05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Wheel Offset Question

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/06 | 07:13 PM
Closet American

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but for the experts here, does anyone know if you can adjust the wheel offset on the Ford 18" fanblades so that they sit out a bit more and are closer to being flush with the wheel arches. I remember when the early production GTs were making the showcar circuit the wheels were almost flush with the wheel arches. The cars you buy in the dealership are more recessed.

Any ideas on this...? Thanks...
Old 3/11/06 | 08:02 PM
Cobra Member

Spacers would be the only way without some VERY expensive machining.
Old 3/11/06 | 08:09 PM
Closet American

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Infinity @ March 11, 2006, 7:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Spacers would be the only way without some VERY expensive machining.
[/b][/quote]
Thanks for the tip. Not quite sure what and how spacers work, though. Are they a 100% effective and reliable solution, and are there any other drawbacks to using them? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/12/06 | 05:18 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ March 11, 2006, 10:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for the tip. Not quite sure what and how spacers work, though. Are they a 100% effective and reliable solution, and are there any other drawbacks to using them? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
The Eibach one inch spacers work perfectly. I have had mine installed, without issue, for the last 15K miles.
Old 3/13/06 | 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ March 12, 2006, 4:12 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Here's a pic of some 1 inchers I sold a few weeks ago.
Old 3/13/06 | 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ March 11, 2006, 10:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Not quite sure what and how spacers work, though.
[/b][/quote]

Spacers are placed between the the wheel, and the wheel mounting surface, which in the case of the mustang, is the hat of the rotor. They essentially push the wheel further out from the mounting surface.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> Are they a 100% effective and reliable solution, and are there any other drawbacks to using them? [/b][/quote]

It is a very effective solution. They are reliable as long as you torque them down to the called out ft-lbs, and I would recommend using blue locktite on them as well. I would double check the torque on them every once in a while, and other than that, no real drawbacks.

Not a Mustang, but this shows what the spacer does.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/spi...acers/index.asp

Also, get machined aluminum, not a cast piece.
Old 3/13/06 | 05:14 PM
Closet American

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the help. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

If I go with the GT, I just want to be able to duplicate the look of the early '05 production cars that made the show circuit - and in the below shots, you can see clearly that the fanblades are being used, but that they are pushed out further towards the wheel arches (and of course the car has been lowered somewhat too). These also have the 255 tires on them.

Anyway, this is the look I'm after (pity I can't find out from Ford precisely how they set it up)...

Old 3/13/06 | 05:17 PM
I Have Admin Envy

unfortunatley they went with a narrower wheel than what was used on the showcars. A wheel spacer should help as was described above
Old 3/13/06 | 08:07 PM
Closet American

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ March 13, 2006, 4:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
unfortunatley they went with a narrower wheel than what was used on the showcars. A wheel spacer should help as was described above
[/b][/quote]
Ahhh, thanks Galaxie. I wondered what had happened there. That explains it. I do wish Ford would stop doing that sort of thing. When they show a "production" car, it should be a production car - no "dumbing down" stuff like that. It's one thing I find Ford does very poorly - ride height, wheel size and wheel offset. They KNOW what looks good, otherwise they wouldn't put it on the show cars. Sadly, by the time it gets to the consumer, it gets watered down.

I do think the 255 tires, some lowering, and that spacer will create a more aggressive, better looking effect, overall.

Unless, of course, someone else makes the fanblade wheel in a wider size...
Old 3/13/06 | 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Unless, of course, someone else makes the fanblade wheel in a wider size...[/b][/quote]

o god please [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_exclaim.gif[/img]
Old 6/10/07 | 12:47 AM
Bullitt Member

They are 18"x8.5" so a 255 tires should fit with no problems.
Old 6/10/07 | 09:13 AM
V6 Member

DO you guys know where I can buy a wheel spacer? i have fnablade too.
The 255 is that the height/thickness of the wheel or the width?
Old 6/10/07 | 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangpogi
DO you guys know where I can buy a wheel spacer? i have fnablade too.
The 255 is that the height/thickness of the wheel or the width?
255 is the width of the tire.

I have not checked my car to see how much the wheels need to be moved but if you go more than a ½” I strongly recommend a wheel adaptor to move the wheels further out.

Something like this http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada.../5450-5450.htm would be a good place to start.

Rob
Old 6/10/07 | 10:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Twisted
255 is the width of the tire.

I have not checked my car to see how much the wheels need to be moved but if you go more than a ½” I strongly recommend a wheel adaptor to move the wheels further out.

Something like this http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada.../5450-5450.htm would be a good place to start.

Rob
I was thinking of doing the rear, how many inch of adapter did you buy? Is 1 inch enough to move the wheels further out?
Old 6/11/07 | 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangpogi
I was thinking of doing the rear, how many inch of adapter did you buy? Is 1 inch enough to move the wheels further out?
I went with the 1", they should be here by Thursday so I can post pictures for you.

Rob