05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Stripes - paint or decals?

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/05, 05:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking about a set of "Shelby stripes" for my black GT. First of all, the colour I like is silver/grey (still up for debate though...). My dilemma arises when I have to decide upon whether to go for a paint job or decals (e.g. high-quality 3M decals from www.bobwhitedecals.com ).
I know I have to take into account several factors, so here they are: I live in a relatively rainy country (Holland), with almost no snow or frost in winter and no dust/sand in summer; temperatures vary from low 20s to high 80s (deg. F); I don't have a heated garage, but only an underground parking at home and an open-air parking at work.
Considering a weekly wash, possible waxing/polishing and the obvious need for a better wear resistance (but also the price), what would you suggest? Any idea what the favourite choice between paint and decals is?
Thanks for any input!
Old 4/19/05, 05:52 AM
Cobra Member

thx for moving this topic here, I posted it someplace else by mistake
Old 4/19/05, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, obviously I prefer to have them painted on. However, I knew exactly what I wanted. I spend a few hours with some plastic film and red electrical tape to make 100% sure of what I wanted.

I then spent a few hours selecting just the right shade of red for the stripes. The color is PT Cruser candy apple metalic Red with a slightly yellow tint added to better match the red leather seats which have a bit of an orange cast to them.

My point is, get the vynal unless you are 100% sure of the color, size and spacing of the stripes.

For reference, mine are 10" wide, 1-1/2" gap metalic red. They are painted on with sandaded and buffed clear over the entire panels.

This type of paint job runs $1000 - $2000 bucks ( one guy quotes $3500 )

On your car, I would probably go with pearl white. Silver would look great, but that would be a metalic stripe on non-metalic paint. Might look funny....
Old 4/19/05, 04:16 PM

Go for the paint, you didn't just spend 25K to have it taped up. Tape looks cool from 50ft, when people look at your car with paint they will comment how well it looks compared to other stripe jobs. Also, tape lasts only about 5-7 years in normal living environments, I would guess less where you live.

P.S. I love Amsterdam! Went there last year in January, it was friggin cold, about 6 degrees in the mid day sun. But the atmosphere and night life is awesome not to mention the Hieneken brewery!
Old 4/19/05, 04:53 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, do a search. Tons of info already posted comparing the 2 and my fingers are tired from typing so much.

Derek, guess you only looked at bad vinyl jobs. Most people think my stripes are painted even as they are running their hands across the car, which now they get a for doing.
Old 4/20/05, 10:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are good and bad points to each. Im not stradling the fence here, I prefer paint but Ive seen some majorly hot vinyl jobs.
Rain, no frost, etc you could go either way. There are Shelby stripe
vinyl kits out there already.
Old 4/20/05, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Painted will always look better than a simple vinyl job.
Old 4/21/05, 05:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@April 20, 2005, 12:56 AM
Dude, do a search. Tons of info already posted comparing the 2 and my fingers are tired from typing so much.

Derek, guess you only looked at bad vinyl jobs. Most people think my stripes are painted even as they are running their hands across the car, which now they get a for doing.

Thanks adrenalin, I had already searched before posting and afterwards too (your input was indeed everywhere and very detailed). I just wanted some suggestions considering the kind of environment the car will have to "live" in.
Now I'm leaning more and more towards vinyl, provided the quality is good, the application is done by pros and the warranty/guarantee is what I want. I just hope I'll find what I'm looking for over here (in Holland or Germany).
Old 4/21/05, 06:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw a Shelby Vinyl Stripe kit on e-Bay last January. I'll look again.
It was custom made for the 05. I posted a picture of it but it wasnt well
received. Not allot of people care for it on the new one.
Old 4/22/05, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did anyone buy their kit and then have it installed. I can't find anyone in Indy that will put the vinyl on the bumpers to finish the job. The graphics express kit does not include the front bumper. It is also tapered. Don't have my car yet but, doing the research.