05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

steeda control arm pack for lowered cars. 3rd link trouble

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/11, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steeda control arm pack for lowered cars. 3rd link trouble

What's up fellas I need help...

Lowered the car with sport springs from steeda with steeds shock and struts and a stop hop pack aka the control arm pack for lowered mustangs

I installed this yesterday and noticed the 3rd link pulled my axel in because it was about 1/2 inch shorter then stock.

Started to drive and heard whineing at 45-80 mph. I know my pinion angle is off but I don't know why when the kits for lowered cars and it is making the noise.

Any one please let me know if you have experience with this
Old 4/11/11, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

If you know your pinion angle is off, what is the actual pinion angle?
Old 4/11/11, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know the actual angle.its obvious that it is off because the 3rd link is shorter and pulls the axle ... after reading on the steedas website that i could of use the 3rd link for stock height and lowered cars I would of went with that model number 555-4097..

I mean I was told this kit on the phone before was used on a dropped car of 1 n 1/4 inch and that doesn't make a difference but to me it has too
Old 4/12/11, 08:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
that drop shouldn't change your angle to where it would need adjustment. Did you replace your pan hard bar?
Old 4/12/11, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

It can change the angle that amount given production tolerances inherent in the Stang. You were probably just within tolerances but the shortened link has brought it just outside those. You need to measure to make sure (time to get an angle finder), but it likely means lengthening the 3rd link a bit, maybe 1/2 way between the way it came and the stock length. When I replaced mine it was the same length as stock and I've not had problems.
Old 4/12/11, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mptant913
I don't know the actual angle.its obvious that it is off because the 3rd link is shorter and pulls the axle ... after reading on the steedas website that i could of use the 3rd link for stock height and lowered cars I would of went with that model number 555-4097..

I mean I was told this kit on the phone before was used on a dropped car of 1 n 1/4 inch and that doesn't make a difference but to me it has too
When did I say that? I'm the one you spoke to on the phone and the one who answered your emails so I got everything in writing. You bought the kit second hand from someone who didnt use it and asked us for information on the links which I answered.

I had asked you then to get us a pinion angle measurement because if its out of range that could be the source of your noise. You asked me for a write up on what to look for which I had mentioned I would get to you today, but then when I saw you said you knew the pinion angle was off in this thread i figured you finally had a number we could work with.

Without a pinion angle number we cant say what the issue is. I can have that write up for you today still so you can work with it and see what you come up with.
Old 4/12/11, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus

When did I say that? I'm the one you spoke to on the phone and the one who answered your emails so I got everything in writing. You bought the kit second hand from someone who didnt use it and asked us for information on the links which I answered.

I had asked you then to get us a pinion angle measurement because if its out of range that could be the source of your noise. You asked me for a write up on what to look for which I had mentioned I would get to you today, but then when I saw you said you knew the pinion angle was off in this thread i figured you finally had a number we could work with.

Without a pinion angle number we cant say what the issue is. I can have that write up for you today still so you can work with it and see what you come up with.

I spoke to someone else as well. I still don't understand why I need a measurement of an exact pinion angle. If its off its off and that's it right? I am trying to figure out if anyone at steeda knows about this whining noise when they tested this pack with all there lowering kits. What I am trying to confirm is when this product was made it should say that the shorter link for lowered cars is not for 1" steeda sport springs kit for it will whine and I should use the stock length 3rd link instead.

Yea and I did buy it second hand brand new but it doesn't say john smiths control arms. I thoroughly checked the item matched all the numbers and spoke to steeds before I bought the kit a while ago to make sure this pack goes with the sports springs I was told yes so I bought them.

Im asking for the test results from your technicians weather its you or not who tested this pack on your in house mustangs. This type of stuff should be known from you guys when your making and selling a product unless your buying it from elsewear painting it blue and slapping your logo everywhere then I can kinda see why you can't answer my questions.

If u want a pinion angle I will still try to get it I just don't know how it makes a difference when its known that its off. Its not adjustable its a sold one peice item so that's why im asking why if it is made for lowered cars it is pulling my axle throwing off the pinion angle and making the noise.

I still have to put the stock link on and check it all out and I will update on that but don't treat me like I am stupid.

I love your products and always have I just don't get why there is no thorough analysis about each link.

