05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Trufiber Venom vs Venom II?

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/10, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trufiber Venom vs Venom II?

I was looking into buying a KR type hood for my '09 Vert. I'm about to do the GT500 front end conversion and would like to get the hood shipped out soon. I was looking at both Trufiber's Venom Hood (Recessed) and the Venom Hood II (Recessed). Unfortunately I have no clear indication as to what makes these hoods different from each other. They look exactly the same.

Could anybody describe the differences or perhaps give me some further advice on my hood selection? Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from everybody.
Old 4/29/10, 01:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I think one of them ISN"T recessed! My opinion is the SS style hood looks way meaner and more aggressive!
It is the one i wanted to go with but because many people said that they would cost 1500 I went ahead with the racecar factory and a few months later BAM! There you have it right smack in my face a nice cheap SuperSnake hood for 750!
Not to mention that the fu*c*Ker who sold me the hood sent it to me in very bad shape and paid $400 dollars on top of the 850 paid to make it look decent. That GhettoBooty ex TMS member guy wherever you are man may you rest in HELL!

Last edited by anteyeiabazele; 4/29/10 at 01:41 AM.
Old 4/29/10, 08:43 AM

The Venom Hood and the Venom Hood II both come in variations. You can get either recessed or not so that can't be the difference.

But where the H3ll did you find a Super Snake Hood for around $750.00? Every where I look it's at least $1,300 since you have to buy the hood and then the hood louvers seperately. Not to mention you have to buy an open element intake for it to fit which is illegal everywhere. So the SS does look bada$$ but the cost just keeps on rising.
Old 4/29/10, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I understand your confusion...I have a trufiber venom hood and after going to the site, I'm a bit confused. Send an email asking clairification or call phil directly (I have the number, I'll just need to dig it up).

I'm thinking its likely just a mess up on the site, though there are a few possible differences. It may be simply different twist hood pins that sell with the hood. There are at least two different types that I know of. Hood wise, there are recessed and non-recessed, and I know from another former trufiber hood GT owner his air flow design on the underside of the hood was different than mine is so that might be yet another 'difference'. But that might have just been based on evolution as he bought his much earlier than I managed to (he didnt have an option for recessed hood pins). Obviously, both you listed are for GT's with gt500 front ends or actual GT500's. Also, it might be just the difference in one primered and one not. I got a primered one and after talking to my painter and him getting to work on it....getting a preprimered one was a 'bit' of a waste. He said (at least on mine which was the first one he'd ever dealt with) the primer was bad especially around where the 'vents' were. It would just fall off by touch...so obviously he had to sand my entire hood down and reprimer the entire thing.

Here is what the recessed pin area looks like prior to paint:

Like ante says....its all 'opinions' as to whats 'better' or what you might like. I saw the SS hoods (they also sell them directly from shelby as an fyi), but I disagree and think the KR hood style looks way better, and more agressive. The two bits of advice I strongly advise (SS hood or KR style) is find a painter that can deal with fiberglass hoods that might need some work (and have the money to back up his additional labor). These hoods arent perfect. They will usually require some finess to get them 'right', have no doubts. Some of us have been more than fortunate to get hoods that were in really good shape from the start that only needed minor touchups. Some got hoods that needed MAJOR work and in the end, they paid a ton of money for them to be 'fixed' and ended up swearing never to purchase a TruFiber EVER again. So be aware of that as well. Consider me in the former camp, but I wont discount the ones who ended up in the latter. They felt screwed and I'm not about to dismiss their experiences with the hoods as irrelevant. The second bit of advice is to inspect the living hell out of the hood upon arrival from UPS or whoever delivers it. MANY had issues with hoods arriving with broken areas, whether it was the edges near the top or the very front near the recessed part. You might want to consider having the painter set up before hand and shipping the hood directly to him...with instructions in advance that he needs to be 100% at risk of eating the hood on his end if he fails to inspect the hood and signs for what ends up being a damaged hood , prior to accepting delivery.

