05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Street Scene Centerlight Grill

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/07, 12:39 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
will you all just stop worrying about it There is nothing wrong with them ....
Old 3/14/07, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I payed good green back dollars for my parts. I expect the parts to be every bit as good as the money I pay for them. Where ever they take my dollars it is worth dollar for dollar anywhere they take it. I saw the early SS production articles and they sucked big time due to warpage ... so I waited until they improved the product before I took the plunge. They have apparntly sold about 600 of the new design.

I am not worried, but I do have the right to expect the part to be as right as my money. And if they or anyone else gets it wrong, they need to make it right. There is no excuse for deficient engineering, manufacturing or quality control.

The devil is in the detail!!

PS - Nice install article by the way
Old 3/14/07, 03:30 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Hey, I payed good green back dollars for my parts. I expect the parts to be every bit as good as the money I pay for them. Where ever they take my dollars it is worth dollar for dollar anywhere they take it. I saw the early SS production articles and they sucked big time due to warpage ... so I waited until they improved the product before I took the plunge. They have apparntly sold about 600 of the new design.

I am not worried, but I do have the right to expect the part to be as right as my money. And if they or anyone else gets it wrong, they need to make it right. There is no excuse for deficient engineering, manufacturing or quality control.

I have to agree. And after your review of this part, SS will not see a dime of my money for that grille until all issues are resolved with them.
Old 3/14/07, 06:16 PM

I installed this grill with the screws provided by Street Scenes...they were clearly a size too large for the post holes as they caused fatigue lines in the plastic.

I sent it back to the authorized retailer as a defective product - after all, SS had included the too-large screws and indicated in the instructions to use theirs instead of the ones that came off the OEM gril. Replacement grille + OEM screws worked great; only the fact that it's a quality piece (in the "Land-of-So-Much-After-Market-Crap") made me stay with it.

And I will also say it was a very good experience with the retailer, Ninosport, in the double transaction.
Old 3/14/07, 07:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Some of you are going a little overboard, with returning the grill, or not purchasing it altogether. My grill crazed a little, when I started with the included screws. Once I saw what was happening, I switched to the factory ones, and then no problem. This little problem is too small IMO to keep that grill off my car. I love my grill and get tons of comments about it. Like Adrenaline says, there will be no problem if you use the factory screws from the OEM grill.
Old 3/14/07, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Well that is intersting.

a) my kit came w/o screws

b) I used the factory Torx screws ... and were they ever tight going in

c) Street Scene wrote to me today indicating only the V6 grill comes with screws.

d) The parts list on my instructions does not list to any screws being supplied, so seeing this thing comes from Taiwan, its possible screws were packaged previously at some point to avoid confusion ... i.e. boss, which one gets the screws??

e) the instructions refer to installing the lamps with the Torx screws removed from the factory grill.

I have to admit, aside from the over stressed posts, the quality and fit looks very good and I am quite satisfied with that aspect.

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Some of you are going a little overboard, with returning the grill, or not purchasing it altogether. My grill crazed a little, when I started with the included screws. Once I saw what was happening, I switched to the factory ones, and then no problem. This little problem is too small IMO to keep that grill off my car. I love my grill and get tons of comments about it. Like Adrenaline says, there will be no problem if you use the factory screws from the OEM grill.
Old 3/15/07, 11:46 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Um, are you sure you are talking about the same grill? SS never released a grill that was warped. That was a completely different manufacturer, I know, I had one and it is in my review (pic compares it to SS grill). I expect to get what I paid for as well, I guess I just don't see what the issue is. So there are stress marks on the plastic from the threads on the screw, that doesn't mean something is defective.
Old 3/15/07, 11:49 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I think some of you are forgetting that only the V6 grille comes with screws. If adding this grille on a V6, that means you had to buy fog lights, which unless you ask Ford at the time to include screws you won't get any.
The GT already has the fog lights on the car so you use the factory screws.
Old 3/15/07, 11:53 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by NJ3
I have to agree. And after your review of this part, SS will not see a dime of my money for that grille until all issues are resolved with them.
Really? You won't buy something because of that? To each thier own but seriously, the grill has been on my car since June with no issues. I have even removed the fog lights to put stoneguard on them and the "fatigue lines" don't get any worse. The holes are just drilled, not pre-threaded, therefore since the screws make the threads, the material has to go somewhere, which results in the lines. A lot of plastic parts do this.
I see it all the time in electronic devices (clocks, computers, etc). If the plastic completely split open, screws became loose, etc, then I could understand the issue.
Old 3/15/07, 12:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by adrenalin
Really? You won't buy something because of that? To each thier own but seriously, the grill has been on my car since June with no issues. I have even removed the fog lights to put stoneguard on them and the "fatigue lines" don't get any worse. The holes are just drilled, not pre-threaded, therefore since the screws make the threads, the material has to go somewhere, which results in the lines. A lot of plastic parts do this.
I see it all the time in electronic devices (clocks, computers, etc). If the plastic completely split open, screws became loose, etc, then I could understand the issue.
I've put thousands of miles on my car since putting this grille on and you know what? The foglights haven't fell out
Old 3/15/07, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

Pretty sure it was SS. They sent me pictures when I enquired about the grill before it hit the market.

