Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SHR Louvers Installed!

Now the fun begins...

Almost finished!

All done!

Old 5/27/08, 09:55 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great. Props to you for doing it yourself - I paid a shop to paint and install mine. Just didn't trust myself to cut that glass out!
Old 5/27/08, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job, well done.
Old 5/27/08, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice! If they offered them pre-painted, I'd be all over that.
Old 5/27/08, 11:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by bigray327
Nice! If they offered them pre-painted, I'd be all over that.
Guess what? They do! SilverhorseRacing does in deed offer them in Factory colors. As a matter of fact, it's the best way to go. Put's it all on them, No worries finding the "right" shop to do the work, let alone the prep work. And every single one is hand inspected before they leave SHR.

Come on, pull the trigger, and Join the Club. Best mod I've done for looks.
Old 5/27/08, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

FLAstangx3 is correct. These were a B'day gift (March) from the gf and 'rents. They bought them prepainted and the match is spot on!

Last edited by 69Mach1-409; 5/27/08 at 12:53 PM. Reason: I has no speellling skillz >.>
Old 5/27/08, 01:26 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice install job. Looks great! Yes, they're available pre-painted, and that's they should be bought, IMO. They're way too difficult of a piece for someone to try and do just once unless they've got some genuine skills or really have the time to take and do it right. Most local 'production style' bodyshops, etc don't have the combination of talent and time from my experience.
Old 5/27/08, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

hmmmm, this just might find its way to my list of future mods I wonder how a set of these painted black would look on my silver mustang? I have to give this a little more thought after the LT install.
Old 5/27/08, 05:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeet
Old 5/28/08, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks again! ^.^
Old 5/28/08, 02:49 PM
Legacy Tms Member

No, thank you!

Looks awesome - glad the color match work was good for you - that normally our painters do real well with.

Now if we could just get one of our painters back on his feet - took a dive off of a second floor loft, 3 broken ribs on the backside, he's not a very happy camper at the moment... and I expect he's going to be out of comission for at least a couple more weeks.

On a positive note, our second painter is picking up most of the slack, so we're not dead in the water, just not getting ahead as quickly as we had hoped now that we have the room to store more of them finished to lower our delivery times on painted sets.
Old 5/30/08, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

Recent pics
Old 5/30/08, 12:48 PM
GT Member

I just got mine from fedex today, quality of the product and the paint job are both outstanding.

How tall of a beed did you use of the sealer?

I hope to get mine done this weekend before I leave for vaction, if not will be a few weeks before I can do them.
Old 5/30/08, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
No, thank you!

Looks awesome - glad the color match work was good for you - that normally our painters do real well with.

Now if we could just get one of our painters back on his feet - took a dive off of a second floor loft, 3 broken ribs on the backside, he's not a very happy camper at the moment... and I expect he's going to be out of comission for at least a couple more weeks.

On a positive note, our second painter is picking up most of the slack, so we're not dead in the water, just not getting ahead as quickly as we had hoped now that we have the room to store more of them finished to lower our delivery times on painted sets.
OUCH.

Side question:
I live in AZ--Has SHR ever done any extreme use testing as far as heat resistance for these louvers? I dig the look, but I'm worried the attaching adhesive might fail in our 120* summers

Comments?
Old 5/30/08, 02:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope you water tested it before you put your interior back in.
Mine was done and I washed the car and the interior was all wet.
I bought the SHR solvent and tube crap and both windows leaked. Soooo I had
to take the interior back out and I got the glass place put it in and no leaks.

Last edited by Barricade; 5/30/08 at 02:43 PM.
Old 5/30/08, 02:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

man those look good!!!!
Old 5/30/08, 03:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Lampoon
Did you use the 3M primer on both the car and the backside of the louvers? I did the install at home as well and did not use the 3M primer on the louvers. My passenger side came apart over time (usually on cold days, I'd hear it creaking).

The Urethane was a PIA to work with, so I bought a Craftsman 19.2V caulker and it made the sealing job EASY as can be...
Old 5/31/08, 06:34 AM
Cobra Member

Yup, water and air tested (per instructions) before I reassembled the interior.

Originally Posted by PenguinGT
"Did you use the 3M primer on both the car and the backside of the louvers? I did the install at home as well and did not use the 3M primer on the louvers. My passenger side came apart over time (usually on cold days, I'd hear it creaking).
Yup, used the primer, but I didn't think it was that bad. Though if you get it on your hands it doesn't come off. I still have traces of it on my hands now!
Old 5/31/08, 10:55 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
OUCH.

Side question:
I live in AZ--Has SHR ever done any extreme use testing as far as heat resistance for these louvers? I dig the look, but I'm worried the attaching adhesive might fail in our 120* summers

Comments?
Customers in AZ have them, and we're in FL where it reaches 95 in the shade at 100% humidity - in the sun vehicle temperature (which is the real issue with this piece) can easily exeed 140 F in the daytime, no problems there. The resin is stable to around 515 F before it really starts to go into a melt phase, so I think you're safe from that - although if it gets that hot out there, I'd suggest checking to make sure we're not in a nuclear war

The urethane / promoter is the same stuff used by Ford, GM, etc, by the same supplier, so that's a non-issue there.

I'm sorry to hear about that - I'd be shooting from the hip without more details, so I won't go into possible causes, but using 3M adhesives and the proper techniques, this is not normally a problem. Obviously you had an issue with it, but without details, it's hard to guess where the problem happened in the bonding process. Add to that the variations in temperature and humidity (which really affect bonding time) that are out there, and without a discussion with the installer, it's just guessing on our part as to where the failure was induced.
Old 5/31/08, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
Customers in AZ have them, and we're in FL where it reaches 95 in the shade at 100% humidity - in the sun vehicle temperature (which is the real issue with this piece) can easily exeed 140 F in the daytime, no problems there. The resin is stable to around 515 F before it really starts to go into a melt phase, so I think you're safe from that - although if it gets that hot out there, I'd suggest checking to make sure we're not in a nuclear war

The urethane / promoter is the same stuff used by Ford, GM, etc, by the same supplier, so that's a non-issue there.
hahahaha

Cool, thanks for the info. Might pick a set of these up later this year, I dig the look.

Quick Reply: SHR Louvers Installed!