05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Wheel Center Caps for Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 3/12/08, 08:08 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Wheel Center Caps for Bullitt

I would like to replace my pony tribar center caps on my Bullitt when it comes in this week. Apparently from what I have seen on ebay the stock ones have an outside diameter of 2 5/8 in and an inside diameter of 2 1/4 in. It is my understanding that in most cases when purchasing a replacement cap that I better go with the same manufacturer of the center caps as the wheels since the wheel center holes can vary in size by manufacturer and otherwise they may not fit. (I have been looking at an American Muscle plain center cap but it has only 2 1/2 in outside diameter and would therefore leave a 1/16 in gap) If so it appears that I will be limited to the OEM 05-08 Ford Mustang center caps. Does anyone know of a company that makes a plain aluminum center cap that will fit the 08 Ford Bullitt wheel? Or is there a company that will custom make either a center cap with the Bullitt lettering on it or a silkscreen with the Bullitt logo for use on one of the OEM Ford center caps?
Old 3/12/08, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure, but wasn't there a member over at www.imboc.com that was looking into fabricating a "Bullitt-logoed" center cap for the new 2008's? Apparently it was done for the 2001's, so it's not impossible to do. A good sign shop could come up with something too.
Old 3/12/08, 06:16 PM
GT Member

I do have a thread posted at IMBOC. But I was really hoping to find a plain center cap that would fit the Bullitt /Mustang GT wheel. So far, since I have not found any that will fit, it looks like I will just go with the Ford silver and blue oval center cap - just because it fits and it is the most plain center cap IMO that Ford makes.
Old 3/12/08, 06:37 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Just in case you did not see my post. These are the center caps I settled for:

Wheel Center Caps for Bullitt-hpim0076.jpg

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 3/12/08 at 06:47 PM.
Old 3/12/08, 07:52 PM
GT Member

George

Those are the same center caps I'm looking at ordering. And I see that you have the GT 500 flaps. I already have those ordered for the rear and the front from parts and they are ready for the dealer to install when my Bullitt comes in.

Al
Old 3/12/08, 09:20 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Here is the parts' info:

QTY. DESCRIPTION

(4) 4R3Z 1130 BA : COVER - WHEEL
Old 3/13/08, 08:54 AM
GT Member

George

Thanks for the center cap info - I just ordered them. I am having the dealer install both the splash guards and caps on the car when it comes in so I am anxious to see how they look.

Al
Old 3/13/08, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Rear Flap fit?

Sure hope that I am wrong on this , but believe that those factory rear flaps will only fit correctly on the GT-500's, the GT/CS's and the 2008 Shelby-GT's with the lower rear defusers?
Old 3/17/08, 06:48 AM
GT Member

RC

You are correct in that they were made for the rear of the GT500. Some minor mods will be necessary - flaps aligned so only textured section is visible, new holes made in flaps to line up, and hole in front wheel liner made.

Al
Old 3/17/08, 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

Its possible to make the GT500 flaps fit with only a single hole cut in the flaps. II took mine (I had originally purchased them for my 05 which I had fitted with GT/CS bumper covers) and used them to make a template. I used the template to determine the location for the new mounting hole.

The flaps now fit basically like they would if I had a GT500/GT-CS rear bumper cover on. If you look in the wheel well you can see that the flaps were modified. If you look from the outside, however, it looks like they were made for this car.
Old 3/17/08, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Martimus

Did you install on both the front and rear? And was the single hole for the middle or top of the flap? I understand that to install on the front that I will also have to make a single hole in the plastic wheel liner for the top of the flap.

Al
Old 3/17/08, 10:37 AM
Cobra R Member

A quick question;

If a Bullitt is a GT, then it would have the GT lower rocker panel extension and not requite front flaps? Am I wrong on this?
Old 3/17/08, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Speeding Bullitt
Martimus

Did you install on both the front and rear? And was the single hole for the middle or top of the flap? I understand that to install on the front that I will also have to make a single hole in the plastic wheel liner for the top of the flap.

Al
Just the rear... the single hole I drilled was in the middle of the flap. When I lined it up the top hole matched up without issue.
Old 3/18/08, 06:45 PM
GT Member

Martimus

I am wondering where you drilled the middle mounting hole for the middle of the rear flap. Was it in the plastic wheel well liner (using a plug) or on the metal wheel well lip (using a screw)? And does there need to be a middle mount at all (it appears that the flap may hold with just top and bottom mounts)? Also, did you have to drill a different hole on the top of the mud flap to make it better align with the stock hole on the metal wheel well lip - to not have the smooth portion (and the little square hole) of the mud flap exposed? And last question, did you have to trim off any of the inside portion of the mudflap?

Thanks.

