05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

swingle007

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/05, 08:42 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,

Since you seem to be one of the first to install the Steeda wing and splitter, could you give us a step by step of the install?

On the splitter
How was the quality as far as fitment, was much adjustment needed?
Was it pretty much ready for paint or was there a lot of prep work
How does it attach to the body and with roughly how many fasteners?
Is the hardware provided?

On the wing
Does it use the factory wing mounting holes.
For those of us that took the rear spoiler delete option, will we need additional hardware like the factory wing mount harware kit or does Steeda provide it all?

Could we get a picture of you car full length from the side showing how far the splitter and wing hang off the ends of the vehicle?

If anyone can post info on the Steeda hood as well, I would be interested.

Friday I ordered the Steeda hood, splitter, wing and rear badge with more to come after this stuff is painted. Just excited to get it here and have a ton og questions!

Thanks
Old 1/16/05, 09:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Eric....Can't wait to see your with all the extras bro! I'm about to leave for my Muctang Club of Houston monthly meeting but I'll tackle a few of the easy questions and I'll hit the rest when I get back tonight....

Fitment on the splitter was great. No adjustment of any kind was required. It was pretty much ready for paint when it arrived in the box...Was very smooth and in primer grey color. IT sort of clips onto the bottom inside of the wheelwell. It didn;t come with any mounting hardware screws of any kind so they will need to be provided by your shop in order to mount. I'll need to crawl under it later to get an idea of exactly how they did it and how many fasteners were used.

The wing does indeed use the factory mounting holes..for those who got the delete I'm sure you would need to buy a mounting kit and/or hardware to bolt it in place...I think the only hardware mine came with were the screws to bolt on the winglets which were purchased seperately....you'll need to order the winglets as well if you haven't already as the wing won't look right w/o them as a pair of mounting holes will just be left in each side without it...Would look bad...

I'll throw up a few shots here to give you an idea of how far out they jut...any more you need should be easily found on the two links below my signature....hope this helps...good luck with your install!!!

John
Old 1/16/05, 09:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

another...
Old 1/16/05, 09:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

another...
Old 1/16/05, 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

another...
Old 1/16/05, 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

last one...hope they give ya a better idea of what to expect....talk to ya soon!
Old 1/16/05, 09:30 AM
GT Member

Looks great

Yes, I did also order the billitt winglets as I thought they were a nice touch. I will hit the dealership monday to see what original mount items I am missing.

Roughly how much did paint set you back for the hood, wing, splitter, mirrors and back panel? I have a local bodyshop working up a quote but would like to keep him in line with the rest of the world!

While it appears that our cars will be close, I am working on the exact twin to the SEMA SYQ.

Thanks

Old 1/16/05, 09:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had those pieces done on 3 different occasions....I paid 150.00 for the trunk lid portion between the tail lights, 180.00 for the wing and winglets paint and install, and just paid 550+tax for the mirrors, hood, and splitter paint with install....runs up to 880.00 all together with tax, so I would think if they were done all at once you would see a number around 750-800 or so ballpark.....hope that helps...be sure to pick a quality shop with a long history in the area...mine is backed up for life for any paint defects by a local shop in existence for decades, so I felt confident in using them.....can't wait to see your pics Eric!! It's gonna be beautiful bro....

P.S. Did you get that really tall race wing from the one in the picture, or the lower street wing like mine? Just curious as most people have hated the looks of that one and you said yours would be a clone.....LMK...

John
Old 1/17/05, 10:05 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by swingle007@January 16, 2005, 10:39 AM
I had those pieces done on 3 different occasions....I paid 150.00 for the trunk lid portion between the tail lights, 180.00 for the wing and winglets paint and install, and just paid 550+tax for the mirrors, hood, and splitter paint with install....runs up to 880.00 all together with tax, so I would think if they were done all at once you would see a number around 750-800 or so ballpark.....hope that helps...be sure to pick a quality shop with a long history in the area...mine is backed up for life for any paint defects by a local shop in existence for decades, so I felt confident in using them.....can't wait to see your pics Eric!! It's gonna be beautiful bro....

P.S. Did you get that really tall race wing from the one in the picture, or the lower street wing like mine? Just curious as most people have hated the looks of that one and you said yours would be a clone.....LMK...

John
Thanks!

I got a prep/paint quote today for $1,900 + tax
Steeda called and said the hood, wing and splitter are at least 3 weeks out
again.

I think I will go to bed and pretend this day didn't happen

I got the really tall wing. :shock: I'm not going to worry about how others feel on that subject. I like it and that's all that matters.
Old 1/18/05, 02:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I'm sure Steeda will take care of ya soon enough bro....Definitely need to get some more paint quotes as I'm sure you've already figured out. Anxious to see the wing on yours.....You're right in not worrying what others think....Your payng the notes on it, not them! LOL Keep me posted amigo...

John
Old 1/20/05, 04:09 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by swingle007@January 16, 2005, 10:10 AM
The wing does indeed use the factory mounting holes..for those who got the delete I'm sure you would need to buy a mounting kit and/or hardware to bolt it in place...I think the only hardware mine came with were the screws to bolt on the winglets which were purchased seperately....
John,

Could you take a picture of the underside of your trunk. Need a shot of the wing mount. I went to my Ford dealer today and he didn't list any hardware, only the complete wing. A rough idea of the factory mounting location will be a bonus.