I mean the regular non adjustable stock length says it also can go on lowered cars then why make a shorter link for lowered vehicles?
Old 4/12/11, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
It can change the angle that amount given production tolerances inherent in the Stang. You were probably just within tolerances but the shortened link has brought it just outside those. You need to measure to make sure (time to get an angle finder), but it likely means lengthening the 3rd link a bit, maybe 1/2 way between the way it came and the stock length. When I replaced mine it was the same length as stock and I've not had problems.
I hear you but it already comes shortend so that's why it is so confusing to me what spring application does it really go with. When it says on the website the stock length one goes with lowered cars as well as to avoid hassel I would of bought that one if not advised that the one I own was fine. Imo even if I have the angle its not going to do me good because it is already held in that place by the third link so I can't adjust it back ya know
Old 4/12/11, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

I hear you but it already comes shortend so that's why it is so confusing to me what spring application does it really go with. When it says on the website the stock length one goes with lowered cars as well as to avoid hassel I would of bought that one if not advised that the one I own was fine. Imo even if I have the angle its not going to do me good because it is already held in that place by the third link so I can't adjust it back ya know
Oh, didn't realize it was the fixed length one. I think your answer is that for MOST mild lowering springs (like 1" or so), the stock length arm will work, and the shortened one can work as well, but it all depends on the specifics of your vehicle. The production tolerances are enough that your particular car might be out of spec on the pinion angle with the shorter length unit, but most others would be fine. For the more extreme lowering (say 1.25" or more) the shorter length is needed or they'll be out of spec in the opposite direction.
The adjustables obviously allow this, but the fixed ones you're stuck. If you happen to be one of the unlucky ones (as dictated by Ford's production standards, not Steeda's), then you might need a different length arm.

Also, you still have the stock length lower arms? You can buy adjustables there, as well, and they can help to change the angle, I have the Steeda street/strip adjustables but they're at the stock length as well.

Here's install info for Steeda and J&M's links to get that measured:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...8-install.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-adj...9-install.html
Old 4/12/11, 11:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
its nice of Gus to help you with parts you didn't buy from him.
Old 4/12/11, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Oh, didn't realize it was the fixed length one. I think your answer is that for MOST mild lowering springs (like 1" or so), the stock length arm will work, and the shortened one can work as well, but it all depends on the specifics of your vehicle. The production tolerances are enough that your particular car might be out of spec on the pinion angle with the shorter length unit, but most others would be fine. For the more extreme lowering (say 1.25" or more) the shorter length is needed or they'll be out of spec in the opposite direction.
The adjustables obviously allow this, but the fixed ones you're stuck. If you happen to be one of the unlucky ones (as dictated by Ford's production standards, not Steeda's), then you might need a different length arm.

Also, you still have the stock length lower arms? You can buy adjustables there, as well, and they can help to change the angle, I have the Steeda street/strip adjustables but they're at the stock length as well.

Here's install info for Steeda and J&M's links to get that measured:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...8-install.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-adj...9-install.html
Thank you, You have been a great help to all my posts. Yes the lower arms ar stock length from steeda. I will probably spend the extra money and buy the correct part. That's why I am a lil aggravated. I'm not mad about steeda helping me I just want a straight answer from the people who produced the part thats all and buy the correct one from them. I felt it is something that should of been known or heard of if your testing these types of packs out on in house mustangs with 20years of experience.

The thing is all I have seen are adjustables and stock length ones. Steeda is the only one that I know of that has a shorter length non-adjustable 3rd link. If they are the only ones that make this product there should be more information on it thats all. I could of missed this yes but I research this a lot so.

Thanks again

Its just annoying because I don't want to drive my car and screw up the rear end. I have to wait till the weekend to fix this.
Old 4/12/11, 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

I spoke to someone else as well. I still don't understand why I need a measurement of an exact pinion angle. If its off its off and that's it right? I am trying to figure out if anyone at steeda knows about this whining noise when they tested this pack with all there lowering kits.
I dont see what there is to understand. You have an issue and it needs to be diagnosed. Asking around how to solve it but then doing nothing to figure it out wont fix anything. As others besides myself have mentioned in this thread you need to measure the pinion angle to know if its really off or not. It needs to be measured.