Don't think have that communication any more ... tryng to keep some disk space free. Will check my files tonight, might still be something left behind.

Stress marks not defective - that is debatable. I have not seen that elsewhere, and definetely not on the Ford part. It could be the plastic mix used by SS (or thier subcontractor in Taiwan) does not have the same physical properties as Ford used. That could be by choice or chance. Just like steel, depending on the recipe, the properties are different. This plastic may not be as ductile as a result of its properties.

For sure the lights are not ready to fall off (yet). But, I don't want to have to replace this a few hot Texas summers down the road. And that is my concern.

Um, are you sure you are talking about the same grill? SS never released a grill that was warped. That was a completely different manufacturer, I know, I had one and it is in my review (pic compares it to SS grill). I expect to get what I paid for as well, I guess I just don't see what the issue is. So there are stress marks on the plastic from the threads on the screw, that doesn't mean something is defective.
Old 3/15/07, 12:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Pretty sure it was SS. They sent me pictures when I enquired about the grill before it hit the market.

Don't think have that communication any more ... tryng to keep some disk space free. Will check my files tonight, might still be something left behind.

Stress marks not defective - that is debatable. I have not seen that elsewhere, and definetely not on the Ford part. It could be the plastic mix used by SS (or thier subcontractor in Taiwan) does not have the same physical properties as Ford used. That could be by choice or chance. Just like steel, depending on the recipe, the properties are different. This plastic may not be as ductile as a result of its properties.

For sure the lights are not ready to fall off (yet). But, I don't want to have to replace this a few hot Texas summers down the road. And that is my concern.
The warped grill WAS NOT from Street Scenes. It was from a company called KSR!! It was a piece os ****!!! This grill we have now, is OEM down to the plastic texture on it.
Old 3/15/07, 01:04 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

From the pictures the plastic looks to be distressed. Maybe it is not a problem but it can't be good either. I really do like the SS grille and it was on my wish list but now I'll just wait and see. I wouldn't think it'd be difficult to drill the holes a little larger or find some different screws, but I'm not going to be the first to try.
Old 3/15/07, 11:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Anyone know where to find the best price on the SS grille?
Old 3/16/07, 01:57 AM
GT Member

Okay, so tonight I decided to get a jump on installing my new SS grill, which I got from V6 Mustang..couldn't have been any easier. The hardest part was getting the old grill off but once I got one tab off the others were easy. The wire installation came in one day before the grill and since I have limited time tomorrow I decided to do the wiring today. 1 1/2 hour later I was all done....and no extra parts either. The instructions were straight forward and easy to follow and everything fit perfectly. The only problem I had was drilling the hole for the fog light switch. My bit was a little too small so I had to file the edges down a bit to get the switch to go in the hole.....and I was just a smidge off....now the switch is just a little off, but unless your on your back looking up at the installation you can't tell...a little epoxy and should be good as new. I will post pictures of the new grill once it is installed tomorrow.....
Old 3/16/07, 09:35 AM
Cobra Member

I got mine at Stage 3 and included free shipping. Best deal I could find.

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Anyone know where to find the best price on the SS grille?
Old 3/16/07, 06:54 PM
GT Member

Okay just finished installing the SS grill on my V6...here are before and after photos
Attached Thumbnails Street Scene Centerlight Grill-front-look.jpg   Street Scene Centerlight Grill-p3160001-2-.jpg  
Old 3/18/07, 04:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I got mine at Stage 3 and included free shipping. Best deal I could find.
Thanks!

Now I need the pony emblem.
Old 3/18/07, 04:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm1961
Okay just finished installing the SS grill on my V6...here are before and after photos

Huge improvement IMO Norm!
Old 3/22/07, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I also received a pre -production sample, as did adrenalin, and used the torx screws from the stock grille and noticed stretching, but no cracks. I put a production unit in for a friend and used the SS suplied screws with no problems whatsoever .

Quick Reply: Street Scene Centerlight Grill