05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Theme ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/05, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't going to post this question, but others seem to be doing so and getting good responses. I have a Sonic Blue GT with Bullits and spoiler delete. I was originally intending to do a Shelby version a' la Adrenlins and dhof303s car, but I am concerned about the number of LeMans striped cars currently on the road. I love 'em, but maybe too much of a good thing? So I am stuck. Can I go with a Shelby look and still stand out in the crowd? I love the Mach 1/Boss look, but if I went that way, what color stripes? Isn't sonic blue too dark to contrast with black stripes, at least on cloudy days? Here are my ideas. Please add your own, with comments, especially what you think goes well with Sonic Blue.

1. Shelby: RK Sport or Fang (in development) hood, ducktail, white rocker stripes, no LeMans stripes. Maybe FR500 or Halibrand wheels. Snakes or CS to replace fender emblems?

2. Boss: '69 or '70 Boss stripes from Auto Trim Design, Shaker Hood scoop, ducktail, painted tail panel, etc. What color stripes? How about trying to match the Bullits? Will a Shaker scoop look ok that color? Mach 1 wheels?

3. Mach1: Like above, but with a '69 Mach stripe on the side. Again, what colors? Black/Gold might stand out nicely?

Thanks
Jim
Old 7/4/05, 06:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White or silver stripes will compliment sonic blue the best. Contrasting stripes stand out more than black and blue. If you want to stand out, this is the way to go. Sonic blue with white or silver stripes screams look at me.

However flat black is best with the shaker hood. So to me it all pivots around the shaker hood. If you get the shaker, black stipes is the way to go. Black and blue is more subtle. Sonic blue with black stripes is more stealthy.
Old 7/4/05, 10:55 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim,

As you might know, I too have struggled with that same dilemma (Shelby stripes vs 69 Mach 1 look)

I would estimate that much less than 10% of Mustang owners will go for the LeMans stripe look, but if that's still too high of a number, I would go with black stripes if you the 69/70 Mach 1 route with shaker.

Keep in mind you could also go with a 69 style flat black hood with shaker and GT side stripes (legitimate options on 1969 GTs).

Here are some links that might help in your decision (you've probably already seen them).

http://www.summitford.com/pages/present/co...geid=6&navid=40

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=28038
Old 7/5/05, 12:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can always go with a "Super Snake" style white or silver stripe if you want to be unique among the "Shelby" look cars. But I think a 69 Mach 1 look would be great on that color blue. Especially if you were to use gold accents to stand out from the black background. Then you could get the shaker if you really want that, and flat black will stand our more against the shiny metallic blue color.

Thanks for your input in my thread too