If you go with the Trufiber KR recessed hood, it could end up (in the right hands) looking like this:

Last edited by Andretti1; 4/29/10 at 10:01 AM.
Old 4/29/10, 01:36 PM

Non-recessed. I bought mine used and already painted. Received it in great shape, however, the first owner just had it painted and didn't fix all the ripples and stuff so I had to pay the extra $$ to have it done right. For the price I could have just bought a new one. I thought I was saving money, but oh well.

Over a year on the hood with no issues to date.
Attached Thumbnails Trufiber Venom vs Venom II?-hpim1515_2.jpg  
Old 4/30/10, 10:06 AM

I talked with Trufiber. They informed me the Venom is based off the KR Hood and the Venom II is based of the Super Snake Hood. Unfortunately, I still see no difference between the KR and the SS. I thought the SS was installed on the KR models, shows what I know. However, they have yet to confirm if either hood has intake requirements or not. I was curious to know since I was informed the SS hood requires an open source intake which illegal in most states.

Does anybody have any opinions on Duraflex products as well? They also have a KR type hood.
Old 4/30/10, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cruisinketch
I talked with Trufiber. They informed me the Venom is based off the KR Hood and the Venom II is based of the Super Snake Hood. Unfortunately, I still see no difference between the KR and the SS. I thought the SS was installed on the KR models, shows what I know. However, they have yet to confirm if either hood has intake requirements or not. I was curious to know since I was informed the SS hood requires an open source intake which illegal in most states.

Does anybody have any opinions on Duraflex products as well? They also have a KR type hood.

Here are two pictures that clearly show the difference. Initially, they look the same, but look near where the air goes in on the front of the hood....the piece that seperates one hole from the other on the KR extends out further than the SS one. The SS one (IMO) is much more hidden. This should forever clear up for you not knowing the difference between the KR and the SS. I realize these pics are of REAL KR's and REAL SS's, but the Trufiber hoods are based off of this, so you can figure that each hood resembles its 'father' from Shelby. If there is any other difference in the hoods, it is news to me (KR vs SS).

If thats what trufibers site is trying to show, they need to fix their pictures and make it more obvious, cause I cannot even tell and I have the KR one (or call it something other than the Venom II).

Open source intake?? I'n not even sure what you mean..I'm betting that on the underside of each of the Trufiber hoods, they both look either just like the one I posted of mine a few posts ago or almost the same. If I was Trufiber, I would not make two such similar hoods for the same model car and have the underside be that different. This way, its cheaper to manufactuer since they would be from the same mold underneath. If you dont realize it, in my previous post of the underside of the hood, the area on the right side of the hood, where that 'square' type of area is...that is where the air caught by the outside 'nostrals' of the hood is routed to on top of the engine air intake....right where the C & L and NUMEROUS other aftermarket cold air intakes have their filter that pulls outside air into the engine. Even on a stock mustang GT, the airbox is located in this area.

Last edited by Andretti1; 4/30/10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 4/30/10, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about water going in the engine bat trough tose to vents ?

I know the Coil on Plugs are not water friendly !
Old 5/2/10, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

fyi
If you are planning to buy a hood, Trufiber is having a 20% off and the other 20% of the proceed goes to Kevin KC son Andrew's fund who is fighting cancer..this is a chance for forums member to save some $$ and for a good cause..

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=482124
Old 5/3/10, 02:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Like i said one of them is recessed, one isn't. I'm glad o know some things!JK
Old 5/3/10, 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the assistance guys!!!

Anyone have an opinion about hood pins? I wanted my car to have nice clean lines so I didn't want hood pins. However, Trufiber states "For safety purposes hood pins are required for ALL aftermarket hoods". Any opinions are welcomed. I would like to order a hood very soon but I'm wondering if my daily driven car will be ok without hood pins.
Old 5/3/10, 12:36 PM

I've had mine over a hundred a number of times without any issues. However, when the hood was first put on it started to flutter around 70. So I dropped the lock assembly on the radiator support down about a quarter inch and readjusted all the bumpers. After I did that - no hood flutter.

The other thing to consider is that some have had issues adding the pins and others haven't. Since they aren't the factory KR pieces being used I decided I didn't want the headache. Of course, there's always the hidden lock setup by WMS, but I've read that it might not be good to use with a fiberglass hood.