05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

TMPS?????

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/11, 07:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TMPS?????

Whats up TMS! Im going to buy some new rims for my 07 mustang off American Muscle an it say i should add the TMPS to it for 200 bucks. My question is do I really need them and will the car run the same if im dont get them? Or can i reuse the old ones going from OEM rims to 18'' deep dish!

Thanks!
Old 10/16/11, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome!
Are you planning on getting a wheel and tire package or just the wheels? If just wheels you can re-use yours. If you go without them all together, you'll get the annoying tpms fault warning every time you start your car.
Old 10/16/11, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Welcome!
Are you planning on getting a wheel and tire package or just the wheels? If just wheels you can re-use yours. If you go without them all together, you'll get the annoying tpms fault warning every time you start your car.
And every 15 or so miles. It really is pretty annoying. Been driving like that for over two years on my daily driver.
Old 10/16/11, 08:24 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Also, if you are going from something smaller than an 18" rim then you will need new bands. I see you have a v6 so the bands on your TPMS will not fit around the 18" rim if you are still running the stock rims.
Old 10/16/11, 08:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline

And every 15 or so miles. It really is pretty annoying. Been driving like that for over two years on my daily driver.
You must have a loud radio lol.
Old 10/16/11, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

No, just gotten used to hitting the reset button every so often.
Old 10/16/11, 08:42 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

No, just gotten used to hitting the reset button every so often.
Interesting, when I was running without them I only had to hit reset when I started the car. The light would flash a few times and then go out until I shut it off and restarted it again. Then I built at TMPS capsule that I keep in my trunk.
Old 10/17/11, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

What type of TPMS capsule? I understand the principle, but how did you get the sensors to sense a fully inflated tire enough to satisfy the computer?
Old 10/17/11, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chronos
What type of TPMS capsule? I understand the principle, but how did you get the sensors to sense a fully inflated tire enough to satisfy the computer?
The sensor is programmed to alert the driver when pressure dips below a preset PSI.

As far as reusing the TPMS there are replacement bands (we sell them) that can be used to remount the sensor to the new rims.

If you are looking at a wheel/tire combo you'll need to make sure the vendor has included these in the purchase price and has installed them. If your purchasing just the runs and will have the tires mounted later you can do the swap yourself.
Old 10/17/11, 01:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by PureSpeedMotorsports
The sensor is programmed to alert the driver when pressure dips below a preset PSI.
Yes, I understand how the TPMS works. I think I misunderstood what 07S197 was referring to with the TPMS capsule. I thought he had rigged up something to eliminate the need for having the sensors installed on each tire. That would be helpful in changing or swapping rims for looks or season, and for having less problems with tire centers. It seems like some tire centers have been known to break TPMS sensors when doing flat repairs or changing tires. I don't know how the Mustang is set up, but I have read that Toyota's have a separate TPMS module under the dash and if you clip one wire that eliminates the nagging dash warnings. That way you can do as you please with the rims, repairs etc. If you ever want to sell the car all you do is splice the wire back in and replace the sensors and you are good to go.
Old 10/17/11, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Take the sensors and put them in a length of PVC pipe. Good idea is to zip tie them to a paint stirrer or something so they don't rattle around. Seal one end of the PVC pipe and on the other end install an inflating air valve and then seal that end on. Pump to between 30 and 40 psi.

If you take the sensors off the car, keep them with the car until you make the PVC capsule or you'll need to reprogram the sensors. Ask me how I know.

The sensors us RF to signal the TPMS controller. No wires.
Old 10/17/11, 08:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the sensors and put them in a length of PVC pipe. Good idea is to zip tie them to a paint stirrer or something so they don't rattle around. Seal one end of the PVC pipe and on the other end install an inflating air valve and then seal that end on. Pump to between 30 and 40 psi.

If you take the sensors off the car, keep them with the car until you make the PVC capsule or you'll need to reprogram the sensors. Ask me how I know.

So when you buy new tires, do you have them mounted on the wheels at the tire shop and then change them on the car at home?

Because the tire shop said they won't mount tires without TPMS for late model cars.
Old 10/17/11, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know. Also, just to clarify, you can make one PVC capsule and put all 4 sensors inside that capsule.

cdynaco brings up a good point, but I guess the answer would be to pick a different tire shop. I think it would be a really big hassle to unseat the tires and rip out the sensors, but I could be wrong.
Old 10/17/11, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

So when you buy new tires, do you have them mounted on the wheels at the tire shop and then change them on the car at home?

Because the tire shop said they won't mount tires without TPMS for late model cars.
My tire shop was "very" much against taking the sensors off. The manager made sure I knew what I was doing and whether I was unsure of myself. But they mount the tires right there and assume I know what I'm doing.
Old 10/17/11, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by chronos

Also, just to clarify, you can make one PVC capsule and put all 4 sensors inside that one.
Absolutely.
Old 10/17/11, 09:27 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
You need to put them all in the same container. The alert will also show if any of the sensors are not within 10% of the other sensors.
Old 10/17/11, 09:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I can't imagine if you got pulled over and the trunk searched...What would the cop think of the capsule?
Old 10/17/11, 09:45 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
In 23 years of driving and numerous tickets I have never had my car searched. Honestly that thought never crossed my mind.
Old 10/17/11, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
In 23 years of driving and numerous tickets I have never had my car searched. Honestly that thought never crossed my mind.
Edit: too mean

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 10/17/11 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10/17/11, 09:57 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
You can reuse the old ones. It's not a big hassle. Easy job at most tire shops. Doesn't even require a full tire dismount. Some aftermarket wheels even come with an extra hole specifically for the sensors.

Quick Reply: TMPS?????