05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

A tire question, 9's front 10's back

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/08, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tire question, 9's front 10's back

Can all of you that have custom wheels and tires please give me your opinions. I know everyone says for tire size weather its 19's or 20's to go 9's up front and 10's in back. No argument they look good with lots of rubber in back. My question is for all of you that have that set up, how to they ride and wear after you have some miles on them?
I have a friend at work that has an 04 Mach 1, he told me if he had do do it all over he would not, 1) Put different size tires front and back ( 9's in front 10's in back) because he cant rotate them and obviously theses tires are very expensive.2) would not have installed lowering springs to lower the car an inch because every time he hits a pothole it feels like the car is bottoming out hard.
I'm just wondering how the tires wear, given normal driving, not drag racing,you cant rotate them so do the rear tires wear out before the front? I would imagine the front tires edges would round or feather and the rear tires usually get sharp edges, but does any of this effect ride quality? What's the most miles any one has had with 9/10 setup ? Rotating my tires every 5,000 miles I can expect about 50,000 miles on a set of tires but I wouldn't know what to expect if you cant rotate them.
Old 3/10/08, 02:00 PM
GT Member

All your assumptions are correct.
As far as lowering, I would not describe the pothole scenario as 'bottoming out' but you are lower to the ground and the ride is a bit stiffer.
No you cannot rotate your tires and of the cars I have had in the past(93 coupe, 03 Cobra) I had staggered wheel set ups.
Yes the rears wear faster, obvious reasons.
The fronts do feather over time. I had some fronts last 40k miles. My problem has been that typically when I need to replace the rears the second time around(meaning my fronts lasted through 2 sets of rears) the tire manufacture of my front tires no longer made the same tread pattern therefore making me buy 4 new tires.
But, I like to buy tires every 2 years or so regardless of wear. 2 year old rubber gets pretty hard or at least that's my execuse.
Old 3/10/08, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Staggered here and also directional tires, so no rotating. I've had mine on for over 30,000 miles now and they're still looking pretty good. The front of my car has been lowered for all 30k miles and the back has been lowered for 15k miles (returned back to stock height because my side exhaust was scraping on too many things).

That being said, despite the negative camber on the front and the 15k miles of negative camber on the back, there is no visible increased wear on the inner part of the tire. That being said, my buddy who has a lowered 350z and VERY bad wear from having negative camber, so I'm guessing this really depends on the car/tire selection.
Old 3/10/08, 09:16 PM
GT Member

I have 20 x 9s all the way around, really like the feel and setup, not to mention best size !
Old 3/11/08, 03:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nitto 555's all around, 255/45/18 front, 295/45/18 rear. I have over 25K miles on them and there's still lots of life left on them. Rotate shmotate
Old 3/11/08, 06:13 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 18x8.5 in the front and 18x10 in the rear. Once a year I have the tires removed from the rims and swapped around which is a more expensive way of having to rotate your tires because I have directionals. Currently I have over 55,000km on the tires. Either way, they are wearing normally. Car was also lowered and I did not bottom out to much. If you do it properly, with replacement shocks, etc, then it wouldn't be much different than if it was a factory ride.
Old 3/11/08, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MTAS
Nitto 555's all around, 255/45/18 front, 295/45/18 rear. I have over 25K miles on them and there's still lots of life left on them. Rotate shmotate
That's what I have going on my '07 today