05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Wheel questions.

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/08, 07:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Wheel questions.

Ok, Sorry for my ignorance and my search-fu weakness, and my further impatience causing me to abort searching...

Now then. The stock wheels on my GT are the gray Bullitts, 17" x 8"? Is that right?

Well, my question really isn't about that. It's more that I keep hearing "deep dish" wheels, which I understand what that means. If I were to get a set of 17" deep dish Bullitts (in this case, Black) what does that do to the tires? (yes, 17" is all I want. I like the bigger sidewalls. Sorry if this rubs ya wrong. )

What I mean is, does it increase the width of the wheel, so a wider aspect tire is a good thing to do? Does it change the... uh, 'overhang' of the fenders? (I suppose that'd be 'underhang' of the tires/wheels, but you get what I mean, I hope.)

Would I need spacers or something to make it work right?

I think I'd like the deeper lip than the standard stock, but don't wanna have those tires poking out or rubbing. Spacers, while I understand them... I don't care to mess with.

Thanks in advance to the most awesome forumites!
Old 8/26/08, 08:09 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, if you go deep dish you would be going with a 17x9 or 17x10 (most likely either of those) rim. Therefore the tire would be wider. The sidewall however may not be bigger depending on what you choose to go with. Depending on what the offset is of the rim will determine if the tire sticks out from the side of the car, lines up with the fender, or just barely tucks into the wheelwell. So if you go with the right offset you would not need spacers or worry about rubbing. For example. My rear tires are 285/40/R18 mounted on 18x10 with a 45mm offset. No rubbing, they do not stick out and I think they look great.
Old 8/28/08, 11:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
17 wheels

The problem your going to run into in a 17 is a lack of tire sizes with the wider rims and maintain the diameter you have now. BFG gforce KDWS in 255 50 17 is it. You surely dont want a shorter heighth and not fill out your wheel well.
Old 8/29/08, 11:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ok... So... to sum up...

1) Deep dish = +1 or more extra inch width rim. 17x9 or 17x10 vs OEM 17x8 inch. Which means that the reality is I should really get a wider tire to accomodate the extra 1 or 2 inches... which leads to...

2) 17s are not very popular, I take it, so different sizes from 235s are harder to find. Although, just to note, I also found Kumho Ecsta ASX 255/50R17s... but I dunno if they're any good. Ratings looked good... Just saying in case it helps. But the idea's the same... 17's aren't so great to "play" with... so 18" rims might be a better deal to go with to get that extra width. Got it.

Adrenaline, did you have to put in those steering stops I read about? No spacers, I get the idea of the offset, but I've read in a few places about adding stops if you go with the 18s.

Somehow, I'm thinking even the 255/50R17s wouldn't be wide enough with the 17x9 rim... And therefore the 235/xxR18s are also gonna be a problem, eh? So the 255 is the way to go, is what's being said, no matter which size 17 or 18.

Awrighty, I think I got it. Thanks for the infos!