my sister went out for a picture. I hear the alarm going off. I ask her what she did and she said she had opened the door just like before. So I look in the manual. There are 20 seconds between hitting the lock button and when it arms itself. Hope that helps.

On another note, I have read in the manual that if the doors aren't shut and you hit the lock button that the horn should chirp twice. Mine doesn't do that.

You have to hit the lock button twice and you will hear the car honk once and the alarm is set. Also, I have had it happen where if I hit it twice the horn does chirp twice when a door is open.

Also, as far as the sensitivity goes of the alarm system, I mistakenly set the alarm before jacking the car up to do some work. After about two pumps of the jack the alarm went off. That tells you that it will work if being towed.
Old 5/11/05, 08:24 AM

I know how to arm the system, but how do you change the setting
Old 5/12/05, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by I8URVTEC+May 11, 2005, 7:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(I8URVTEC @ May 11, 2005, 7:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-AWmustang@May 11, 2005, 7:02 AM

You have to hit the lock button twice and you will hear the car honk once and the alarm is set. Also, I have had it happen where if I hit it twice the horn does chirp twice when a door is open.

Also, as far as the sensitivity goes of the alarm system, I mistakenly set the alarm before jacking the car up to do some work. After about two pumps of the jack the alarm went off. That tells you that it will work if being towed.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for your help. I was only hitting the button once.
Old 5/12/05, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I was under impression (after reading the manual) that we only need to press the lock button once in order for the alarm to be armed. The chirp that sounds when the button is hit for the second time is simply a confirmation that the alarm is on. Is this incorrect?
Old 5/12/05, 08:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are Incorrect in your Incorrection. Sooo Correct.
Old 5/12/05, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by AvtoLubitel@May 12, 2005, 5:25 AM
I was under impression (after reading the manual) that we only need to press the lock button once in order for the alarm to be armed. The chirp that sounds when the button is hit for the second time is simply a confirmation that the alarm is on. Is this incorrect?
This is a question I have as well. So, is the alarm in the 'Alarm Mode' as soon as the doors are locked......even with one push of the key fob button to lock?
Old 5/12/05, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

There is a thread somewhere, detailing exactly how to change the sensitivity of the alarm. It was posted probably $+ months ago, when one person had a really low sensitivity on their alarms, and got the instructions from the dealership.
I tried digging it up, but could not find it.
If itis really important, you might want to start browsing the older threads to find it.
Old 5/12/05, 03:29 PM

You could always do a keyless upgrade alarm. It works with the active antitheft. You get a shock sensor siren & ignition kill and fuel pump shutoff. I think most car stereo stores can install these. I put one in mine & it works great.
Old 5/13/05, 08:02 AM

There currently is one sensitivity setting for the factory installed Active Anti Theft system. It is not designed to be a shock sensor, but is designed to help alert if somebody tries to enter or tow your vehicle.

Your owner's manual provides a rather detailed explanation of how the system works.

As with any feature on a high volume production vehicle, design must accommodate as many Mustang owners as possible.

Various aftermarket alarm systems, including the Ford dealer-installed systems offer an optional shock sensor which has a sensitivity adjustment. This may be a solution if you want that type of performance.