05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2005-2009 S-197 Mustang Backup camera wiring help Pdf's

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/20, 07:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005-2009 S-197 Mustang Backup camera wiring help Pdf's

Updated title For Better Searchability

Kc Admin 01/07/2024

So I recently upgraded to a new head unit for my 07. This weekend I finally installed the backup camera that I've been wanting to put in it.

The camera itself has a power cable with a positive and negative wire, and an rca cable with a red wire on each rca input. The head unit has a separate wire that says "reverse input" so that it senses that the car is in reverse with the camera and red wire coming off of the rca cable.

I first wired it to where I could manually turn it on. Which consisted of having one end of the rca red wire tied into the red positive wire from the radio harness, and the other end of the rca red wire going to the camera power wire. Am I making sense?

I decided I wanted to do it right and have the camera turn on automatically when I go into reverse. So to do that I wired the red wire from one end of the rca to the reverse wire on the head unit. Then i tied the other end of the rca red wire to the red wire from the camera power and tied those 2 wires into the reverse light, which is a yellow and white wire on the vehicle in the trunk..

At first the reverse light was staying on, even while in park. Now the camera won't come on at all. Nothing. I grounded properly. I wired it like all the videos said on YouTube. To splice in to the reverse wire i used t tap connectors.

The head unit is a BOSS.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the lo g post.

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/7/24 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11/22/20, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
You should probably contact BOSS or get on their website regarding proper wiring on that head unit. It may be the head unit's messed up, or you've gotten the wiring wrong. And the T-Taps can and do get loose, they're not my favorite. You can use the wrong size and get these issues. Best to bite the bullet and just solder-splice it in properly, ya ask me.

But otherwise, if you've followed all the instructions that come with the camera and the head unit (and NOT some Youtube dude putting stuff in his car, the REAL DEAL instructions) then it should ostensibly be working. You'll just have to trace each and every connection, test with a multimeter, all that stuff.

Wiring is SO fun.

Good luck, hope that does help in some way, probably not the answer you wanted though...
Old 11/22/20, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
You should probably contact BOSS or get on their website regarding proper wiring on that head unit. It may be the head unit's messed up, or you've gotten the wiring wrong. And the T-Taps can and do get loose, they're not my favorite. You can use the wrong size and get these issues. Best to bite the bullet and just solder-splice it in properly, ya ask me.

But otherwise, if you've followed all the instructions that come with the camera and the head unit (and NOT some Youtube dude putting stuff in his car, the REAL DEAL instructions) then it should ostensibly be working. You'll just have to trace each and every connection, test with a multimeter, all that stuff.

Wiring is SO fun.

Good luck, hope that does help in some way, probably not the answer you wanted though...
I watched RytheCarGuy and he was putting one in his 06 gt. I'm sure I didn't blow a fuse, everything else in the car works.

I'll keep digging and see what I can do. If I have to ill take it to a shop that does installs lol. Thanks for the advice 😀
Old 11/23/20, 08:48 AM
V6 Member

I figured I'd let everyone know, I fixed the issue and the camera is coming on when I go into reverse as it should be.

I forgot to plug the camera input back into the radio 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Old 11/24/20, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
See? Wiring! FUN!
The following users liked this post:
kryptonTJM (11/26/20)
Old 11/25/20, 12:57 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Great news glad it worked out for you!
The following users liked this post:
kryptonTJM (11/26/20)
Old 1/4/24, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kryptonTJM
So I recently upgraded to a new head unit for my 07. This weekend I finally installed the backup camera that I've been wanting to put in it.

The camera itself has a power cable with a positive and negative wire, and an rca cable with a red wire on each rca input. The head unit has a separate wire that says "reverse input" so that it senses that the car is in reverse with the camera and red wire coming off of the rca cable.

I first wired it to where I could manually turn it on. Which consisted of having one end of the rca red wire tied into the red positive wire from the radio harness, and the other end of the rca red wire going to the camera power wire. Am I making sense?

I decided I wanted to do it right and have the camera turn on automatically when I go into reverse. So to do that I wired the red wire from one end of the rca to the reverse wire on the head unit. Then i tied the other end of the rca red wire to the red wire from the camera power and tied those 2 wires into the reverse light, which is a yellow and white wire on the vehicle in the trunk..

At first the reverse light was staying on, even while in park. Now the camera won't come on at all. Nothing. I grounded properly. I wired it like all the videos said on YouTube. To splice in to the reverse wire i used t tap connectors.

The head unit is a BOSS.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the lo g post.
did your head unit by chance have a purple and white wire that says reverse input and if so where did you connect it? i have a boss bvcp9700a head unit and cannot get my reverse camera to turn automatically ive read that i need to connect the purple/white wire coming from the head unit to a reverse light power wire but I don't know how to locate that wire

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/4/24 at 10:32 PM.
Old 1/4/24, 10:33 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,334 Posts
@kryptonTJM

He Has Not Been In For Quite Bit So I Did A Page For You!

We Shall See!

Kc

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/4/24 at 10:51 PM.
Old 1/4/24, 10:54 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Check PDF'S For 2007 Model year!

Looks Like You Can Tap into Wire Connected to Pin 13 or 26 For Power Supply~

Note Those Connectors are on Backside of Sjb I Believe!

Not My Area of Expertise Just Providing Info That May Help!

Kc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2007 Reverse Lamp 1.pdf (140.3 KB, 110 views)
Sjb.pdf (343.1 KB, 85 views)
SjbConnector.pdf (195.3 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/4/24 at 10:57 PM.
Old 3/5/24, 06:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the link.