05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

some new stuff

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/06, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GATORBAIT9696@January 11, 2006, 5:20 AM
Bill,
How about flag ponies(side emblems) to match the grill? Or which would you suggest for a PW? Kevin
Hey Kevin, flag ponies for the side would be good or you can carry the flames outside doing something like a really pretty candy blue flame to bring the blue in the flag to the side of the car.......if you have the red interior you might want to consider the candy reds for flames.( both on the PW base color)
Old 1/11/06, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@January 11, 2006, 5:36 PM
Ok, since I have got your attention...

That above image is just a concept of what I want done to the topside of my covers.

This is what a cam cover for the 3v looks like when painted black

The cam covers can be powdercoated via an exchange program with Hawgman in the Other Mods forum for around $100 for basic colors.

My exchange is coming up soon and Im considering having my black wrinkle covers sent directly to Hireman so he can add his magic.

This just may be a new business relationship if people like what you do to my covers.

-Dan
Hey Dan, I'm not so sure about the paint work after you do the wrinkle finish powder coat....the problem there is powder-coating takes pretty good heat for the process to work right........and if we do paint on top of powder coating there could be an adhesion problem and keep in mind that we usually spray 2 or 3 coats of clear........it wouldnt look too good to just clear the part we paint...things to think about :scratch:
Old 1/11/06, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the paint would adhere to the powder coat, would the paint even be able to last under 300* temps?

Do you not have any ideas of what could be done?

I know I could do without the clear coat(s) cause Im pretty sure the flame would look good regardless.

-Dan
Old 1/11/06, 09:10 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Looks good Dan!!!
Old 1/11/06, 09:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by S197 GT@January 11, 2006, 8:13 PM
Looks good Dan!!!
I got my new credit card today, Im gona rule the bay area streets now female dog!

Im just kidding

-Dan
Old 1/11/06, 09:23 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by Cleveland@January 11, 2006, 9:22 PM
I got my new credit card today, Im gona rule the bay area streets now female dog!

Im just kidding

-Dan

You've been a step ahead of me on the "food chain" for as long as I remember. I will eventually catch up to you and be the true Nor Cal Bay Rider!!!!
Old 1/11/06, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

my suggestion is donth ave them PC'd and send them to hireman, and have him paint them with acrylic eurethane, it'll withstand the 300+ temps.....thats what I paint my show engine blocks with.
Old 1/13/06, 05:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@January 11, 2006, 11:10 PM
If the paint would adhere to the powder coat, would the paint even be able to last under 300* temps?

Do you not have any ideas of what could be done?

I know I could do without the clear coat(s) cause Im pretty sure the flame would look good regardless.

-Dan
To start with...Hireman, that is some of the absolute coolest paint work that I've ever seen!! I can't quit looking at those flames and that pony with the skeleton!! COOL!!

Now, I'm not sure what type of paint that Hireman uses but typically there shouldn't be any problems with the paint sticking to the powder coating. Unless of course you are talking about the wrinkle finish. Due to it's obvious texture I'm just not real sure how well that finish would work with paint. Now with the clear coating you shouldn't have any problems either. Although it's obviously better to have the piece being powder coated cleared with powder...ANY clear can work. All the parts that I coat, with the exception of wrinkle finishes, get a clear coat. If you are going to have Hireman do some of his magic on a powder coated piece it would probably be best to have the powder coater NOT clear the part and have Hireman clear the whole thing when he finishes his paint work.

And about the question concerning if the paint Hireman uses would hold up under 300* heat. Your cam covers should never reach 300* temps anyway should they?

Again Hireman...that stuff is unreal...I assume that you will add paint to any part..not just for Mustangs?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 1/13/06, 11:21 PM
Cobra Member

Okay, all I need is a final suggestion to have this done.

If I have to go without the "wrinkle" finish to have the flame work done, so be it.

Black Powder Coat with Hireman Flame type it is.

It may be hard to understand so I may have to talk to you over the phone but...

To get the look that I want you basically have to mask off the top surface of the cam cover (only revealing the Ford Racing logo and pin stripe concept from the other pictured valve covers) and airbrush flame over the whole masked surface. It will give the illusion of having cutouts that reveal flame from within the engine.

Does that make sense?

-Dan
Old 1/14/06, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MorrisPowderCoating@January 13, 2006, 7:38 PM
To start with...Hireman, that is some of the absolute coolest paint work that I've ever seen!! I can't quit looking at those flames and that pony with the skeleton!! COOL!!

Now, I'm not sure what type of paint that Hireman uses but typically there shouldn't be any problems with the paint sticking to the powder coating. Unless of course you are talking about the wrinkle finish. Due to it's obvious texture I'm just not real sure how well that finish would work with paint. Now with the clear coating you shouldn't have any problems either. Although it's obviously better to have the piece being powder coated cleared with powder...ANY clear can work. All the parts that I coat, with the exception of wrinkle finishes, get a clear coat. If you are going to have Hireman do some of his magic on a powder coated piece it would probably be best to have the powder coater NOT clear the part and have Hireman clear the whole thing when he finishes his paint work.

And about the question concerning if the paint Hireman uses would hold up under 300* heat. Your cam covers should never reach 300* temps anyway should they?

Again Hireman...that stuff is unreal...I assume that you will add paint to any part..not just for Mustangs?

Thanks,
Kevin

Thanks for the compliments Kevin! Yeah on any powder-coated parts we would like to do the clear coats over the artwork and the entire piece. Sure we will paint on most anything too ;-)

Bill C.
Old 1/14/06, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Awesome work Bill! Do you do ghost stripes perhaps as well?

You are not too far from me and I already have a list of things I would like to have done once I get my car.

Kevin, I may have some things for you as well in time. There is a set order of things I want done but eventually I would like to get some of the engine parts powder coated as well.

I hope your son is safe no matter where he is and my thanks for his service.

Old 1/14/06, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MilStang@January 14, 2006, 1:49 PM
Awesome work Bill! Do you do ghost stripes perhaps as well?

You are not too far from me and I already have a list of things I would like to have done once I get my car.

Kevin, I may have some things for you as well in time. There is a set order of things I want done but eventually I would like to get some of the engine parts powder coated as well.

Yep we can do any type of custom painting

Bill C.
Old 1/14/06, 01:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by MilStang@January 14, 2006, 1:49 PM

He is in the desert of Arizona right now...he is leaving for Iraq Feb 01...we, of course, are concerned...but we know he is trained well and we know that people that we've never even met will be praying for him and his unit......knowing that helps!

-Kevin
Old 1/14/06, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by MorrisPowderCoating@January 14, 2006, 2:56 PM
He is in the desert of Arizona right now...he is leaving for Iraq Feb 01...we, of course, are concerned...but we know he is trained well and we know that people that we've never even met will be praying for him and his unit......knowing that helps!

-Kevin

Kevin, if your son needs any advice or list of things to bring let me know, I am currently in Iraq right now. Tell him good luck and not to worry (you and his mom as well), it's not as bad as the news makes it out to be
Old 1/14/06, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Same here as I just returned from Afghanistan earlier this last year and will be going to Iraq probably later this year or the beginning of next year.

What part of Iraq is he heading to this time?

...and to keep it on topic. Thanks Bill! I will definitely be in touch about some paint jobs. I'm just waiting to get the car....and waiting...and waiting.

Summer can't get here fast enough.