05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Smoked Taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/06, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoked Taillights?

Alright its time for my black stang to get some smoked lights. I tried doing some searches but didn't turn up much. Wheres the best place to get them? And if you've done it, lets see some pics! Thanks guys!
Old 11/4/06, 05:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bluebatmobile.com
Old 11/4/06, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The easiest way to get them, is to paint them on your own. Mix about 2 oz blk with 1qt clear. Prepsol and scuff the lenses (mask off the back-up lens) lay out the mix until desired results. Will post pics of mine. btw, I tinted out all my red and yellow lenses.
Old 11/4/06, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Painted lenses

Here they are! There is about 3 coats of the mix one each red lenses, a little more on the yellow lenses. NO SAFETY ISUUES at ALL! Passed MASS INSPECTION! VERY VISIBLE AT NIGHT!
Attached Images     
Old 11/4/06, 08:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Before Shots

Found a couple of "before shots". Not best quality, but you can see the HUGE difference. btw...have done this to a Black and a Torch Red (sorry can not locate the pics) 05 and the contrast is ten times greater. An inexpensive upgrade that greatly improves exterior appearence!
Attached Images   
Old 11/4/06, 10:58 PM
Cobra Member

Wow thats really interesting..... hmmm
Old 11/5/06, 12:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by delz05
The easiest way to get them, is to paint them on your own. Mix about 2 oz blk with 1qt clear. Prepsol and scuff the lenses (mask off the back-up lens) lay out the mix until desired results. Will post pics of mine. btw, I tinted out all my red and yellow lenses.
Not so as you can purchase the covers that snap in. I have them on my GT. Send me your E address and I'll send you a photo. I only know how to do it in the E mail area. When I remember where I purchased I will tell you that also. You CAN NOT run these at night because they block too much light and are illegal. Painted on are also illegal because you can not remove it for night operation.
I made my covers for the fogs out of static cling limo tint. I think the cost was about $10 from Auto Zone.
Old 11/5/06, 01:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I got mine from bluebatmobile.com along with overlays for the turnsignals and rear side markers. I ended up not installing the taillamp overlays because I didn't like the look.

Here's a few pics showing the difference between stock and tinted.

Here's a few more before and afters.

I hope that's enough pics. Don't forget to click on the pics for a enlarged view!
Old 11/5/06, 02:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Mr. Mongoose, the lenses that I have painted ARE NOT ILLEGAL. More than adequate light emits from all the lenses. I suppose if one was to paint them jet black, they would not allow light to pass thru. This is not the case here. Again, MY CAR HAS PASSED MASS STATE SAFETY AND EMISSIONS Inspection. As for cost, I have about an hour of labor time and about 5.00 in materials invested in this mod, to cover all the lenses on my car, and my nephews 01 Cobra. If you feel as though the lenses are too dark for you taste, then simply use less blk color when mixing with the clear, or lay fewer coats on the lenses. (I use between 3 and 5) btw...aftermarket "smoked" covers ARE darker than what I have done to my car. (comparing them to ones I have seen at local car shows).
Old 11/5/06, 04:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Mr. Mongoose, the lenses that I have painted ARE NOT ILLEGAL. More than adequate light emits from all the lenses. I suppose if one was to paint them jet black, they would not allow light to pass thru. This is not the case here. Again, MY CAR HAS PASSED MASS STATE SAFETY AND EMISSIONS Inspection. As for cost, I have about an hour of labor time and about 5.00 in materials invested in this mod, to cover all the lenses on my car, and my nephews 01 Cobra. If you feel as though the lenses are too dark for you taste, then simply use less blk color when mixing with the clear, or lay fewer coats on the lenses. (I use between 3 and 5) btw...aftermarket "smoked" covers ARE darker than what I have done to my car. (comparing them to ones I have seen at local car shows).

I now see your location and that explains it. Most liberal state on the East coast. Sorry. I remove mine at night so I am able to see where I am going as they are very dark.
Old 11/5/06, 04:59 PM
Cobra R Member

WOW I screwed up and sure blew this one. You are talking tail lights and I am thinking headlights. I have a set of new tail light covers. Covers center light also. I will sell you for $25 shipped. I changed my mind and did not use them.
Old 11/5/06, 05:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wondering because I would rather paint then use a vinyl layover, how much would a body shop charge for this?
Old 11/6/06, 01:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I can only speak for the shop I used to work in, and is owned by a close friend. He charges 250.00 for the 2 fronts, two sides, two tails and the 3rd brake light. This includes removal and re-installation, along with giving the car a bath and a quick detailing. Perhaps if you remove the lenses yourself and bring them to a shop, I think 150.00 would be a fair shop price, for all 7 pieces.
Old 11/6/06, 01:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Mr. Mongoose...while I agree that Mass is probably one of the most liberal states in the Union, (much to my regret), I enjoy the comedy of our State government. I also figured that you were a bit off with the tinting issue (Still enjoying a World Series hangover?) when you wrote about removing them in order to see at night. Either that or reverse is your favorite direction. Take care!
Old 11/6/06, 02:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Hey Mr. Mongoose...while I agree that Mass is probably one of the most liberal states in the Union, (much to my regret), I enjoy the comedy of our State government. I also figured that you were a bit off with the tinting issue (Still enjoying a World Series hangover?) when you wrote about removing them in order to see at night. Either that or reverse is your favorite direction. Take care!
I said I was screwed up and was thinking with my rear about headlights.
No World Series hang over. Just old age. Surely you know how old farts are with slow minds. I did find as I aged that it was the second thing I lost and the first one was not the car keys.
Old 11/6/06, 03:21 PM

That really looks good.
Old 11/6/06, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I must admit that of all the things I have lost in life it is my mind I miss the most. Now...what were we talking about?????
Old 11/7/06, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
heres mine just used window tint
Attached Thumbnails Smoked Taillights?-picture-516.jpg  
Old 11/7/06, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

wow Rjuice that look really sweet. Did you do that yourself? If so HOW?

Mongoose.... what kind do you have? Do you have anypics? Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Old 11/7/06, 12:47 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I had the tint overlays at first, but swapped them out for the Xenon Tail Light covers....

Stock:

Tint Overlays:

Xenon Tail Light Covers:

Quick Reply: Smoked Taillights?