05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Well I finally gained the confidence to do it...

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/10 | 08:42 PM
GT Member

Well I finally gained the confidence to do it...

I finally picked up some VHT Nite Shades and tinted my taillights. What you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Well I finally gained the confidence to do it...-dsc00708.jpg   Well I finally gained the confidence to do it...-dsc00709.jpg   Well I finally gained the confidence to do it...-dsc00710.jpg  
Old 6/7/10 | 08:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks great Taylor!! I originally wanted to get tinted tails, but read some reviews and they talked about getting pulled over for brake light obstruction. So that's out of the question.
Old 6/7/10 | 08:50 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Looks good. Did you clear them at all? I would have personally put a few coats on the back-up section as well, but that's just me. I'd also ask if its going to be an issue with the police in Florida, but by the looks of your license plate, it won't.
Old 6/9/10 | 04:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
Looks good. Did you clear them at all? I would have personally put a few coats on the back-up section as well, but that's just me. I'd also ask if its going to be an issue with the police in Florida, but by the looks of your license plate, it won't.
Yeah i put a few coats of clear on them. I wet sanded and all that fun stuff. I didn't keep puttin clear on them though because I kinda liked the semi-gloss/semi-matte finish on them. But yeah I thought about covering the back-up lights, but decided against it cause I can hardly see out of my tinted windows at night as it is, so I need the extra light. The next step is to do the third brake light and side markers.

On the subject of the law...I looked up the Georgia law(my car is registered in FL with my parents residence) and all it says is that the lights need to have reflective properties, be seen from 500 feet away during the day and brake lights be seen from 300 feet away at night. But I do have a blue-bar sticker (family of law enforcement) so hopefully that will keep them away. ha
Old 6/9/10 | 07:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

sorry, but i can't see the point in diminishing the brightness of the lights. Safety and looks take a hit. But I am not a fan of tinted lights in any form.
Old 6/9/10 | 07:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MustangGuy
sorry, but i can't see the point in diminishing the brightness of the lights. Safety and looks take a hit. But I am not a fan of tinted lights in any form.
For safety.....The light shines through almost just as well with none. You can't tell there's anything on the light. As for looks.....I have a theme for my car and blacked out taillights added to it. My fact and opinion though....
Old 6/10/10 | 12:45 AM

I would not say they're even remotely as transparent as stockers. I've used VHT on the gf's GT -- 3 layers -- and they're so dark I refuse to do her 3rd brake light. Same with some other cars I've done.

But I do like blacked out tails. Well done.
Old 6/10/10 | 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Love the look!
Old 6/10/10 | 12:00 PM

Not a bad look but funtionally stupid. Form follows function. Never seen tinted lenses that didn't reduce light output. But that's just me.
Old 6/10/10 | 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

I've seen fully blacked out tail lamps and the light output is not bad at all.
Old 6/10/10 | 06:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rasmus
I would not say they're even remotely as transparent as stockers. I've used VHT on the gf's GT -- 3 layers -- and they're so dark I refuse to do her 3rd brake light. Same with some other cars I've done.

But I do like blacked out tails. Well done.
You must have done some dark coats. You can still see red behind mine. I was smart about it and didn't COMPLETELY black them out. But thanks all the same/

Originally Posted by rony1976
Love the look!
Thanks man. I'm going to take a picture tonight and post it to show the transparency. They're very visible.
Old 6/10/10 | 07:34 PM
GT Member

I think the pictures speak for themselves.....
Attached Thumbnails Well I finally gained the confidence to do it...-dsc00818.jpg   Well I finally gained the confidence to do it...-dsc00819.jpg  
Old 6/11/10 | 10:14 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

In Texas you need to have red reflection in your tail lights, so I just threw on some smoked vinyl and called it a day. I used VHT for my previous car and it came out well, though I didn't clear it. One thing first-time Nightshade users don't realize is it WILL darken up as it dries.

Send me one of those blue line stickers! I've been trying to get one for a while.
Old 6/11/10 | 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangGuy
If they are blind enough not to see a whole complete car going down the road how do you expect them to see lights?
Old 6/11/10 | 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TGREY V6
I finally picked up some VHT Nite Shades and tinted my taillights. What you guys think?
Looks great.

I put about 5 layers of clear on mine and color sanded and buffed.

Old 6/11/10 | 03:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Wades GT
Looks great.

I put about 5 layers of clear on mine and color sanded and buffed.

Thanks! Yours look **** good. I wish I had the time and skills to make a finish that looks as good as yours.

I also need a new blackout panel. Mine is kinda dull and faded and doesnt fit right. Where di you get yours??
Old 6/11/10 | 10:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I got my blackout from ....................
http://www.americanmuscle.com/blacko...l-install.html
The tailight bezels..........................
http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05taillight_trim.htm
Old 6/12/10 | 12:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TGREY V6
Thanks! Yours look **** good. I wish I had the time and skills to make a finish that looks as good as yours.

I also need a new blackout panel. Mine is kinda dull and faded and doesnt fit right. Where di you get yours??
Your paint came out cloudy because you tried to spray the whole light in one coat. When you do it that way you have less controll on the spray and you will end up with a cloudy coat. When you sprayed the scond coat you trapped the 1st cloudy coat with your 2nd cloudy layer.

If you spray in a sweeping motion you will have more controll of you spray. I like to make 2inch sweeping paths.

Make sure each sweep is smooth and clear. If you apply the vht smoothly and clearly you lights will be brighter. Once you have swept the complete light let the light dry. If you want the light darker sweep the whole light again but be careful vht can get dark real fast. Spray the clear on the same way as the vht by using the sweeping motion. 3 coats of clear minimum I like 5 layers. That way you can color sand the light until all the blemishes are gone and the light is completely smooth. Now buff the light using plenty of buffing solution and make sure the light doesn't get hot while buffing or the lens will warp. Hope that helps you.
Old 6/12/10 | 12:50 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Wade, your tails looks awesome!
Old 6/12/10 | 06:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Wades GT
If they are blind enough not to see a whole complete car going down the road how do you expect them to see lights?
With your logic, why have lights at all? The car may be in front of you. But you are right, who needs lights. That's what bumpers are for.

Quick Reply: Well I finally gained the confidence to do it...