What I am trying to confirm is when this product was made it should say that the shorter link for lowered cars is not for 1" steeda sport springs kit for it will whine and I should use the stock length 3rd link instead.
No it shouldnt say that, cause thats exactly what its for. Finding out when it was made also wont do anything to solve your issue. As I confirmed in our phone conversation the fixed link that is for lowered cars is shorter (.400 shorter, I rounded off to 1/2 inch when we talked on the phone). While this works 95% of the time, not every car is the same. If you have too much negative pinion angle, it can cause the symptom you are having, but unless we know what your actual angle is from a measurement we don't know if its really your issue.

Yea and I did buy it second hand brand new but it doesn't say john smiths control arms. I thoroughly checked the item matched all the numbers and spoke to steeds before I bought the kit a while ago to make sure this pack goes with the sports springs I was told yes so I bought them.
And that is correct, thats what its for. Now that you are having an issue though action needs to be taken to see what is causing it.

We extensively test everything we sell. Do a search and you will find plenty of videos and other evidence of us testing parts. Also this part has been on sale in its current state since July of 2006. Its not our first rodeo with this part.

No one is calling you stupid. You are being asked to work with us to solve the issue by taking a specific action, you are being asked to measure the pinion angle. Customer service works like this:

1) Customer purchases an item
2) Customer has an issue with the item
3) Customer works with the vendor to solve the issue.

Right now we are missing #3, take some action and check out the pinion angle so you can move towards finding out what the issue is.
Old 4/12/11, 02:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Its just annoying because I don't want to drive my car and screw up the rear end. I have to wait till the weekend to fix this.

Hey calm down, we have all been there with parts and tunes etc... Gus is working with you. He wants to make it right and get you the correct info that you need. Measure the angle like he asked you to do and he will get to the bottom of the issue.
Old 4/12/11, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dont see what there is to understand. You have an issue and it needs to be diagnosed. Asking around how to solve it but then doing nothing to figure it out wont fix anything. As others besides myself have mentioned in this thread you need to measure the pinion angle to know if its really off or not. It needs to be measured..............

Gus,

I hear you I am not trying to cause an issue. I said I will find out everything this weekend. Can I please though have what the correct pinion angle should be on a 1"lowered mustang with your steeda sport springs. I will get back to you on Monday.

Thank you for the help.
Old 4/12/11, 09:00 PM
Cobra Member

For what it's worth, I was a bit pissed when I found out the front billet AR brackets I bought (Steeda pieces) won't work with the AR bar braces (also Steeda) I already bought. Had to grind down the tabs to make them fit. Then found out neither are likely to fit with the lightweight radiator support (also Steeda) I just bought, or the AR bar I have (which from my understanding is Steeda/FRPP/Eibach). Seems like they should all be designed with the others in mind....

That being said, I was following a thread on a different forum about that lightweight radiator support possibly not working with the AR bar (I haven't yet tried it, hope to soon) and the Steeda rep there (I don't think it was Gus??) said he'd swap the bar for me if needed if it doesn't fit. My opinion is Steeda generally stands behind their stuff, no matter where or from who you bought it, and will work with customers within certain limits to rectify problems. Their stuff is quality, too.

Don't wanna put words in their/Gus's mouth(s), but they might go as far as getting you a replacement (ie stock length) piece if that's what's determined to be needed. They're often more worried about word of mouth and having a long-term customer than the cost on a small piece like this...

But MAN, those third links are a PITA!! to install -- hated that. So if you did it yourself I can understand not looking forward to replacing it if needed. (or for paying for it to be done, if that's the case)

Cheers
Old 4/13/11, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

You will want to see between minus 1 and minus 2 degrees pinion angle. If its minus 3 or more it could be a cause for noise.
Old 4/13/11, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

You will want to see between minus 1 and minus 2 degrees pinion angle. If its minus 3 or more it could be a cause for noise.
Ok. What should the actual degrees be?
Old 4/13/11, 10:04 AM
Cobra Member

Ok. What should the actual degrees be?
so desired is negative 1 to 2 degrees as Gus indicated, more negative than that isn't so good.

http://www.steeda.com/faq/?View=entry&EntryID=14
Old 4/18/11, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Could not measure the pinion angle because not one store had one ... replaced the steeda 3rd link with the stock 3rd link and the noice went away completely
Old 4/18/11, 12:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Could not measure the pinion angle because not one store had one ... replaced the steeda 3rd link with the stock 3rd link and the noise went away completely

Quick Reply: steeda control arm pack for lowered cars. 3rd link trouble