05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2008 Mustang GT carputer install (warning: many pics)

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/08 | 11:59 AM

Xenarc LCD: $350
Accessories (Cheap amp, GPS, HD Radio, USB hubs, etc, etc..): ~$850 (+/- $100)
Random stuff (cables, wood, paint, etc..): ~$100
---
$1300

The computer wasn't factored in, because it was my old desktop PC.

If you're interested in doing something similar, just let me know and I can put together a shopping list of what you'll need.
Old 2/4/08 | 06:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
I had a Zalman 7700 on there (the flower-ish one) many years ago as a home PC - it too is oversized for the purpose of being quieter (but smaller than this thermaltake sonictower).. I tried to put that one on, but I have lost all the mounting gear . I might just move back to the stock heatsink/fan, or something that looks like the stock heatsink that's somewhat more efficient..

I'm almost positive I have some mounting hardware for the 7700 if you'd like it.
Old 2/4/08 | 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Infinity
I'm almost positive I have some mounting hardware for the 7700 if you'd like it.
Actually, that would be great. I just have to take a look at what I have and what I'm missing this weekend.. I'll let you know, thanks!
Old 2/8/08 | 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Xenarc LCD: $350
Accessories (Cheap amp, GPS, HD Radio, USB hubs, etc, etc..): ~$850 (+/- $100)
Random stuff (cables, wood, paint, etc..): ~$100
---
$1300

The computer wasn't factored in, because it was my old desktop PC.

If you're interested in doing something similar, just let me know and I can put together a shopping list of what you'll need.
So how much do you charge for a carputer kit?

Awesome job and something I would consider eventually. I like that you can monitor the car's stats, backup camera, GPS, etc all in one location.

Is the Road runner software customizable? I saw that you had the Mustang emblem in the center but I would want something else there.

Old 2/8/08 | 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MilStang
So how much do you charge for a carputer kit?

Awesome job and something I would consider eventually. I like that you can monitor the car's stats, backup camera, GPS, etc all in one location.

Is the Road runner software customizable? I saw that you had the Mustang emblem in the center but I would want something else there.

Haha, well, if you're willing to put down the money, there are easier solutions that don't involve any fabrication. (Pre-made carputer cases that look like amps, $150 for a double din mounting kit, etc.. or even a complete plug'n'play carputer that fits in the radio slot for $2-3k, called the G4)

Road runner is very customizable and skinnable and there is a large community that supports it. The default version came with a spinning Honda logo. Oh - and it's free/open-source.
Old 2/10/08 | 07:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Haha, well, if you're willing to put down the money, there are easier solutions that don't involve any fabrication. (Pre-made carputer cases that look like amps, $150 for a double din mounting kit, etc.. or even a complete plug'n'play carputer that fits in the radio slot for $2-3k, called the G4)

Road runner is very customizable and skinnable and there is a large community that supports it. The default version came with a spinning Honda logo. Oh - and it's free/open-source.

Very nice on the open-source software. I wouldn't say money is no object but it is worth it to me with as little time I spend at home as it is with the military. Plus I would want somewhat of a customized plexi cover to go with the theme of my car. I will have to search the internet a little more for some of the premade ones. Thanks for the help and the ideas!

I hope some of the other ones have the car monitoring ability like yours. That is one of the big draws to me.

Old 2/10/08 | 04:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MilStang
Very nice on the open-source software. I wouldn't say money is no object but it is worth it to me with as little time I spend at home as it is with the military. Plus I would want somewhat of a customized plexi cover to go with the theme of my car. I will have to search the internet a little more for some of the premade ones. Thanks for the help and the ideas!

I hope some of the other ones have the car monitoring ability like yours. That is one of the big draws to me.

www.mp3car.com
Old 2/11/08 | 04:17 AM

Yeah, mp3car.com is a great source for carputer stuff. There's alot of knowledgeable people on their forums and I even purchased alot of my stuff from their online store.
Old 2/11/08 | 03:22 PM

BTW, Update on the Xenarc:

In DIRECT sunlight, it is 100% unreadable. It's perfectly readable in INDIRECT sunlight, but if the sun happens to be at the right angle (at dusk/dawn) and shining directly onto the screen, I can't see anything. But then if I put my hand over it, it's very clearly readable in the shadow.

