05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Tips on caliper painting needed

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/07, 02:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on caliper painting needed

Hi folks,
2006 Vista Blue GT here...want to paint the calipers in a few weeks (also getting some rotorpros so i thought it would be a good time to do it). I'm looking for advice on what color to paint them, i.e. what color would look good contrasted againt Vista Blue car, rotorpros, and the 18 polished wheels.

I'm kinda leaning towards red, but i want a darker red then the G2 kit seems to offer. Anyone know how i can get around this? Can i perhaps get the red and black kits and try to mix slightly to achieve the right shade? Or should i go with another color altogether? What do you all think? How about black with either red or white lettering/decal ("Mustang" or pony logo). I'd appreciate some thoughts.

Also, if someone has pics with dark red calipers i'd love to see them. I've looked through the forum but i don't see any with darker red calipers.

Thanks in advance for the help/advice.
Old 7/31/07, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
black would be nice with white letters... no silver w/ mustang logo, that would be sweet!! and yes, use rotorpros not r1 concept.
Old 7/31/07, 09:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was another thread with some calipers painted blue, that looked hot. Having dealer paint mine same as the body as long as they have the paint in the gun
Old 7/31/07, 10:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I did my old V6 with Ford Red engine paint and that has been on there since i bought the car back in 2003 and still looks good so i am going to do that for this car in the same color, or might try my luck with the G2 kit. I just hate the fact after you do one you have to hurry and do the next or else the paint hardens in the can
Old 7/31/07, 11:00 PM
Cobra Member

Tips.... Do as many coats as possible it will make it hold longer and look much better
Old 7/31/07, 11:16 PM
GT Member

red looks good

I have mine red with white letters spelling mustang, I got the letters and you can also get ponies also from xenonmods.com

If you use the G2 split it in half and mix, that way you only have to do 2 at a time, the paint won't harden to quick as so you can't put a couple of coats on.
Old 8/1/07, 10:17 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dougxox
There was another thread with some calipers painted blue, that looked hot. Having dealer paint mine same as the body as long as they have the paint in the gun
Would they use same quality paint or have to add something to it for durability?/The reason I ask is cuz I wanna see if my bodyshop can paint mine tunsten..thanks
Old 8/1/07, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I for some reason don't have any shots of mine but I will try to snap some in the next day or two. I did mine with the Dupont Kit in Blue and I have received a bunch of compliments. It's a lighter blue than stock obviously but I think red was a bit overdone (IMO). I think red looks great of course but I wanted something that most people didn't have.
Old 8/1/07, 12:38 PM
GT Member

Any thoughts on my dark red idea (kinda like the way the Baer calipers look, a bit darker)...can i just mix some black with red to get darker appearance?

Also, i heard some people apply some clear coat afterwards? do i buy that separate? or does it come with G2 kit? i was thinking of painting, applying the decals, and then putting on clear coat...thoughts?