05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Sick of caliper paint chipping

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/06, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick of caliper paint chipping

Well the duplicolor caliper paint I put on around 9,000 miles ago continues to chip and flake. I prepped the surface, cleaned it thoroughly, even gave it a light sanding to promote adhesion and let the paint sit for 3 days before using the car. Still, it chips.

And I'm sick of it.

Today I tried sanding it away by hand, using a little bit of caliper cleaner to help soften it up, but the stuff is just a PITA to get off.

Can anyone give me an easy way to remove the stuff? Does it ALL have to be removed if I am going to put G2 caliper paint on? I'm hearing that this stuff is more resilient, so, that's my next step.

The problem is removing all, or at least enough/most to promote good adhesion of the new stuff.
Old 7/27/06, 02:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G2 is the kit that I am buying in the next day. I hear its terrific stuff, and there isn't any issues with chipping paint. Can't wait to order it tomorrow. Now just have to decide colors? Blue or for some reason, Yellow?
Old 7/27/06, 02:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Now just have to decide colors? Blue or for some reason, Yellow?
Hmm yellow would be different.
I would like to see a set of calipers painted G2 Blue on a Vista Blue car to see how close the color match was.
This would make my color decision very easy.
If G2 Blue = Very Close Match to VB, then Blue it is, otherwise I will go with the standard RED.
Old 7/27/06, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went black with my G2 kit.
Old 7/27/06, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe you can take the caliper off and soak it in some paint thinner or something like that? No idea if that could even work...just an idea...sanding is a PITA!
Old 7/27/06, 03:51 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with the rough surface sanding the paint off will be painstaking

I suggest trying gasoline or laquer thinner... they should be able to get the paint off... use in well ventilated area, no smoking, yadda, yadda
Old 7/27/06, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll try a coarse rag and some laquer thinner. Thanks for the tips.
Old 7/27/06, 06:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
Hmm yellow would be different.
I would like to see a set of calipers painted G2 Blue on a Vista Blue car to see how close the color match was.
This would make my color decision very easy.
If G2 Blue = Very Close Match to VB, then Blue it is, otherwise I will go with the standard RED.
Hey Daryl, the only, ONLY, reason, I was even thinking of painting the calipers yellow, is two reasons. The first, yes, it would be totally different, and the calipers would be really pronounced. The second reason, on alot of Boxster S and Cayman S models, and some high end Porsches (911 Turbo, GT2, GT3) they have Yellow Calipers. Now, personally, the though of my calipers being painted yellow is like 2%. I'm pretty set on ordering G2 Blue in the morning.

Daryl, when the paint comes in, and I can't get to the job, I'll just paint a small piece of cardboard, and hold it next to my car, so you can see how close the color is to Vista Blue.
Old 7/27/06, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Or, you could just sand them down and then polish them

2.5 hours later they the fronts will look ok and you won't have even started on the rears.

Seriously though, I like the look and it's different, just takes a huge amount of time. I think each of the fronts will take another 30 min's to an hour, and the rears will each take the same. then I need to spray em with a clear to protect them. It's worth a shot if you're worried about chipping.
Old 7/27/06, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i know people say that G2 is the best but i bought some engine paint (Ford Red) for my 2000 V6 when i had it and the stuff lasted for 2 years and about 30,000+ miles and it did not chip or fade just needed to clean them to get the brakedust and grime off of them....i am going to do the same to mine when i get the chance and the red was the exact shade i was looking for
Old 7/27/06, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

is there a link for the G2 kit or where to purchase one ??

Thanks.
Old 7/27/06, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I ordered mine from a place on the net called Hubcapsplus.com -- Was free shipping and one of the cheapest prices I could find.

I found some 80 grit sandpaper and that seems to be doing the trick. Getting into the nooks and crannies will be tough if even possible without removing the calipers completely.

I'm hoping these spots won't hinder paint adhesion, and will thoroughly sand and clean as much as I can.
Old 7/28/06, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I used duplicolor on my calipers and find the occasional chip here or there, especially after the dealer does a tire rotation ,etc. Really ,there is no need to strip the caliper for a chip or two, just touch it up . The paint blends fabulously ,the surface is pebbled anyway,and who is going to see any difference unless they use a magnifying glass!
Old 7/28/06, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Radman
Or, you could just sand them down and then polish them

2.5 hours later they the fronts will look ok and you won't have even started on the rears.

Seriously though, I like the look and it's different, just takes a huge amount of time. I think each of the fronts will take another 30 min's to an hour, and the rears will each take the same. then I need to spray em with a clear to protect them. It's worth a shot if you're worried about chipping.

You are polishing your calipers??? Now that I would love to see!

The only time I painted my calipers I used red hi temp engine paint and it never faded or chipped.
Old 7/28/06, 09:03 AM
V6 Member

I am not sure what type of paint this is, but if it enamel, soak each of them in a small tub of castrol Super Clean Cleaner-Degreaser for a few hour. depending on how many coats you used it could tkae an over night soak. Then use a bristle bush to scub it off.

Tony
Old 7/28/06, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Daryl, the only, ONLY, reason, I was even thinking of painting the calipers yellow, is two reasons. The first, yes, it would be totally different, and the calipers would be really pronounced. The second reason, on alot of Boxster S and Cayman S models, and some high end Porsches (911 Turbo, GT2, GT3) they have Yellow Calipers. Now, personally, the though of my calipers being painted yellow is like 2%. I'm pretty set on ordering G2 Blue in the morning.

Daryl, when the paint comes in, and I can't get to the job, I'll just paint a small piece of cardboard, and hold it next to my car, so you can see how close the color is to Vista Blue.
When you do this please post pics I have been throwing blue vs red around for WAY too long! See I want to put those white decals on and a blue caliper with white decals would look amazing on my already striped car.
Old 7/28/06, 08:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
When you do this please post pics I have been throwing blue vs red around for WAY too long! See I want to put those white decals on and a blue caliper with white decals would look amazing on my already striped car.
Hey Tom, I have my Blue G2 Caliper paint kit on order and should arrive middle of next week. As soon as I have the time (if it comes Wednesday, I can apply it Thursday AM, before work), I'll post all the pics I can. You and I as well as having the same car, have the same thought process with our calipers. I have the white MUSTANG letters on order and should be here (hopefully) before the paint. I think they will look awesome with Vista Blue. BTW, I see your in NJ, where abouts? I have a few friends I go to car shows with over there. You should join up with us on the next car show if its close and your interested. My crew are a bunch of cool people who love cars. Let me know dude.
Old 7/29/06, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well some 80 grit, a corase wire brush, and a can of brake parts cleaner did the trick. I could not get ALL of the paint off, but I got most. I applied the G2 and it went on very well and dried very fast, stuff seemed quite potent and wanted to stick to anything it touched. I'll leave my car in the garage til tomorrow and begin taking notes how it holds up.

Unfortunately, my only gripe is that since I mixed the reactor with the paint in the can, the leftover ( which was not much at all ) became unusable. So if it does chip, I'm not sure how I'm going to touch it up.

Buying a dremel and doing some polishing sounds like a good way to pass the time though.
Old 7/29/06, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
You are polishing your calipers??? Now that I would love to see!

The only time I painted my calipers I used red hi temp engine paint and it never faded or chipped.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'll try to take some pics and post em tomorrow. As I said, I'm not satisfied with the current results but I like the direction they're going. Massive amount of work but they should be unique. Just need to get everything done in time for the TMS meet in Birmingham......
Old 7/29/06, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I use black grill paint. Doesnt have the bling but its easy and looks better than nothing.

Quick Reply: Sick of caliper paint chipping