Al
Old 3/18/08, 06:52 PM
Cobra Member

Martimus

I am wondering where you drilled the middle mounting hole for the middle of the rear flap. Was it in the plastic wheel well liner (using a plug) or on the metal wheel well lip (using a screw)? And does there need to be a middle mount at all (it appears that the flap may hold with just top and bottom mounts)? Also, did you have to drill a different hole on the top of the mud flap to make it better align with the stock hole on the metal wheel well lip - to not have the smooth portion (and the little square hole) of the mud flap exposed? And last question, did you have to trim off any of the inside portion of the mudflap?

Thanks.

Al
Neither... the hole I drilled was in the GT500 flap itself. It was basically less than an inch from the existing second (middle) hole on the flap. By drilling a hole here I was able to fit the flap onto the car in such a way that the little ridge on the rear facing side of the flap was, for the most part, aligned with the sheet metal from the car.

I probably should have trimmed off part of the inside portion of the flap but opted to leave it as is. Given that the stock tires on my Bullitt are wide enough to obscure most of the GT500 flap I figured it just wasn't worth pulling out my trusty dremel tool and cutting up the flap.
Old 3/18/08, 08:00 PM
GT Member

Martimus

Sorry, I am confused! The front fender well has two existing screws about 7 1/2 in apart - which I understand that you used as the mounting holes for the existing holes on the top and bottom of the flaps. Since you drilled a new hole in the middle of the flap about an inch from the existing hole (which would be the square hole for the GT 500 clip?), where in the fender well did you drill the mounting hole for this middle flap hole (a mounting hole has to be drilled somewhere if you are going to use the hole in the middle of the flap that you drilled)? And would it be necessary to use a middle hole at all for mounting the flaps since they don't weigh much and they already have the top and bottom mounts? Thanks.

Al
Old 3/18/08, 11:15 PM

I would like to replace my pony tribar center caps on my Bullitt when it comes in this week. Apparently from what I have seen on ebay the stock ones have an outside diameter of 2 5/8 in and an inside diameter of 2 1/4 in. It is my understanding that in most cases when purchasing a replacement cap that I better go with the same manufacturer of the center caps as the wheels since the wheel center holes can vary in size by manufacturer and otherwise they may not fit. (I have been looking at an American Muscle plain center cap but it has only 2 1/2 in outside diameter and would therefore leave a 1/16 in gap) If so it appears that I will be limited to the OEM 05-08 Ford Mustang center caps. Does anyone know of a company that makes a plain aluminum center cap that will fit the 08 Ford Bullitt wheel? Or is there a company that will custom make either a center cap with the Bullitt lettering on it or a silkscreen with the Bullitt logo for use on one of the OEM Ford center caps?

I talked to a local graphics design place today and they can duplicate the Bullitt steering wheel logo in a size that will fit the wheel center caps. Does anyone know if the existing pony emblem can be removed. The decal they produce is actually a chrome vinyl that can is printed over in black. The ink is permenant and will not fade or run. Cost was $5 per wheel. The can also asdd a gel epoxy coat similar to the Ford emblems for an unknown price.
Old 3/19/08, 12:02 AM
Cobra Member

Martimus

Sorry, I am confused! The front fender well has two existing screws about 7 1/2 in apart - which I understand that you used as the mounting holes for the existing holes on the top and bottom of the flaps. Since you drilled a new hole in the middle of the flap about an inch from the existing hole (which would be the square hole for the GT 500 clip?), where in the fender well did you drill the mounting hole for this middle flap hole (a mounting hole has to be drilled somewhere if you are going to use the hole in the middle of the flap that you drilled)? And would it be necessary to use a middle hole at all for mounting the flaps since they don't weigh much and they already have the top and bottom mounts? Thanks.

Al
Ok... now I'm confused. Why are we talking about the FRONT fender well when I said previously that these were installed in the REAR?

I just went out and took some late night pictures of my poor dirty Mustang (I'd have washed the car before taking the pictures but its 11pm and I've been rather busy since 6am this morning). Here's a pic of the template I created for reference:

The line you see on the template approximates the small ridge on the outside surface of the GT500 flaps. This ridge is supposed to sit against the edge of the fender.

And here's a pic (from the rear) of the installed GT500 flap on the passenger side of my car:

If you notice you cannot see the rectangular opening in the flap or the metal clasp.

And here's a pic of the same flap from the engine side of the rear wheel well:

The last pic gives the illusion that the top of the flap is pulling away just slightly from the car. It isn't! Its just an illusion thanks to my flash. Though the installation is far from perfect its close enough for me...

Last edited by Martimus; 3/19/08 at 12:06 AM.
Old 3/19/08, 06:58 AM
GT Member

Martimus

Sorry for the confusion - I meant to say "rear" fender well (although I am going to attempt to also install these on the front). I now see what you did and they do look good. I especially like the idea of using a template to get it right. Thanks for the great pictures. I only wish that I had my Bullitt in my garage - clean or dirty - especially since it was supposed be be delivered last week. Thanks for all your help.

Al