05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Stripes Question

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/08, 06:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripes Question

So I've had some 10" glossy black vinyl stripes for a while now. I bought them with the intention of having them professionally installed but after calling around and getting estimates that are rediculous I haven't got them put on yet. But thats not the main reason why I haven't yet. The main reason is because out of everyone I called no one has any experience on installing stripes, even all the window tint shops. I know, it sucks. I don't live in a country hick town either. I live in a fairly big city. But why pay someone a good bit of money and they could mess it up or mess up my stripes and I have to order some more. Anyways, so after reading through the forums I've read that a lot of people have done the stripe install theirselves. Now FINALLY my question: Do you have to do the install on a hot sunny day? Because I know a lot of people left their car out in the sun after installing to let the stripes "cook" and let any little bubbles go away. Of course you know it is winter time and thats why I am asking. I would be doing the install in the garage. I'm just so ready to install the stripes because they have been sitting in my office for a while. Thanks in advanced and sorry for all the reading.
Old 1/12/08, 09:02 PM
Banned

I have the same question its cold and I am scared to put them on and dont want to wait anymore!
Old 1/12/08, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

No. You don't have to wait for a hot sunny day to put them on. The reason people park in the sun afterwards is to speed up the drying time and get the water to evaporate out from under them quicker. But that is not a "have to" kind of deal.

If you attempt to put them on yourself just make sure you do it with the very wet. The wetter they are, the easier they manouver and the easier to get the air bubbles out.

FWIW, I had vinal stripes for about 18 months, took them off. They just don't look good after a while. And it has nothing to do with improper washing, using wax on them that is not made for vinal, or anything. They just wear. Start to get faded spots in them, and don't look good with time in my opinion.
Old 1/13/08, 01:54 AM
GT Member

Like the post above it is not a "have to" deal. I put mine on in March in Michigan. Just have a hair dryer or a heat gun (be careful with this) at hand to warm them up. The stripes will only stick after the water is evaporated so the heat is needed. That is why it is suggested to do it on a warm day. And I actually believe it has to be in the shade as if it is too sunny and hot it will dry them too quickly not really allowing leway on your part.

I did them myself before I had ever seen anyone do them or read Taco-Bill's how-to. And they came out perfect. Just take your time and Im sure you will do fine. Good Luck.
Old 1/13/08, 07:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Put them on yourself and save big bucks! All the shops wanted over $500 for the install around me. I put them on myself over a 4 day period. Just did 2-4 stripes each day, but could easily do them in one day.

Some tips, and repeating what some have said:

1. Do it out of the sun, in the shade. The sun will make the surface hotter and dry out the solution and make it harder to maneuver the stripes around.

2. Use a lot of water/soap solution. I used something called "Splash" that I got from Graphic Express, but you can make your own with a tablespoon of Dawn and a gallon of water. Actually, before you instal, go to the Graphic-Express website and there is TONS of great info on applying vinyl. I have always used their instructions with great results. And no, I don't work for them, I actually have the BSM stripe kit.

3. Yes, putting the stripes out in the sun will help them dry/cook on faster, but definitely not required. I just wouldn't jump in and drive around for until several hours later. Letting them at least dry overnight should be fine.

But don't be afriad to try this yourself. I had a great time, and they came out great. I messed one piece, and BSM sent me out another piece to replace it for free, but not sure if that's common practice. The bumpers are PITA, and mine aren't perfect at the bumper bends, but looks perfect from more than 10 feet off. Popping of the wiper nozzles is super easy as well.

Don't be afraid to do this yourself. Start out with the hood, it was the easiest (to me). And see how you like it. I did just the hood and drove around like that for a few days just to make sure I liked the look before tackling the rest. But I would do it again. 2 years later, and the vinyl is still looking pretty good. Nothing beats paint, of course, but for $120, I think it's a good mod.
Old 1/13/08, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawgman
FWIW, I had vinal stripes for about 18 months, took them off. They just don't look good after a while. And it has nothing to do with improper washing, using wax on them that is not made for vinal, or anything. They just wear. Start to get faded spots in them, and don't look good with time in my opinion.
True, but if you already have them and you want the look, then put em on. If you have a garage to keep your car in it won't be as bad. Mine got spots on them from the rain, sun, etc. Vinyl stripes are a seven year deal at best. But the price is right. My car is without stripes right now due to windstorm damage that had to be repaired, and I haven't decided yet if I'll re-install, but if I do I'll do it myself again.
You can do them yourself in a heated garage, just make sure you have a helper, some of the pieces are long. Measure your center VERY carefully and put a strip of 1 1/2" masking tape down the center for reference. Stand back and look at it from the front, back, top etc. and make sure it's straight, once the stripes dry, you can't move them. You can work out the wrinkles and bubbles, and there will be some, with a hair dryer and squegee (spelling)? I even came back the next day to work out wrinkles and found it even easier, (as long as it's real wet when you go to bed). If you do that then turn the heat off for the night. It's satisfying as well to do things yourself. So good luck, and be sure to post pics when you're done.
Old 1/13/08, 12:27 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys for the input but I have a couple more questions. 1) Should I use 1 and a half inch tape or 2 inch tape for a guideline down the center? I know a couple of people use 1 1/2" but wouldn't it be hard to guess the 1/2" all along the tape on both sides if I wanted a 2" gap? 2) The windshield washer nozels come off? I thought you had to cut a small "x" where the nozels would be so they could come through the stripes?
Old 1/13/08, 02:53 PM

It's better to remove the nozzles.
Use these instructions:
http://www.baltimorestreetmods.com/i...ecdb8dde0dff7c

The best advice I could give you is: take your time.
Mine took about three weeks to complete because I did one section every weekend.
Plus I had to wait for the winds to die down, I
was doing them outside but in the shade.
Old 1/14/08, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, the nozzles come off Rolan, my BSM kit had holes in the hood stripes already cut for those, that also helps to line up your spacing on the hood.
I used 1 1/2" tape and spaced the stripe 1/4" off that on each side. Really not too bad to do if you get the tape right like I said. It may sound funny, but to me it would be harder to see where you're at with the 2". Let me see if I can explain this. Your masking tape won't be perfect, but make sure you get it in the middle at the ends, ie: the windshield and the back glass for the top. Then when you put the stripe on with the car and stripe wet, you can line up the ends and gently pull it tight. If you step back and look at it at that point, you'll see some waviness in the tape, but the stripe will be straight. That's on the longer pieces, the shorter pieces are easier to get on, but will want to wrinkle more on you from the contour of the bumper etc. Hope that makes sense. It took my son in law and I two days to do it. Take your time and be carefull and you'll do just fine.