Just didn't have a moment of direct sunlight until today.

My understanding is that the transreflective coated Xenarc from mp3car will have somewhat better visibility in direct sunlight, but slightly diminished clarity/brightness in all other scenarios.
Old 2/11/08 | 06:19 PM
Cobra Member

Good to know. Since I have to take my LCD apart I'm going to try the 3M upgrades. 3M is local for me so hopefully they won't be too picky about sending samples.
Old 2/11/08 | 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Deric
Good to know. Since I have to take my LCD apart I'm going to try the 3M upgrades. 3M is local for me so hopefully they won't be too picky about sending samples.
So are you doing the transreflective upgrade yourself? Let me know how that goes and how much that ends up costing.. I'm definately interested in a transreflective option that doesn't cost $300. The way I understand it, the transreflective layer needs to go in between the back light and the LCD, right? I'm too much of a pansy to venture that way without some pics/documentation, so post pics when you do it!
Old 2/13/08 | 07:37 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Simply amazing. Great work.

The back-up camera in the key hole was pretty cool. It's practically useless anyway.
To help with the direct sunlight, how are the window tint laws in DC?
Old 2/13/08 | 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by StangNut
Simply amazing. Great work.

The back-up camera in the key hole was pretty cool. It's practically useless anyway.
To help with the direct sunlight, how are the window tint laws in DC?
Thanks,

I agree, the camera is 90% useless - it was only useful once when I caught my fallen over trash can in the screen, when I couldn't see it in my rear view or rear window. I put it in for novelty, but was pleasantly surprised when it was useful that one time.

Tint: 35% all around, maybe no laws for the rear window, I don't remember. But my tint guy convinced me into get 20% all around, because he stocked 20% and 35% (among others) but since factory windows are already 97-98% tinted, a 35% would read 32-33% on a light meter and be illegal anyway, so might as well get 20%. Been like that for almost half a year and I've never had any issues with the law yet. I have some minor trouble backing up in pitch darkness with no lights, but I'm hoping to remedy that with some brighter reverse lights or installing infared lights for the camera.
Old 2/14/08 | 10:59 AM

I wasn't slamming the camera. I think it would be VERY useful. I meant the keyhole was practically useless. Making that a great spot for the camera.
Old 2/14/08 | 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by StangNut
I wasn't slamming the camera. I think it would be VERY useful. I meant the keyhole was practically useless. Making that a great spot for the camera.
Ah yes, of course. In that case I admit that my 90% useless was inflated for sake of maintaining civility when I misread your comment, but realistically it is about 50% useless until I get an infrared backup spot light.. can't see anything at night. Thanks for the feedback and oops on reading your comment wrong - I'd insert a "looking at ground, kicking dirt sheepishly" icon here if we had one. <insert icon here>
Old 2/14/08 | 11:44 AM
I Have No Life

Very nice. I have been considering doing something similar using a mac mini.
Old 2/14/08 | 05:30 PM
Cobra Member

So are you doing the transreflective upgrade yourself? Let me know how that goes and how much that ends up costing.. I'm definately interested in a transreflective option that doesn't cost $300. The way I understand it, the transreflective layer needs to go in between the back light and the LCD, right? I'm too much of a pansy to venture that way without some pics/documentation, so post pics when you do it!
I'll do a complete writeup when I do the upgrade but look at the 3M updates thread on Mp3car to see what I am talking about.
Old 2/14/08 | 08:49 PM

An infared spot light? Now THAT'S cool!
(and believe it or not, I'm like 05GT-O.C.D... It's not my thing, but with all that introcate work and the oustanding, professional, OEM looking results, anyone would be impressed)
Old 2/15/08 | 08:01 AM
V6 Member

ARTiGO Pico-ITX

Check out this: http://mini-itx.com/76340700

Should be easy to drop this in the area where the stock radio goes.
Old 2/15/08 | 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

I was looking at the pico but was hoping intel would make something in the nano-itx form factor. The pico is super small though

Quick Reply: 2008 Mustang GT carputer install (warning: many pics)