05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

SHR Fuel Door - Difference between polished and satin?

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/08, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SHR Fuel Door - Difference between polished and satin?

What is the difference between the polished and satin SHR fuel doors? I can't tell from the pics on the website.
Old 1/9/08, 01:21 AM
Cobra Member

The polished is shiny and the satin is more of a silver.
Old 1/9/08, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Anyone have pics of the satin? I've seen polished on Taco Bills's car.
Old 1/9/08, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is a picture of a satin fuel door from another thread. Notice there's no reflection when you look at it.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...1&postcount=21

Here are some pictures of a polished fuel door. Notice a slight reflection in the surface but nowhere near as shinny as chrome. This is the door I have and it matches the stock 18" polished fanblade rims really well.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...8&postcount=41
Old 1/9/08, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for that. Still hard to see much difference in the pics, but I have the fanblades as well and was leaniong toward polished, so now it's definite.
Old 1/9/08, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the same question when I was ordering and originally thought I'd want the satin one. But seeing as how that would be the only satin part on the car it started not to make sense. Matching the rims did make sense. This probably still doesn't help but here are some pics of my car with the fanblades in the pic. Matches real nice! (note: these pics were taken before I fully installed the fuel door so that's why it doesn't look fully lined up in the pictures. It was just resting in place.)
Attached Thumbnails SHR Fuel Door - Difference between polished and satin?-img_0824_before.jpg   SHR Fuel Door - Difference between polished and satin?-img_0825_after.jpg   SHR Fuel Door - Difference between polished and satin?-img_0831_rear_closed.jpg   SHR Fuel Door - Difference between polished and satin?-img_0832_rear_open.jpg  
Old 1/9/08, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Polished, in direct sunlight.

Old 1/9/08, 02:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Satin

Old 1/9/08, 07:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also food for thought. A polished door will have to be polished to keep it looking nice just like polished wheels. The Satin will require nothing.
Old 1/9/08, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Also food for thought. A polished door will have to be polished to keep it looking nice just like polished wheels. The Satin will require nothing.
Not always true Richard... my factory polished Bullitts have a clear coat. Possibly the SHR door too, all I've done do it is use some detail spray and it still looks good (going on almost 2 years).
Old 1/9/08, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Am I the only one who can't tell the difference? Antway, thanks for all the pics.
Old 1/9/08, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

paint it body color...not so ricey looking that way
Attached Images  
Old 1/9/08, 11:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
How do you get ricey looking when some of the older ones came with one or something similar to one.
Old 1/10/08, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rash
Am I the only one who can't tell the difference? Anyway, thanks for all the pics.
I think it's time to upgrade your computer monitor.

j/k.. one's more reflective than the other, that's about it.

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
Okay Larry...
Old 1/10/08, 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Not always true Richard... my factory polished Bullitts have a clear coat. Possibly the SHR door too, all I've done do it is use some detail spray and it still looks good (going on almost 2 years).
I knew i should have said that as someone would point it out.
Old 1/10/08, 03:17 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah Richard (just kidding)

Seriously, ALL of our billet products we manufacture (unless someone calls up for a special order) are anodized or plated - nothing bare ever goes out of this shop for appearance items that we make, it just doesn't make sense, I don't care what it costs to have it done.

So, you will never have to polish our polished finish pieces. The anodizing does "subdue" the polish work to some extent, but it means that there is zero maintenance beyond just having to wash it with the rest of the car. The chrome definitely needs TLC, as it is real chrome work, and is very susceptible to the elements if not washed and waxed like clockwork (on the exterior - interior does pretty good).

FYI, I have the polished pieces on the exterior of my own #05 car. They have been on for about two years now, FL sun, rain, salt, and have zero defects - and that car is lucky if it even gets washed once a month...

Oh, and to add a little tech to this....

Here's a picture of all four finishes next to one another - like has been mentioned, one is shiny, one is more "aluminum" in appearance. We've considered consolidating down to three finishes, but they all seem to be popular for different reasons, so we continue to carry them all. Satin is upper right, polished is upper left, chrome lower left, and black anodize lower right.
Attached Images  
Old 1/10/08, 06:13 PM
Cobra Member

It's is funny because when i was typing my original post I thought I should probably mention unless the aluminum is coated. Then thought Nah that an obvious point that they should know. Leave it to someone to bring it up.
Old 1/10/08, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Marcello - great pic, I can now see the difference. Thanks.

Question - why does the design of the fuel doors in the picture look different than the design on, for instance, Taco Bill's car (other than the lack of GT logo)?

Also, is this door satin or polished? http://www.americanmuscle.com/shr-bi...or-2005gt.html
Old 1/10/08, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rash
Marcello - great pic, I can now see the difference. Thanks.

Question - why does the design of the fuel doors in the picture look different than the design on, for instance, Taco Bill's car (other than the lack of GT logo)?

Also, is this door satin or polished? http://www.americanmuscle.com/shr-bi...or-2005gt.html

The picture marcello showed is the fake fuel door replacment for the back of the car not the real fuel door on the side. He was just posting to show the differences in the finishes he offers.

I'm petty sure the the door on the link you gave is the satin which is called brushed aluminum a lot. You can also tell becuase the the visible grain in the metal. The polished fuel door is a lot smother.
Old 1/11/08, 08:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^
|
|
What he said

Quick Reply: SHR Fuel Door - Difference between polished and satin?