05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2009 gt sound system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/13, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 gt sound system upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my sound system from the shaker 500. My budget is around $1200. For head unit I'm looking at alpine cda-117 or kenwood excelon x996. I would like to replace the 2 door speakers and 2 rear speakers for now as well.

Will the stock door subwoofers work with an aftermarket HU? Will I be able to hook up the existing siriusxm to the aftermarket HU that is siriusxm ready?

Any suggestions for a good HU and speakers? (prefer single din) Also might get the shelby kicker subwoofer, would those work off the HU without an amp?

Do you think getting an amp is a good idea?
Old 3/1/13, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vandito
I'm looking to upgrade my sound system from the shaker 500. My budget is around $1200. For head unit I'm looking at alpine cda-117 or kenwood excelon x996. I would like to replace the 2 door speakers and 2 rear speakers for now as well.

Will the stock door subwoofers work with an aftermarket HU? Will I be able to hook up the existing siriusxm to the aftermarket HU that is siriusxm ready?

Any suggestions for a good HU and speakers? (prefer single din) Also might get the shelby kicker subwoofer, would those work off the HU without an amp?

Do you think getting an amp is a good idea?
Yes to all lol. As long as the HU say its XM compatable you should be fine. I'm partial to Pioneers but theres a lot of good HUs. What features are you looking for?

You can look at some other threads but all your speakers will work with an aftermarket HU. It will tie in to your stock amps from the 500 system.

The shelbys are ok, if your willing to fiddle theres better. They drop right in with a spacer so thats a plus if you want easy installation. They will work fine off the stock amps, but of course, will sound better on an aftermarket amp.

For the speakers it depends on what you want to do. If you're willing to do a little modification a good componet set up front will do wonders for sound. The back you can just replace with a decent 5x8 set.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 3/1/13 at 12:31 PM.
Old 3/1/13, 12:43 PM

Crutchfield says I need to buy a new sirius tuner with the head unit?(it is xm compatible). I'm looking for a HU with good sound quality, also xm, hd radio, usb.

Rather not do any modding if that is what a component system requires, just speakers.
jl-audio c2-570x looks nice anyone have these?
Old 3/2/13, 11:47 AM

Ordered the Alpine CDE-HD138BT since it had the features I was looking for: good sound, usb input, siriusxm ready, hd radio, plus blutooth and pandora. Also ordered 4 JL Audio C2-570x speakers, siriusxm SXV200v1 tuner since the factory sirius tuner doesn't work with aftermarket HU apparently, door panel clip removal tool, 4 speaker harnesses, 2 foam baffles, and a mastersheet from crutchfield.

No amp or subwoofers for now. Total cost about $510
Old 3/2/13, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ordered the Alpine CDE-HD138BT since it had the features I was looking for: good sound, usb input, siriusxm ready, hd radio, plus blutooth and pandora. Also ordered 4 JL Audio C2-570x speakers, siriusxm SXV200v1 tuner since the factory sirius tuner doesn't work with aftermarket HU apparently, door panel clip removal tool, 4 speaker harnesses, 2 foam baffles, and a mastersheet from crutchfield.

Did you not want an LCD screen? Pretty pricey for a unit with no screen imo. But it looks loaded with features so that's good. Should have a good sounding system with all that.
Old 3/2/13, 11:54 AM

Nah live in nyc don't want anything too flashy for thieves to look at.
Old 3/2/13, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nah live in nyc don't want anything too flashy for thieves to look at.
Yeah good point. You installing everything yourself?
Old 3/2/13, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by tu3218
Yeah good point. You installing everything yourself?
Yep.
Old 3/4/13, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats not a bad price for all that form crutchfield. Sucks about the xm tuner. Should be pretty happy with it, a new head unit and speakers makes a world of difference. You should find the door subwoofers really come alive with the new HU too.