05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Thoughts On The Bullitt Style Gas Door From American Muscle

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/17, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thoughts On The Bullitt Style Gas Door From American Muscle

I have a 2007 Shelby GT (Black) with 10,000 Miles on it.

I was thinking of a few quick easy mods that would improve the look and the gas door struck my interest. The brush silver matches my silver Shelby Razors and I really thought it would be a good mod.

After it arrived today I immediately installed it but I am quickly having second thoughts.

First of all there is no rubber gasket or anything so I’m worried about the paint. Yes I guess I’m that OCD about the paint job inside the door area.

Also the thing that keeps you from leaving the cap as the pump, I’m not really sure what to do with it. There seems to be a place to put it but when I put it where it looks like it’s supposed to go (the directions don’t say) it won’t close completely.

Anyone have any thoughts on the door and concerns.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10/5/17, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen one with a rubber gasket or anything to keep it off the body. If you attach it properly it won't scratch any paint.

Though mine is from SHR (great company by the way) I just cut that little tether thingy right off of there. I've never left my cap at the pump. You have to close the gas door before you leave so if you forget the cap when you do that you deserve to lose it. Then again I've seen people drive off with the hose still in their tank, You're not one of those are you?
Old 10/5/17, 02:03 PM
GT-500 Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a Shelby gas door that I run on my car from time to time. Every now and then I switch between the stock ford gas door and the Shelby version. I've never had any issues with the paint on the body of the car or inside the fuel neck area.

Good news is the gas doors are cheap and easy to switch out when you feel like changing up the cars looks
Old 10/5/17, 03:51 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Have had several SHR ones and they use little rubber or plastic grommets at the mounting points to keep the metal door frame off the metal car fender paint. From my recollection.
Old 10/9/17, 08:01 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
I don't think I've ever seen one with a rubber gasket or anything to keep it off the body. If you attach it properly it won't scratch any paint.

Though mine is from SHR (great company by the way) I just cut that little tether thingy right off of there. I've never left my cap at the pump. You have to close the gas door before you leave so if you forget the cap when you do that you deserve to lose it. Then again I've seen people drive off with the hose still in their tank, You're not one of those are you?

Then again I've seen people drive off with the hose still in their tank, You're not one of those are you?[/QUOTE] "LOL"
Old 10/13/17, 08:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss

That's not me, at least not yet.