05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Silverhorse billet fuel door

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/06, 12:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check it out. I'm very happy with the quality of this product. It is very strong and built well. The fit is excellent and I think it looks great on the car. Let me know what you all think.

-TRB
Old 1/15/06, 12:58 PM
GT Member

another view
Old 1/15/06, 12:58 PM
GT Member

close-up
Old 1/15/06, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks great. The whole car looks great.
Old 1/15/06, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks great Jeromy! I also really like the white stripe combo on your ride....
Old 1/15/06, 06:13 PM
Cobra Member

I thought that was the Shelby... Great looking car and the billit door is slammin.
Old 1/15/06, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. After I get my performance mods installed I think I may add a CDC or SS ducktail and a CDC classic chin spoiler (making sure to stripe both) once I have the money. I think that will help complete the look. I'm also lowering the car soon, so I may reconsider the chin spoiler once I see how low it gets.

Also, Marcello from Silverhorse Racing is working on some flush mount quarter window louvers that I would also consider. I think they will help with the look I'm going for on my car if they look like I hope they will.

-TRB
Old 1/16/06, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just installed mine as well but the bottom part sticks out just a little bit. Did you have that problem too?
Old 1/16/06, 07:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TheRealOne@January 16, 2006, 1:46 PM
I just installed mine as well but the bottom part sticks out just a little bit. Did you have that problem too?
It sticks out maybe a hair, but nothing I'm worried about. Overall I'm very happy with the fit of the fuel door.

-TRB
Old 1/17/06, 12:29 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jorge,

You might want to shim it a little one way or the other, or you can alternatively sand down a little of the delrin spacer to obtain a perfect fit. Due to production tolerances and such, plus the fact that the delrin spacers are "off the shelf items" some vehicles may exhibit this, and others may not. We saw a little bit sticking out on the top of some of our prototype pieces on our car, but on another car the same pieces were fine. It all depends... we aren't driving a Lexus here where you can roll the marble around all the body lines

Personally, I'm really surprised at all the variances we find when working on stuff. You'd expect that in 2005 a car could be made that fits together with very little slop on tolerances, but I guess we're just dreaming there. In the meantime, we'll keep trying to make our parts as accurately as possible, and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 1/17/06, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

That looks SO AWESOME!

Question, anybody seen the GT medallion for the trunk in the same finish as the cap (brushed)? I thought Street Scene had one out.. they have it in their car...

Any help would be great
Old 1/17/06, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Marcello, Thanks for the info. I'll try that but it looks great none the less!!! By the way, you can still use the tether on the gas cap if you cut away the clip on it and use it as a spacer in the back.
Old 1/17/06, 12:56 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TheRealOne@January 17, 2006, 1:35 PM
Marcello, Thanks for the info. I'll try that but it looks great none the less!!! By the way, you can still use the tether on the gas cap if you cut away the clip on it and use it as a spacer in the back.
Thanks for telling me that after I already cut mine. :bang: Oh well. I'll just have to make sure I don't leave mine at the pump accidentally.

-TRB
Old 1/18/06, 05:01 PM
Legacy Tms Member

No problem guys, I'm glad you like them. I think down the road we'll start tapping an additional hole that will allow you to retrofit the existing tank cap onto the billet door housing, but that's off a ways, as we already have around 500 in final preparation stages. One of those things that I never gave any thought to until after the designs were approved and everything....

Anyway, as to the billet center...

No sooner we put the fuel door on our car we realized we needed one on the back, because although I like the factory emblem, a chromed piece of plastic just doesn't do it justice once you've seen the fuel door installed. WE're going to do them in all the same styles, so that customers can match the components around the car. Please wait and see what we come up with, just have to get it where I want it...
Old 1/19/06, 06:47 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Marcello, are you guys doing the GT side emblems and the Pony in the front with the same finish!?!?!? THAT would be awesome, and you have a customer FOR SURE!

Let us know
Old 1/19/06, 10:43 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Umm, we haven't considered the side emblems, but they would be "stupid-simple" to produce, so if the market demands it, we could do it.

As to the grille pony... no. You can't machine the shape involved, especially the mane on the horse's head, without really small tools, which drives machining time through the roof. For one piece you could do it, but for mass production, you'd have to charge a fortune for it. I don't mind asking a fair price for a quality piece, but I'd guess you'd be up in the 300.00 range easily for a billet emblem, and that's if you could sell a large # of them.

I am however taking delivery on 50 of Hireman's ponies, so we'll have them up on our site in a couple weeks. They are quality pieces, and I'm happy to be able to offer them to customers.
Old 1/20/06, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Marcello, what if you were to do a pony shape for the front, none of the bumps or anything, just a flat piece of billet metal with some engraved lines?

If the sides were to match the billet fuel door, and if it's not costly, that would be a great alternative in my mind...

Anyhoot, great news on the back medallion, I really liked the concept that SS had introduced, but they never did anything with it.

Keep us updated!
Old 1/20/06, 10:30 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Always trying to keep everyone in the loop!

As to the pony...you're still looking at a costly piece. I have one we machined in wax on my desk (actually looks really cool in blue wax scaled up a little in size) but you can hog out wax even with small tools in a real hurry. When you move up to metal, the game changes, and you have to realize that average rates on good CNC equipment run at around 1.00 or so per minute. That doesn't include tooling, fixturing, handling, anodizing / plating, overhead, etc... so you see where this could go.

That said, if the demand is there, I can do the timestudies on it to see what it would cost to make a few, but I don't think it is going to be cheap by any stretch. I'd need at least ten people that would be commited to a piece before starting cost analysis, but you would be rewarded with a very unique piece.

Of course SilverHorse Racing would do well to design a nice Silver Horse for the front of the Mustang, so I'm not saying I wouldn't like to do this...

Oh, and it would be after the taillight bezels for sure, so there's time for people to think about jumping onboard that list.
Old 1/23/06, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

Sounds like SilverHorse Racing has some neat stuff in mind for us! Thank you!
Old 1/25/06, 10:12 PM
Legacy Tms Member

I'm trying Just making stuff I want for my own car that nobody else is doing (or doing right in my opinion), and sharing with the class once I have them right.

BTW, Torchred, you should have mail in your mailbox within the next day or so if you didn't already receive it. Should work well for you. I expect pictures when you're done !

Quick Reply: Silverhorse billet fuel door