05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Still have steering wheel vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/05, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my rims/tires mounted and balanced and had a vibration/shimmy after around 55-60mph. I removed them and checked that the clips on the lug were removed and took the rims/tires to be balanced again, this time at the local ford dealership to have them road force balanced.

They said they had a problem getting them road force tested because of the size of the rim. I don't get it, they're only 18x9? Even the 18x10s in the back should have been fine on the gsp9700 machine, I just checked the specs. They did say that they balanced them, and that they were fine.

I really couldn't get up to speed on the way home, but later today I went for a ride and when I got up to and maintained 60mph, the wobble/vibration in the steering wheel returned. I checked the lugs and they were all tight. I called the service dept. at the ford dealership back and told him there still was a vibration and he kinda blew me off saying he doesn't know what it could be and since it didn't work with the road force balancing machine they can't do anything. :scratch:

Now I've felt the vibration with the new wheels, returned to the stock wheels and the vibration went away. So I know it's the new wheels, which are said to be balanced fine. What else could it be? I checked the mounting surface on the rotor -no obstructions, clips, anything. Same on the mounting surface of the wheel.
Old 11/15/05, 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

So your dealer has a GSP9700?

You can find more tire retailers that have one here:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

You might want to shell out some $$$ and take your aftermarket wheels to another place.

I'd advise you watch them use "Road Force Variation" and see what your tires spin up. They should be asked to measure rim runout, and set the force to "P-metric" or "P-tires" NOT LT-tires.

Anything less than 20 pounds is decent. Under 10 is a great tire. Also, if it rejects a tire, make sure they realign it on the rim as the machine calls for. Not turning it 90 or 180* guessing BS.

If all goes well, and the GSP9700 should be able to get your tires to run smooth. Also, make them tighten the lug nuts by hand, and then use a torque wrench to factory spec.

Oh yeah, the GSP9700 will do those wheels no problem. If they say otherwise, it's total BS. Feel free to ask any questions. I turned wrenches at Goodyear for 5 years and know my way around a GSP9700.
Old 11/15/05, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

That link is how I found a local dealer that has the GSP9700 and yeah, I feel like they're B.S.ing about the tires not fitting the machine. Since you mentioned working for Goodyear I did find a Goodyear close using Tire Rack's installer locater that uses Hunter balancers, but doesn't specifically say GSP9700. They do have road force balancing though.
Maybe take it here next?

Edit: Just went there and no road force balancing.

The only other place close that has a GSP9700 is a GMC/Chevy dealer. Guess I'll have to take my Mustang to a GMC/Chevy dealer to have the problem fixed/diagnosed.

So could an out of round tire or slightly warped wheel cause this? Really wanna get this fixed ASAP.
Old 11/15/05, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

are your tire pressures even? run them up to 35psi and see what happens.
Old 11/21/05, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, just got back from having them checked out by another dealer that tested them on the GSP. It seems that both front wheels are bent. :angry: What are the chances of getting 2 defective 18x9s? You can't tell by looking at them that they are bent, guess that's why they couldn't figure it out 2 balances ago. Agghhh! I contacted Discount tire and told them after having my wheels balanced, then balanced again, then road force tested that the wheels are defective. So far, they're being really good about it and said they'd ship me 2 new ones. Hopefully these ones are round.

On another stroke of bad luck, my wheel lock key for my stock wheel locking lugs broke while tightening one of the locking lugs today. Anybody know if dealers carry extra, or do I have to order off the card in the pouch?
Old 11/21/05, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Man, you need a break. Sure hope you get it...
Old 11/21/05, 01:39 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by FireDragon@November 21, 2005, 3:16 PM

On another stroke of bad luck, my wheel lock key for my stock wheel locking lugs broke while tightening one of the locking lugs today. Anybody know if dealers carry extra, or do I have to order off the card in the pouch?
I believe the keys are all different so I doubt the dealer would have a replacement.
Old 11/21/05, 02:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dude, sorry to hear about your luck. Glad though you found the problem and are getting two new wheels.
Old 11/21/05, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by blackhat97@November 21, 2005, 3:11 PM
Dude, sorry to hear about your luck. Glad though you found the problem and are getting two new wheels.
Thanks, hopefully this gets fixed soon and I can sport my new wheels for a day or two before I have to put the winter ones back on. I'm mailing out my registration and $10 for a new locking lug key now and just hope I don't need my wheels off before I get it, lol.
Old 11/22/05, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by FinlayZJ@November 15, 2005, 2:51 PM
So your dealer has a GSP9700?

You can find more tire retailers that have one here:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

You might want to shell out some $$$ and take your aftermarket wheels to another place.

I'd advise you watch them use "Road Force Variation" and see what your tires spin up. They should be asked to measure rim runout, and set the force to "P-metric" or "P-tires" NOT LT-tires.

Anything less than 20 pounds is decent. Under 10 is a great tire. Also, if it rejects a tire, make sure they realign it on the rim as the machine calls for. Not turning it 90 or 180* guessing BS.

If all goes well, and the GSP9700 should be able to get your tires to run smooth. Also, make them tighten the lug nuts by hand, and then use a torque wrench to factory spec.

Oh yeah, the GSP9700 will do those wheels no problem. If they say otherwise, it's total BS. Feel free to ask any questions. I turned wrenches at Goodyear for 5 years and know my way around a GSP9700.

You are 100% correct. The GSP9700 will work fine. The machine is only as good as the person using it though. Definitely try another shop with the same machine. If they know how to use the machine, they will solve your issue.

Gus
Old 11/22/05, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SteedaGus@November 22, 2005, 10:09 AM
You are 100% correct. The GSP9700 will work fine. The machine is only as good as the person using it though. Definitely try another shop with the same machine. If they know how to use the machine, they will solve your issue.

Gus
I did as mentioned a few posts above. Turned out both front Smoothie IIs were bent from the factory. Hopefully 2 new ones should be here in a week or so.