05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

X-Pel question

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/05, 12:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:scratch: Anyone with long term experience (3+ years) on the 3M clear material used in the X-Pel kits? http://www.autoclearguard.com./
B) I decided to get the entire kit done (door handles, front bumpers, hood, headlights. fog lamp, front turn signals and rocker panels) next weekend. Spoke to a guy who had a kit for about a year and it looked great on his Porsche, no road nicks, scratches and not noticeable from over 3 feet away. Local shop will be doing the work
Old 1/16/05, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmmm, very interesting! I am curious too. 3M is a trusted name for sure...
Old 1/17/05, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) They are telling me it is good for at least 5-6 years outside in SoCal. Treat it just like the paint. Keep washed; Clay Bar and Wax every 9-12 months. Even OK to run through a car wash between detail jobs. Only difference is they recommend not to use a buffing wheel when detailing.
Orbital buffer I guess is OK but they told me you have to be careful and not get the film hot as this will take off the clear coat; which is not as heavy as on the painted portion.
They had a new Sonic Blue Color Z just completed. I couldn't see any visual difference over 3-4 feet away. Even up close the shine was similiar and the only thing you're able to see was a small line where the film ends; had to look for it though. Recommended to use a Q-tip along the film line after waxing removing the wax build-up or else the line will be pronounced.
:notnice: Got a Bra on my truck; but not for the GT, also figured it's better than possibly re-painting the front end after 4-5 years @ $1,500.
Old 1/19/05, 12:44 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 3M product works great but I am torn here. I personally do not like the way the kit looks as when you get about 6 feet from the car you can tell it is on there. One heck of an edge (8mil). Not the nicest thing to look at if you enter car shows, but then again, it does look better than a bunch or paint chips.
Old 1/27/05, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) Got the X-Pel hood, front bumper, headlights & fog lights ($715) done this past Saturday on the wife’s GT. We elected to not have the door handle pods done.

I can’t show any photos because it’s clear and doesn’t really show anything. Only thing I was able to get was an angle shot which shows the small reveal not worth posting. Photos on X-Pel’s web sight in post above give a better idea of what it looks like.

They did a great job in just a few hours. I really like the "non" look, it's invisible on the bumper and lights; only a small reveal line across the hood which disappears at 3-4 feet. There is nothing you can see on the bumper or lights. Going back in 2 weeks to have the side rocker and wheel panel done ($240).

Had it done by:
Modern Image
8656 Production Ave
San Diego CA
858-583-4432

Gotta tell ya, they had just finished a custome flamed black 50 Merc that get's shown; weekend light drives and not a trailer queen. It also was not noticeable on the black 3-4 feet away. Same for a grey V-10, blown Dodge Ram they were completing. However, they also had a Sonic blue color Nissan Z; it did show a more of a slight hood reveal line at up to about 5 feet away.

You have to realize though, the reveal lines are there only if you're looking for them and not really noticeable. Not cheap but better than a lot of nicks and dings which would need to be painted every couple of years at about $2000 a pop