05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

SHR quarter louvers came loose...

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/08, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SHR quarter louvers came loose...

I bought and installed a set of the SHR quarter louvers. As I was driving yesterday I heard a tpping sound from the back. When I looked, I could have sworn I saw one of the louvers moving. WHen I got hom, I checked and was right, it was loose. I installed them back in late March.

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem like this, or if you think it's probably because it was too cold back in March for the adhesive to cure???

I also didn't purchase the adhesive from SHR, I got some windshield adhesive.

As a side note, the adhesive isn't apart from the car, it's just didn;t stick to the louvers themselves.
Old 6/11/08, 09:44 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like the louvers weren't scuffed and adhesion promotor applied. ?
Old 6/11/08, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I definately used the adhesive promotor, but possible I didn;t scuff them enough. I was FREEZING out there doing them... LOL
Old 6/11/08, 07:55 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
was it the adhesive promoter SHR sells? theres different types, the stuff Marcello sells was recommended by 3M - part number 08682(according to the little bottle I still have).

I was kinda suprised when I did mine as to how the primer almost 'melts' into the lexan as you dab it on...

I had to redo mine as I didnt follow instructions the first time, and skipped the recommended promoter, put mine in in February of last year(one of the first few sets shipped out), and they both popped out first full sunny day it sat out in June. Reinstalled as per the directions, no problems.

Did you use the 3M fast cure urethane? (p/n 08690)
Old 6/11/08, 07:57 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually scuffed, then applied a self etching primer, scuffed again and then applied the adhesion promoter.
NOTE: This is NOT the adhesion promoter for painting plastics, etc. I've seen people make that mistake before.
Old 6/12/08, 05:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I took them back out last night. Looks like I needed to scuff them a bit more. Everything else seemed fine. The adhesive was laid out really nice in the window frame and was on ther GOOD. Looks like my mistake was not scuffing the louvers well enough and that's where my problem was. Spent most of the night trimming back the adhesive and I'll be re-doing them tonight... with PLENTY of scuffing!

Thanks for the replies.
Old 6/12/08, 12:47 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaving for SuperStangFest right now, but wanted to chime in - at low temperatures, the urethane will not bond nearly as well, and can be "skinned" which holds for a while, then releases when it gets through enough heat cycles. I don't have the #'s in front of me, but I recall in temps below 45 they don't even much show the stuff curing at all, let alone how long it would take. Just a point since it sounds like it was a bit frigid when you did it last time.

On the plus side, if they aren't bonded right, removal normally consists of gently pushing on the louver from the inside, in which case you'll have a clean pull away from the urethane - if it was all still on the car with little or none on the louver, that's the telltale that the bond never occurred.
Old 6/12/08, 04:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

So I checked mine after reading this thread and see that on both sides where it tapers towards the rear window is loose. I think I made the same mistake and did not skuff the louvers before installation. The rest of them are on solid and I see no play at all, it's only at the narrow part towards the rear.

For those that have removed them, what was the easiest way to do so without damaging any paint?
Old 6/13/08, 04:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure how yours will be since you only have a small part that's loose. FOr me, they literally peeled away. Definately did not cure properly. In your case you may need to remove them the same way you did your windows, very carefully...

BTW: It was definately the need for scuffing AND enough promoter this time around. When I first installed, not only did I need to use tape to keep them in place but that even seemed to be shifting. This time around they stuck almost instantly. I only used the tape to be sure, may not have needed it. I also noticed that while it was still not easy, the adhesive flowed better this time. It was almost impossible to get it out back in March, again probably due to the cold weather.

Last edited by EastCoast07GtCs; 6/13/08 at 04:43 AM.
Old 6/13/08, 05:01 PM
GT Member

Man, that sucks. I had mine installed by a glass shop so they better not come loose! I'm going to check them this weekend now.